You are not connected. Please login or register

Why are the Daleks in New Who so afraid of the Doctor?

+4
stengos
burrunjor
Genkimonk
Tanmann
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I've just been struck by a thought just now.

(partly inspired by discussions of The Timeless Child and the Doctor having some unique power that became the basis for the Time Lord race)

The Doctor has survived many encounters with the lethal, hair-trigger Daleks throughout the Classic and New Series. And it's become something of a cliche to poke holes in the question of why don't they ever just kill him on sight if they're meant to be so ruthless?

But I have to say, for much of Classic Who I could suspend my disbelief and buy that luck and circumstances are the reason the Doctor's still alive after running into the Daleks 15 times.

In the first story, the Daleks don't yet know him as their mortal enemy, and are curious enough about him and his companions to want to capture and study them, and need their help to get the drugs from the Thals.

In the second, the Daleks need slave labour. In The Chase and Daleks Master Plan, the Doctor is just able to evade them, or trade the Tarranium core for his survival.

In Power of the Daleks, the Daleks actually have to barter for their weapons back and win the humans' trust before they can kill him. Ditto in Death to the Daleks.

There were one or two occasions where it seemed a lazy convenience that the Daleks were either talked out of killing him (Frontier in Space), or too slow to fire or a rubbish shot (Remembrance of the Daleks). But those were generally exceptions to the rule. Most of the time I could genuinely believe that the Doctor managed to survive the Daleks simply by not being in the wrong place at the wrong time, like so many unlucky ones were.

Then in the New Series, because it was under the pen of fanboys, they seemed compelled to have to come up with an underlying thematic idea that the Doctor survives because he commands fear in the Daleks and leaves them too quaking in their boots to ever shoot him. That because the Doctor represents some Jesus-like divinity, the Daleks are insecurely fearful of him. Without weapons, with just the power of hope, he is someone they see as ever a threat because his ideals wreck their plans.

But this just further leaves me asking "why don't they just kill him on the spot?"

In the final shot of Evolution of the Daleks, the last Dalek even prefers to flee via teleport than take a perfect available shot at the Doctor.

The problem seems to be that the show is so penned by fanboys who think the Doctor's wonderful (or perhaps alternatively, are afraid that an audience that doesn't see him as wonderful, might either tune out or vote UKIP)... that there is no sense anymore that the outcome of these confrontations could go either way. The Doctor's going to win, the Daleks know he's going to because of his reputation and his skills, but even then they don't kill him.

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

Simple answer, because they wanted to pander to the Americans. They copied the Marvel DC BS. In doing so, they lost the creativity and style that great British drama had.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Genkimonk wrote:Simple answer, because they wanted to pander to the Americans. They copied the Marvel DC BS. In doing so, they lost the creativity and style that great British drama had.

Not everything is the Americans fault.

Also Old Who took inspiration from American comics.

Jon Pertwee had a Whomobile, whilst Sarah Jane was inspired by and even named after Lois Lane.

The Master is basically the same character as Doctor Doom.

Both friends of the hero who became enemies, both manipulative and twist people's minds, both cowards who are happy to sacrifice milllions to save their own lives, both want to take over the earth and other planets because they think they can make them a better place under their rule.

Hell the burned Master even looks like Doom.

As for Tanman's question I think it just comes down to embarassing trying to show how hard the Doctor is like Eccelston's ghastly "I'M GONNA WIPE EVERY DALEK OUT OF THE SKY."

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

I disagree. This Woke shit started in the US. The erosion of debate in universities started in the US. These factors created this situation we are now seeing in the entertainment industry amongst others.

American culture is a huge factor towards the problem.

For years, the BBC have been trying to copy their style because they believed it made products more marketable globally.

stengos

stengos

Russell reasoned that the Doctor had defeated the Daleks a few times in the classic series therefore they would shit the bed whenever they saw him again.

Personally i don't like it. They were supposed to be a fearsome force in the universe, conquering whole worlds and even galaxies. I would have thought that would make them pretty fearless and the Doctor an irritant to be eradicated. They come across as a tad pathetic if they are going to cry to mummy whenever the Doctor shows up. Yes they should recognise the Doctor as a threat but crapping themselves is a smidge over the top. Essentially they believe in their own superiority to other life forms. That would include the Doctor I think.

You can interpret things any way of-course. If Russell wants to view Dalek development in this way then fine. I just do not think it is a very good dramatic device. But i guess Russ would point to Remembrance and say they are scared of him because McCoy blew up Skaro and then what happened in the Time War. Its almost like Russell was trying to say "Hey Guys. Don't be down on the Daleks dudes. The Daleks have got feelings aswell you know". Make them seem more human so we can empathise with them more. Its not a black and white world. Turn it all into a crappy soap opera and discuss the socio-economic causes of the Dalek consciousess.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Because New Who is shit.

REDACTED

You summed it up yourself mate. It's glorified fanfic written by self loathing fanboys and it's not exactly powered by logic.

Doctor7

Doctor7

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Alright... to be fair, and this is a big 'tbf', the 7th Doctor did destroy Skaro (if you ignore the bullshit from War of the Daleks), so they can be a little afraid of the Doctor. Not to the point where they should be complete pussies, but still have that goal to eliminate the Doctor more out of desperation.

burrunjor

burrunjor

There are probably as many Doctors as there are Daleks. RTD even said so about the recent retcon that it's stupid because now when watching The Stolen Earth, you can imagine the Subwave network bringing in billions of Doctors LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum