burrunjor

burrunjor

Who do you think is the best out of

Buffy Summers

Blade

Mr Vampire

Vampire Hunter D

Van Helsing (Peter Cushing version.)

It's hard to say. I love all of these characters (Big Vampire fan you may have noticed.)

Buffy/Angel combined I'd say is the best piece of Vampire fiction there has ever been. It combines all of the best tropes, characters and ideas from previous Vampire stories like the Hammer movies, Blade, Lost Boys, Fright Night, Near Dark, Mr Vampire and meshes them together like never before.

Mr Vampire meanwhile merged action and the supernatural together like never before which ultimately is what led to kung fu Vampires in Blade and Buffy.

30 years on and Mr Vampire's fight scenes are still the best. Lam Ching Ying who played him was a disciple of Bruce Lee after all.

Blade is definitely the most badass however. There is never any moping or crying with him like there is with Angel, Buffy etc.

Vampire Hunter D meanwhile I think has the most creative setting.

However ultimately I'd say that Cushing is still the daddy of them all.

The fact is that Peter Cushing created the Vampire hunter as a character. It didn't really exist prior to the Hammer movies.

In Stokers novel Van Helsing isn't really a Vampire hunter. He is just an eccentric scientist who knows about Vampires, because reading about the occult is one of his many eclectic interests.

In the old Universal movies meanwhile the Vampire hunter wasn't really a character either. In Horror of Dracula however Van Helsing was reimagined as someone who hunted Vampires from town to town, devoted his whole life to exterminating them, was known among Vampires as their enemy, other supernaturally aware people as a hero, and the general public as a crank.

Furthermore he was the main character and played by a better known actor (at that time) than the guy playing the Vampire.

The success of this movie would allow Hammer to not only do other movies that focused on Van Helsing, but other Vampire hunter characters like Captain Kronos, which in turn caused the Vampire hunter to be a classic stock character, leading to Blade, Buffy etc.

For me Cushing is the ultimate Vampire killer with this in mind.

2Best Vampire Killers Empty Re: Best Vampire Killers 10th May 2020, 9:04 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Van Helsing out of that lot. My favourite vampire killers of all time though are The Edgar Brothers from The Lost Boys.

3:29.

3Best Vampire Killers Empty Re: Best Vampire Killers 10th May 2020, 10:06 pm

iank

iank

Buffy and Cushing. The latter sells those movies just on the conviction of his performances.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Best Vampire Killers Empty Re: Best Vampire Killers 10th May 2020, 11:02 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Tom Baker's Doctor has to be it.

5Best Vampire Killers Empty Re: Best Vampire Killers 11th May 2020, 10:01 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Van Helsing out of that lot. My favourite vampire killers of all time though are The Edgar Brothers from The Lost Boys.

3:29.

They were great, but they are more comedy Vampire killers.

They're guys who have seen Peter Cushing, Buffy and Blade and think killing Vampires looks cool.

In those movies you get to kill monsters in a way that isn't messy, IE they turn to dust, no blood, you never get hurt, you then get to look like a hero to your friends etc.

However in reality it's a lot more messy, scary and blood experience as the above clip shows LOL.

They were quite inspirational that way. The Ghostfacers from Supernatural were basically a retread of the Frog Twins, whilst even Wesley from Buffy was like that at first, a bit of a wannabe Vampire killer.

6Best Vampire Killers Empty Re: Best Vampire Killers 11th May 2020, 10:10 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Peter Cushing seems to be winning so far. That's 3 votes for him.

Some more clips of badass Vampire killing for those of you who haven't been able to make up your mind. (What's the matter with you? This is the most important question of our time, who has done more to protect us from the predators of the night?)

Sorry the quality isn't the best for this, but this is my favourite Vampire kill in all of Buffy and Angel.

Buffy

Blade

Mr Vampire (who despite his name is NOT a Vampire. It's rather confusing LOL. This one he is actually fighitng a Ghost, but I don't care. It's badass and an example of how crazy it was.)

Vampire Hunter D

Peter Cushing (the current champ)

It's funny though I just realised out of the 5 big Vampire hunter characters, only one is a white male. Again not surprisingly I've never seen the likes of Shilbee, Whovian Feminism etc bother with Vampire fiction?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum