You are not connected. Please login or register

Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 Empty Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 1st March 2020, 4:01 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

After thankfully avoiding Torchwood over the last week, I decided to check out episode 5 of season 1. I’ll be honest- for Torchwood, that wasn’t too bad. I still have absolutely no investment in the central characters as such, there were some hokey examples of CGI during particular moments, and there is something utterly unbelievable about a “top secret” organisation driving about in vans with the word “Torchwood” overtly printed on it, but as a stand-alone story, it held my interest enough. And I can’t say it was as bombarded with moronic sexual gags and infantile dialogue either (courtesy of P.J Hammond), though there was the occasional twee moment here and there.

The programme doesn’t seem to resemble anything remotely related to gritty science fiction at all, though. Not only does the characterisation remain crass generally across the board, but each episode so far seems to have delved into whimsical or implausible narratives that rely on fantasy above all else (as evidenced by this with the emphasis on “fairies”, and episode 3) and are often bookended by the same tweeness that encapsulates much of NuWho. This isn’t bad on its own, but it’s not necessarily “adult” in that sense either. In fact, I don’t see what warrants its status as adult TV at all beyond the stupid gags and occasional profanity- it’s not exactly complex or mature. That being said, this was a massive improvement on the absolute disaster of Cyberwoman (not that such an accomplishment is difficult), and there was at least some semblance of narrative structure and story logic here. I can’t think of much to say about it- it was passable by the standards of Torchwood anyway.

Sadly, I have Countrycide by Chibnall next, so I only expect things to become extraordinarily awful again shortly. Smile

2Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 Empty Re: Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 2nd March 2020, 11:52 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I liked the idea of having the children and fairies with the grim content and violence as a stark contrast and juxtaposition.

If there's a weakness I think the story has, it's that Torchwood themselves are pretty superfluous to the plot, and the final sacrifice climax feels a little contrived out the blue and inorganic.

3Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 Empty Re: Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 5th March 2020, 8:53 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Also, out of interest....

Did you happen to skip Ghost Machine?

4Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 Empty Re: Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 5th March 2020, 8:54 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Tanmann wrote:Also, out of interest....

I watched it and mentioned it in passing in the Episode 2 thread. It wasn’t too bad either.

5Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 Empty Re: Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 8th March 2020, 7:06 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Bernard Marx wrote:

I watched it and mentioned it in passing in the Episode 2 thread. It wasn’t too bad either.
You'll like the next one.

Torchwood really pull together well as an efficient well functioning team.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

6Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 Empty Re: Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 8th March 2020, 7:16 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Rob Filth wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:

You'll like the next one.

Torchwood really pull together well as an efficient well functioning team.

LOL LOL LOL LOL
I look forward to it. LOL LOL

Although I’ve been bombarded with work recently and so have experienced some delays in my Torchwood viewings. However, I have a little more free time now, so may be able to watch it tomorrow and give my thoughts during the later hours of the day. Don’t expect a particularly well put together or extensive review, but I’ll try to make it as blunt as I can. Wink

7Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 Empty Re: Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 9th March 2020, 6:28 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Bernard Marx wrote:I look forward to it. Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 3671633215 Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 3671633215

Although I’ve been bombarded with work recently and so have experienced some delays in my Torchwood viewings. However, I have a little more free time now, so may be able to watch it tomorrow and give my thoughts during the later hours of the day. Don’t expect a particularly well put together or extensive review, but I’ll try to make it as blunt as I can. Torchwood- Season 1, Episode 5 2678015107

To be fair, despite the panning it often receives, Cuntricide is far from being Torchwoods worst ever episode, there is at least some attempt at suspense/horror in it and some of the camera direction is okay, it's just the trite dialogue and utterly clueless characterisation which lets it down. 

You really feel no empathy or sympathy for any of the main cast members or their stupid thicko unlikeable characters.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum