You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you feel about Murray Gold's music?

+2
Rawkuss
Pepsi Maxil
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I like a few bits and pieces from series 1 and 2. It seemed to get more bombastic and annoying after that.

I can't even remember any pieces of music from the Capaldi era other than the 12th Doctor's theme. His music had become so dull and repetitive by that point.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I wish I had something more insightful to say than, 'I hated it', but...

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Murray Gold was great. One of the few redeeming qualities of NuWho.

He had a decent amount of some rather excellent songs under his belt:

- Vale Decem
- Four Knocks
- The Rueful Fate of Donna Noble
- Doomsday
- This is Gallifrey
- Infinite Potential
- The Doctor's Theme
- The Daleks
- Madame De Pompadour

His work during the RTD era is far superior to his work during the Moffat era, but even then he still managed to pull a couple of decent songs out of his ass.

iank

iank

He was alright in series 1. Got very boring after a couple of years, and stayed on years after his sell-by date. Should have gone with RTD.
Wish they'd go back to individual composers for different stories, but fat chance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Gold's music is one of the very worst aspects of NuWho - overbearing, bombastic and (and in some cases) wholly inappropriate. In an act of sheer masochism, I subjected myself to a rewatch of 'The Long Game' (don't ask) and noticed two things:

1)How scruffy-looking Eccelston is.
2) The incidental music was slightly less 'in your face', more synth-based, less Wallace and Gromit's Brass Band(as it became).  

The fact that MG has cleared off is the only positive thing I anticipate for Series 11 (if I were prone to 'looking forward' to a season of NuWho, which I'm not..). However, his replacement will no doubt continue the NuWho tradition of cheesy, sub-John Williams, mock-operatic, overwrought orchestral shite.

You cannot whack a bit of the old Musique concrète.

Mott1

Mott1

It's the choral chanting, in Hollywood superhero trailer mode, that characterises Gold's Moffat-era work. Even worse than his soppy synth and string arrangements during the RTD era's romantic Rose bits. Hateful.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Clara's Theme is quite lovely. It's one of the few themes post Series 5 that I remember:

I still love her.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum