stengos
Pepsi Maxil
Tanmann
burrunjor
Doctor7
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 10:46 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Ronnie wrote:
Kaijuko wrote:I don't know why 'Star Trek The Motion Picture' gets so much stick - it's really rather marvellous! (and that's not just because I fancy the arse off Lieutenant Ilia Wink ).  Yes, it's slow and ponderous in places but no more so than films like '2001: A Space Odyssey' or 'Solaris'

Do you want a quick-buck, empty, pop-corn, commercially friendly movie or something (that at least tries to be) more thoughtful and profound?  
Smashing Jerry Goldsmith score, too.

Well I think it doesn't necessarily have to be an either/or scenario, as later Trek films have shown.
I think my reaction to it at the time (I also saw it in 1979 at my local cinema) was probably based on having grown up on the TV series, and this film seemed to lack all the character and presence of said series, and the characterisation that underpinned the success of it.
Also I'd already seen 2001 and wasn't really looking to see Star Trek try to emulate it, albeit within its own universe. By the same token, Star Wars had already done the 'popcorn/commercial' thing, and I get that the Trek producers wanted their movie to be above that level.
Ironically, whilst 2001 is one of my favourite films, I think Star Wars is more entertaining to watch than ST:TMP. Ultimately, I think the producers were too self-concious about what type of film that they wanted to make, that they forgot about the characters that made Star Trek what it is.

Yes, Star Wars is, if nothing else, massively entertaining but I wasn't trying to demonstrate how ST: TMP was superior to the Lucas space opera. I like both films for different reasons (although back in 1979, 15 years old me would have definitely prefered Star Wars - I wasn't really an ST fan at that stage).  Maybe they had to get that whole 'Philosophical/Mysticism' business out of their systems before they moved onto more character/action based instalments, indeed, more like the old series (See 'Wrath Of Khan').  I get why people may have a problem with TMP but I personally have a soft spot for slow, thoughtful sci-fi flicks.  Maybe Star Trek was never meant to be slow and thoughtful (dry, even) but it was at least a brave attempt to try something a little unexpected, and I love it.

27Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 10:51 am

Ludders

Ludders

Fair comment. Can't argue with that.

28Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 11:04 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Ronnie wrote:Fair comment. Can't argue with that.

Cheers!! Big Grin
(Why can't people on 'Gallifrey Base' be as reasonable and pleasant when they find out they don't like the same stuff? It's much nicer here!).

29Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 11:12 am

Ludders

Ludders

Ha!
I have no doubt. It's been years since I looked on there. I was never a big fan of huge forums where your comments get lost.
In fact it might've still be called Outpost Gallifrey last time I bothered with it. Lol

30Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 11:22 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:Ha!
I have no doubt. It's been years since I looked on there. I was never a big fan of huge forums where your comments get lost.
In fact it might've still be called Outpost Gallifrey last time I bothered with it. Lol
I’ve never actually explored that place in my life; it’s infamous enough to the extent where I steered clear of it. LOL

31Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 11:26 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Ronnie wrote:Ha!

Thankfully, I've been banned from GB, but I imagine it's just as insanely unpleasant as it always was. Rabid new series fans worshipping at the altar of Goddess Whittaker, while Jon Blum, NuWho apologist extraordinaire, seemingly watches over the site constantly, like Cerberus guarding the gates of a NuWho Underworld.
Quite awful.

32Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 11:48 am

Ludders

Ludders

Kaijuko wrote:while Jon Blum, NuWho apologist extraordinaire, seemingly watches over the site constantly, like Cerberus guarding the gates of a NuWho Underworld.

LOL

Ironic that he wrote an early Big Finish story that I thought was pretty good at the time. The Fearmonger. Not listened to it in years though.

33Best and worst Star Trek films? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best and worst Star Trek films? 21st September 2019, 12:16 pm

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Ronnie wrote:
Kaijuko wrote:while Jon Blum, NuWho apologist extraordinaire, seemingly watches over the site constantly, like Cerberus guarding the gates of a NuWho Underworld.

LOL

Ironic that he wrote an early Big Finish story that I thought was pretty good at the time. The Fearmonger. Not listened to it in years though.

Credit where it's due, I also like 'The Fearmonger' (anything featuring Jacqueline Pearce gets my vote) and despite some reservations, even enjoyed 'Vampire Science', an early 8th Doctor novel, written by Jonathan Blum and Kate Orman.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum