You are not connected. Please login or register

Flecks of gold in the turds.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:06 am

Ludders

Ludders

Are there any New Series moments or just little touches where you feel they got it just right?
Even if they just proved to be flecks of gold in the turds of everything they got wrong?

2Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:08 am

iank

iank

The Angel coming out of the video at Amy.
Total Ring rip-off, but beautifully done. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:14 am

Ludders

Ludders

Good call.
For me, I liked the emperor dalek in PotW. The look of it, and the voice. Not the script.

4Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:17 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I loved how the body horror of cyber conversion was briefly showcased in World Enough and Time, and recalled the more disturbing elements of the superior 60s Cybermen very well. Shame none of it amounted to much by part 2.

5Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:25 am

Ludders

Ludders

I haven't seen that one, I had already bailed before Capaldi took over.

6Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:29 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Probably the best course of action. You wouldn’t believe the sheer awfulness Of Death In Heaven, Hell Bent or Twice Upon a Time. At what point did you bail?

7Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:35 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:Probably the best course of action. You wouldn’t believe the sheer awfulness Of Death In Heaven, Hell Bent or Twice Upon a Time. At what point did you bail?

Asylum of the Daleks is the last one I remember. Although I have seen that Magician's Apprentice 2 parter, as curiosity got the better of me. But since then, nothing.

8Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:37 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

God- Asylum Of The Daleks is so fundamentally broken as a script that it hurts. What a pile of shite that was. And the Magician’s Apprentice is equally awful. They’re both contenders for the worst Dalek story of all time, regardless, which is saying a lot.

9Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:48 am

Ludders

Ludders

Yeah, I was already hanging in there for dear life by then, but the sheer drudgery of AotD finally did for me.
I watched Magician's Apprentice with some trepidation about what they would do with the whole Daleks/Davros back story, and suffice to say there was nothing in it to tempt me to return to the series.
Capaldi was yet another waste of potential due to the terrible scripts and contrived characterisation enforced on him.

10Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 9:54 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Indeed. I think his later characterisation was especially egregious, as he seemed to be morphing into an even more caricatured version of Smith from series 7. I think Moffat can only write the character in said caricatured manner (excluding Smith’s early self), evidenced by Davison’s characterisation in Time Crash (where he suddenly seemed to morph into a caricatured imitation of himself). Though Davies was guilty of this too.

The few bright spots in Capaldi’s era are completely drenched by the shit, to put it mildly.

11Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 10:03 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:(excluding Smith’s early self)

Glad you made that distinction. After a comparatively promising start, I expected it to at least keep up with the apparently deliberate turn away from Tennant's forced whackiness, but sadly it gradually slid back to more of the same.
After hanging in there for so long, this disappointment was too much to bear along with everything else about Moffat's era.

12Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 10:10 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I still prefer Smith to Tennant by several light years, and I prefer him to Eccleston too (who just seemed uncomfortable for most of the time, though series 1 doesn’t hold up at all on a re-watch). Tennant was largely irritating for his entire era, whilst Smith was great during his first year. He just plummeted along with the writing of Moffat’s era, and became rather Tennant-lite later on.

13Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 10:19 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:I still prefer Smith to Tennant by several light years, and I prefer him to Eccleston too (who just seemed uncomfortable for most of the time, though series 1 doesn’t hold up at all on a re-watch). Tennant was largely irritating for his entire era, whilst Smith was great during his first year. He just plummeted along with the writing of Moffat’s era, and became rather Tennant-lite later on.

Agreed.
Eccleston's season has made for disappointing rewatching in more recent times, even though back in the day I preferred his season over any of Tennant's.
In fact, rewatching almost all NuWho has only only engendered the opposite of appreciation.
I 'like' it even less now than I did at the time. Sadly, the flecks of gold only enhance the sheer waste of potential, overall.

14Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 10:26 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I also vastly preferred series 1 to series 2-4 initially, though don’t rate it at all anymore. The biggest disappointment for me on re-watch was Dalek, which seemed very generic and unchallenging with some particularly awful directing towards the end, and the ending itself is just appalling. Eccleston himself is also dreadful during said ending ‘I couldn’t...I wasn’t...’. Just awful. Every 60s Dalek story is aeons better as far as I’m concerned, and POTW was pretty rubbish on re-watch as well.

15Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 10:31 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:and POTW was pretty rubbish on re-watch as well.

Yes, only the emperor dalek really does it for me.

16Flecks of gold in the turds.  Empty Re: Flecks of gold in the turds. 7th August 2019, 4:47 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

A lot of the design work is pretty good.

The music is memorable, only overused and in the wrong places.

Moffat's pre-Moffat writing was good, even a few later stories.

Cornell's stories are fine too imho, at least independently.

The cast is quite good for most of the run.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum