You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you ever feel sad about it?

+3
Fendelman
iank
Pepsi Maxil
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Do you ever feel sad about it? 22nd April 2020, 9:45 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Does it make you sad that a show you once loved and admired now hates you?  It feels like a friend you've known for years suddenly ditching you to hang out with a different crowd. He constantly slates you behind your back and yet has a hissy fit when you ignore him, branding YOU the hurtful one.

I never really wanted to break up with Doctor Who. Loving the show in 2013 was absolutely amazing. I was so high on Classic Who at the time that I didn't even care about the quality of NuWho. In fact, NuWho wasn't all THAT bad at the time. Matt and Jenna were in it, there were callbacks to the past and the 50th Anniversary was just on the horizon. There was even the promise that things were going to be more like the classic series when Capaldi took over. My Who page was thriving and it seemed like everyday I was discovering new things about the old show that made me love it even more. Nothing will ever beat watching Fenric and Remembrance for the first time or those many hours of being captivated by 80s Who.

I never thought I'd be flogging most of my Who stuff a mere seven years later and being embarrassed to talk about the series in public. I know people learn to separate the two, but I find it almost impossible not to think about the damage done to the continuity by NuWho or the bullying of some of the people involved while I'm watching old who. The name has been tainted for me.

Last edited by Pepsi Maxil on 22nd April 2020, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

2Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 22nd April 2020, 9:48 am

iank

iank

Kind of.
I'm feeling pretty burnt out on it at the moment in general.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 22nd April 2020, 4:14 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

I was never really that attached to NuWho. And I just live in the past: Last night I watched Talons of Weng-Chiang on VHS, twice. A few days ago I took a nice long drive at night in my 84 Firebird with the Top Gun soundtrack cranked up. Last weekend I watched a neat animated fantasy movie from '83 called Fire and Ice which I had never seen before, on VHS.

It'd be better if they just stopped trying to revive old stuff. I'd rather see interesting new stuff than remakes of old stuff that's never going to be as good as the original, but then I haven't seen anything new I liked since the '00s. Doctor Who ended in 1989, Star Trek in 2005, Star Wars in 1983 ... At least they haven't gotten to Back to the Future yet.

4Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 22nd April 2020, 4:17 pm

Ludders

Ludders

No.
I don't really care about NuWho and care not one iota about its fandom.

5Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 22nd April 2020, 9:52 pm

iank

iank

Fendelman wrote:I was never really that attached to NuWho. And I just live in the past: Last night I watched Talons of Weng-Chiang on VHS, twice. A few days ago I took a nice long drive at night in my 84 Firebird with the Top Gun soundtrack cranked up. Last weekend I watched a neat animated fantasy movie from '83 called Fire and Ice which I had never seen before, on VHS.  

It'd be better if they just stopped trying to revive old stuff. I'd rather see interesting new stuff than remakes of old stuff that's never going to be as good as the original, but then I haven't seen anything new I liked since the '00s. Doctor Who ended in 1989, Star Trek in 2005, Star Wars in 1983 ... At least they haven't gotten to Back to the Future yet.

You are my alternate personality and I claim my five pounds. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

6Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 25th April 2020, 2:48 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think I feel more liberated than anything.

Doctor Who was a show worth caring about once, back in the 1970's, before it became one of those zombie shows that's kept going for its own sake, without soul or purpose. Maybe it was even worth caring about again for a time in a few of Eccleston, Tennant and Smith's better stories.

But now I'm just relieved I don't feel conflicted about it anymore. Much of the revival was based on pure fan sentimentality, and whilst it was tempting to let myself get intoxicated by that for a time, that fades in the end and becomes a bit of an embarrassing memory.

(and I think it's been a sanctimonious show that's hated any viewers who aren't prepared to be true believers for a while now. Probably since 1984 infact)

But no, I don't feel sad. If in all this time it's never gotten back to a Hinchcliffe standard, it was never going to.

7Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 25th April 2020, 4:03 pm

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

What pissed me off is the Americanisation of our institutions which caused this shit to be created in the first place.

8Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 25th April 2020, 6:49 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I can essentially play my favourite stories back in my mind. I'm so familiar with every line and shot of Remembrance of the Daleks and Delta and the Bannermen that I could go decades without seeing them and still remember them correctly. In that sense I don't regret selling my DVDs. There's always BritBox if I really get the urge to watch something.

9Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 25th April 2020, 11:19 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Why did you sell your DVDs? (Just curious)

10Do you ever feel sad about it? Empty Re: Do you ever feel sad about it? 26th April 2020, 3:53 pm

Infinitic

Infinitic

Only a bit. For once my opinion is not a complete opposite of the majority's consensus, it's kinda refreshing Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum