iank
burrunjor
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Issue One Content Empty Issue One Content 17th February 2017, 10:08 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

What should we include in the first issue? I've already done the intro and I'll write a short Doctor Who parody that can be continued in each issue.

We could do something about Class and series 10, predictions and any news or something. What about a list of the 10 worst moments in nuwho?

I also thought about making some fake advert pages for a laugh.

https://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

2Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 17th February 2017, 10:42 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Should we have a thread to vote on the ten worst moments of Nu Who or just leave it up to the writer's discretion? Cyber-Brig has to be in there. It would probably be number one for me.

Fake adverts are good cos they counterbalance the negativity with humour. Will have to go have a think about the rest. Work is heating up over the next week or so

3Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 17th February 2017, 10:44 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Also, as I said to Mike on the other site, somebody could do a history of the Hive piece

4Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 17th February 2017, 10:45 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Issue One Content 14aeavl

5Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 17th February 2017, 10:51 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

@Rawkuss yeah the worst moments would be a vote. We can nominate moments and the 10 that show up the most can go in a poll to decide the order.

And a Hive history piece could be good.

6Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 17th February 2017, 11:36 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Reviews
Character analysis
Somebody could invent a drinking game
Opinion piece
Fiction/poetry
Convention report if there is one
Articles on films esp. SF like Star Wars, Star Trek, Arrival or other TV programs plus Big Finish

One slight problem with all this is that many of us don't log on much till the series is on TV. Things could be quite slow moving

7Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 10:04 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Thought I would transfer Mike's thoughts in case they get lost somewhere:

"Call it Metebelis 3 as a throwback our origins. Or Logopolis Metropolis.
From memory:

BBCi forums -> whoredux -> Logopolis Metropolis (could be t'other way round) -> TLH -> this twatosphere."

8Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 11:12 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

I'd be happy to contribute. I already run a blog that has over 100 thousand views. I'd be happy tow write an article about other SF shows. I really like the new Flash series and would love to review that. Ironically it suffers from some of the same problems as New Who however (needlessly convoluted timey wimey plots, repetitive story arcs,) but it manages to overcome them unlike New Who as it has good stand alone eps, great characters, and the makers clearly have love and respect for the source material too. They cast Mark Hamill as the Trickster for instance rather than Sarah Silverman!

As for voting for the worst moment in New Who, well I agree that Cyber Brig is up there, but I'd also like to nominate about 6 moments with Missy LOL. The kiss, her reveal, Osgood's death, the Mary Poppins bit, her head coming through the glass, and any scene of her cringey flirting with the Doctor.

Other dishonourable mentions for the Jesus Doctor bit "EVEN YOU CAN'T STOP THEM THINKING!", Doctor Donna, the Anne Droid, the Master race, the Abzorbaloff reveal, and the hatching of the moon egg.

9Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 11:32 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

burrunjor wrote:I'd be happy to contribute. I already run a blog that has over 100 thousand views. I'd be happy tow write an article about other SF shows. I really like the new Flash series and would love to review that. Ironically it suffers from some of the same problems as New Who however (needlessly convoluted timey wimey plots, repetitive story arcs,) but it manages to overcome them unlike New Who as it has good stand alone eps, great characters, and the makers clearly have love and respect for the source material too. They cast Mark Hamill as the Trickster for instance rather than Sarah Silverman!

As for voting for the worst moment in New Who, well I agree that Cyber Brig is up there, but I'd also like to nominate about 6 moments with Missy LOL. The kiss, her reveal, Osgood's death, the Mary Poppins bit, her head coming through the glass, and any scene of her cringey flirting with the Doctor.

Other dishonourable mentions for the Jesus Doctor bit "EVEN YOU CAN'T STOP THEM THINKING!", Doctor Donna, the Anne Droid, the Master race, the Abzorbaloff reveal, and the hatching of the moon egg.

And the guitar playing on the Tank - don't forget that

I was thinking of doing 5 industrial accidents that are better than Hell Bent

or perhaps it should be natural disasters that are better than Hell Bent

Or STDs?

10Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 1:11 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

burrunjor wrote:I really like the new Flash series and would love to review that. Ironically it suffers from some of the same problems as New Who however (needlessly convoluted timey wimey plots, repetitive story arcs,) but it manages to overcome them
This could make a good comparison piece. Why Doctor Who fails where others succeed.

I think Flash works because they embrace the comic book nature. They know certain aspects are silly or don't make sense but they don't care, it's an entertainment show so they work around it by making sure those moments are genuinely fun or cool to watch. The christmas episode in season 1 comes to mind, Reverse Flash beats Wells (they're the same person) in his energy prison then escapes to fight the Flash, even though the RF trapped was a hologram, as Cisco found when he turned the machine on and the RF hologram repeated his speech from the episode. Wells then explained that he was actually moving so fast he could be in 2 places at once.

It doesn't really make sense but it was one of the best episodes in the show. They did something silly but used it to deliver an important moment for the characters (Flashes first fight with RF) and move the story forward.

Then you have NuWho which does stupid stuff all the time, but Moffat is too ashamed of going all out so he over-compensates and tries (and fails) to write an intelligent story with lots of twists and "depth". It's like Nolan's Batman trilogy where trying to be more realistic just made some of the core concepts harder to believe than the more fantastical approach. If NuWho went off the deep end of stupid but gave us a bunch of fun and entertaining episodes we'd be more forgiving.

11Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 2:01 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I've written a couple of Class fanfics recently, if you'd like, I could offer up the first one I did for the fanzine since it involves The Doctor.

Also, maybe we could run a piece on the fanediting work of Whoflix

https://whoflix.wordpress.com/

12Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 5:26 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Sure. And thanks for posting that link, downloading the Power edit now. Wink
It says the runtime is 1h 34m, I hope I won't miss too much.

13Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 5:56 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

I've been working on 2 different zines, one offline in openoffice draw and one using an online service. The online service only has one free layout and limited options, you can only replace images and text, you can't add or remove them.

I don't know if we'll use it but it does allow groups to work on it, so if you don't have a problem signing up just go here. It'll give us an idea of how it'll turn out at the least.

Everything on the cover is just a placeholder until we have articles ready.

14Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 18th February 2017, 8:31 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Glad to be of help mate.

I'll save my fic as a PDF file and PM it to you

15Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 19th February 2017, 8:10 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

OK, I have finished what I have been doing, how do you want it sent or shall I just upload it to the online service?

16Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 19th February 2017, 9:48 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Whichever way you want, or both?

17Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 19th February 2017, 11:25 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

No probs, I'll give it a look over in the morning and then do both, cheers.

18Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 21st February 2017, 3:08 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

So far we have over 10 pages of the fanzine done. This includes:
Introduction
Does Realism Matter if you are Killing the Moon? - A 4 page analysis/rant about Kill the Moon from Rawkuss.
The Ongoing Adventures of Professor Why - An Unearthly Manchild: Part One. A NuWho parody by me.

I'm also working an a speculation piece about the Watcher and the fingering of Ice Warriors. Any ideas for that are welcom.

Just waiting on the pm from Zarius and the possible comparison article from burrunjor. I'll also create a poll for the worst moments so the list can be added.

19Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 21st February 2017, 3:46 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I am happy to contribute more if needed. Not sure what. The five industrial accidents more enjoyable that Hell Bent wasn't quite as amusing as I had hoped.

How many pages are we aiming for?

Nobody seems to have taken up the history of the hive idea and there are very few who can write it. I haven't been around long enough.

Perhaps we could create a hive drinking game and put it in there.

20Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 21st February 2017, 4:02 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Rawkuss wrote:How many pages are we aiming for?
As many as we want, I don't know what the average page count is for fanzines. We have to remember that we could be doing multiple issues so we don't want to blow our load on the first one.

Rawkuss wrote:Nobody seems to have taken up the history of the hive idea and there are very few who can write it. I haven't been around long enough.
I only joined last year. If we can't get Mike or somebody to do it we might have to drop the idea.

Rawkuss wrote:Perhaps we could create a hive drinking game and put it in there.
This is a good idea, at least it would give us something to look forward to for series 10.

If anyone has been paying close attention to series 10 news and images we could put together a series 10 preview article and all make predictions.

21Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 21st February 2017, 9:15 pm

iank

iank

I predict... it'll be shit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

22Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 21st February 2017, 9:30 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

iank wrote:I predict... it'll be shit.
That'll be the headline for the article.

23Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 22nd February 2017, 1:16 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Surprised no one is doing a Buffy article

Shame there aren't many half decent films on in the cinema at the moment

24Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 22nd February 2017, 11:54 am

Zarius

Zarius

Adam Ant Driver wrote:Just waiting on the pm from Zarius and the possible comparison article from burrunjor. I'll also create a poll for the worst moments so the list can be added.

I thought I sent you it days ago...turns out I PM'ed the wrong person.

25Issue One Content Empty Re: Issue One Content 22nd February 2017, 2:00 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

I've uploaded an 11 page pdf of what we have so far, my professor why story isn't finished so that will be longer in the final version. You can see it here.

I thought it'd be best to show something now so everyone can suggest any changes to the layout and post any images they want including in articles, maybe a different into. It's easier to change what we have now and make sure the added pages follow the same style than change every page at the end.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum