Pepsi Maxil
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Underrated sequels? Empty Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 8:21 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Which sequels do you think are much better than their reputations?

2Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 8:31 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

28 Weeks Later (which I rewatched recently in light of current events) I think is a bit neglected in favour of its promising but bloated predecessor.

Infact I think it's probably the superior film, largely because it's anti-military angle feels a bit more organic to the story rather than making the film feel hijacked by a writers' angry political agenda.

3Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 8:35 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I also enjoyed Beverly Hills Cop III (despite the absence of Taggart) and have no idea why it gets maligned.

4Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 8:38 pm

REDACTED

Jaws 2. It's not a complete classic like the first but it's not as woeful as the third and fourth. (Although Lea Thompson is tempting me to give 3D a pass).

Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey

Halloween II, IV and H20.

Batman Returns

Superman III

Return Of The Jedi

Child's Play 2 & 3

Back To The Future III

5Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 9:06 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey

STAYYY-TION!!!!

"Fight--Evil--Usses-----Save--De--Babes!"

"Get Down With Yer Bad Self!" Big Grin

6Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 9:08 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Bill: "Hey Ted..... Don't fear the Reaper"

Death: ".....I heard that!"

7Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 9:13 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:I also enjoyed Beverly Hills Cop III (despite the absence of Taggart) and have no idea why it gets maligned.

I can see why someone would enjoy it, but I've never really liked it. Just feels like Eddie was trying desperately not to be funny. I guess I like the others because they're set in the city rather than confined to just one location. I think the lack of Harold Faltermeyer music also hurts it.

8Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 9:20 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:Jaws 2. It's not a complete classic like the first but it's not as woeful as the third and fourth. (Although Lea Thompson is tempting me to give 3D a pass).

Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey

Halloween II, IV and H20.

Batman Returns

Superman III

Return Of The Jedi

Child's Play 2 & 3

Back To The Future III

Agreed about Superman III. I think I might actually like that more than Donner's original now.

I prefer Jaws: The Revenge to Jaws 2 but I prefer Jaws 2 to the original. Jaws 3D is just a bag of shit.

I'd say RoboCop 3 is quite underrated. RoboCop 2 is the real abomination of that franchise. 3 always felt a bit like a comic book movie with some cool martial arts elements thrown in.

9Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 9:22 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I guess I like the others because they're set in the city rather than confined to just one location.

Maybe.

Personally I felt setting it in a funfair was a nice novelty that gave it a distinctness from the others.

10Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 9:29 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Tanmann wrote:I guess I like the others because they're set in the city rather than confined to just one location.

Maybe.

Personally I felt setting it in a funfair was a nice novelty element that gave it a distinctiveness from the others.

What I will say is that the direction and editing is better than in II which I thought was a little bit too stylish and orange looking. In fact, a lot of Tony Scott's movies seem to take place either at dawn or at dusk. III looked like the original in many scenes and was generally easier on the eyes. Bogomil and Taggart's absence is something I've never found easy to get over. It doesn't feel right without them although people seem to think Flint was a decent enough replacement for the latter.

11Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 9:31 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:
Indrid Mercury wrote:Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey

STAYYY-TION!!!!

"Fight--Evil--Usses-----Save--De--Babes!"

"Get Down With Yer Bad Self!" Big Grin

''Dude, I got a full on robot chubby!'' Big Grin

''You may be a king or a lowly street sweeper but sooner or later, you'll dance with the reaper!''

12Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 5th April 2020, 10:57 pm

iank

iank

Fright Night Part II rarely gets the respect it deserves, though that's partially down to the problems it had on release (the company going bust and not being able to distribute it to widespread cinemas) and then general unavailability since due to confusion over the rights. There's an (excellent) foreign Blu ray, yet it's still not received a proper release anywhere in the West. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

13Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 1:33 am

Fendelman

Fendelman

Star Trek III - It tends to be ignored in favor of II and IV, but I really think of II, III and IV as one continuous story. The other Star Trek movies can really be taken all individually, but when I do watch them I like to watch those three all in a row. I also think Star Trek I is underrated.

I used to like Back to the Future 2 better than 1, but now I prefer 1. 3 is the weakest of the lot, but it's not bad.

Excellent Adventure >> Bogus Journey

14Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 1:40 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Rocky IV. Some people criticise it for being too 80s. How dare a movie from 1985 look and feel like a movie from 1985!

15Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 3:13 am

Ludders

Ludders

Fendelman wrote:Star Trek III - It tends to be ignored in favor of II and IV, but I really think of II, III and IV as one continuous story.

I love III. Probably a shade more than II.
IV is the one that I'm not so keen on. It's basically a Disney movie. I even prefer V over IV. LOL

16Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 4:33 am

Fendelman

Fendelman

The Star Trek movies ranked (top to bottom):

good
II
III
IV
First Contact
I

ok
VI
V
Insurrection

bad
Nemesis
Generations

The newer ones aren't even bad Star Trek; they're just not Star Trek.

I recently heard an interesting interpretation of V: Kirk, Spock and Bones are sitting around the campfire singing "Row, row, row your boat ... life is but a dream." Then everything that happens after Kirk goes to sleep is his dream: Sybok, the false god in the center of the galaxy, all of it. I actually think it kind of works to think of it that way.

17Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 5:49 am

Fendelman

Fendelman

Escape from LA - I think it was as good as the original. "Call me Snake..."

18Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 7:26 am

Ludders

Ludders

Fendelman wrote:The Star Trek movies ranked (top to bottom):

good
II
III
IV
First Contact
I

ok
VI
V
Insurrection

bad
Nemesis
Generations

For me it would be:

GOOD:

III
II
VI
First Contact

OK:

V
I
IV

POOR:

Generations
Nemesis
Insurrection

Yeah, not interested in the new ones. The first is ok for a novelty, but otherwise..... Nah.

19Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 2:02 pm

Richie

Richie

Not really a sequel but I hear that Guest House Paradiso is an entertaining flick, although in my case, I found it to be strangely relatable.... Wink

Plus, the leading man in that flick is a handsome bastard.

20Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 5:02 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Richie wrote:Not really a sequel but I hear that Guest House Paradiso is an entertaining flick, although in my case, I found it to be strangely relatable.... Wink

Plus, the leading man in that flick is a handsome bastard.

What about Drop Dead Fred?

21Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 5:04 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Rocky IV. Some people criticise it for being too 80s. How dare a movie from 1985 look and feel like a movie from 1985!

I like Rocky 4. Dolph Lundgren is quite underrated.

He is a big imposing monster of a man LOL. He always made an effective villain like in Universal Soldier. God he scared me in that film when I was child. "I'm all ears."

I remember reading at one point that he dated Grace Jones who is also quite imposing to say the least. Imagine what their child would have looked like!

His love interest in another movie was also the actress who played Alti from Xena. Seems he likes big scary women (makes sense as he is a big scary man.)

22Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 5:07 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:Rocky IV. Some people criticise it for being too 80s. How dare a movie from 1985 look and feel like a movie from 1985!

He is a big imposing monster of a man LOL. He always made an effective villain like in Universal Soldier. God he scared me in that film when I was child. "I'm all ears."

I remember reading at one point that he dated Grace Jones who is also quite imposing to say the least. Imagine what their child would have looked like!

His love interest in another movie was also the actress who played Alti from Xena. Seems he likes big scary women (makes sense as he is a big scary man.)

He is indeed. He was in A View to a Kill with Grace Jones before he was in Rocky IV. I think they met on the set or something. Imagine how crazy the sex must have been! Sorry, I can't help it LOL

23Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 5:08 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Fendelman wrote:The Star Trek movies ranked (top to bottom):

good
II
III
IV
First Contact
I

ok
VI
V
Insurrection

bad
Nemesis
Generations

The newer ones aren't even bad Star Trek; they're just not Star Trek.

I recently heard an interesting interpretation of V: Kirk, Spock and Bones are sitting around the campfire singing "Row, row, row your boat ... life is but a dream." Then everything that happens after Kirk goes to sleep is his dream: Sybok, the false god in the center of the galaxy, all of it. I actually think it kind of works to think of it that way.

I agree with that, althought I'd bump 6 to good. I know some people think they are bit too old in it, but I think that works well as they are meant to be at the end of the road. Having Kirk get off with David Bowie's wife though may have felt a bit out of place, but it led to the funny joke about Kirk wanting to shag himself. (Though I'd say that more applies to Shatner LOL.)

24Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 5:21 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

He is indeed. He was in A View to a Kill with Grace Jones before he was in Rocky IV. I think they met on the set or something. Imagine how crazy the sex must have been! Sorry, I can't help it LOL

I understand I've always imagined what it must be like to have sex with Grace Jones and Alti from Xena, (though I'd also like to be tortured by Alti too.)

25Underrated sequels? Empty Re: Underrated sequels? 6th April 2020, 6:02 pm

REDACTED

Karate Kid II. Not exactly an maligned sequel but one that's often forgotten despite being as equally good as the original and much better than the last two sequels and the 2010 remake.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum