You are not connected. Please login or register

The Survivors appreciation thread

+2
Pepsi Maxil
burrunjor
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Survivors appreciation thread Empty The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 2:19 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Anyone ever seen this overlooked series by Terry Nation.

I'm currently in the middle of the second season and I have to say its excellent. Really quite gripping and has some fantastic characters.

Its a shame it doesn't have the following of B7 and Doctor Who.

Terry Nation truly was the best British tv writer of the 20th century IMO.

2The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 2:39 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Mad Dog is one of the best episodes of any show. You'll like that one.

3The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 2:42 pm

REDACTED

I haven't actually seen it in a long time. Might be worth a rewatch.

4The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 4:23 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Excellent series.

5The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 4:28 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ve still yet to watch it. I’ll try to get hold of it at some stage- it does look very good indeed.

Didn’t it also receive a remake in the 2000s by Adrian Hodges?

6The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 4:44 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I really like Charles and Ruth. I'm not too fond of Jenny, Abby and Greg, though.

7The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 8:06 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:Didn’t it also receive a remake in the 2000s by Adrian Hodges?

Yes. Inevitably not as good, but not as disastrous as many other modern remakes.
That main reason not to bother with it is the fact that it was discontinued by the BBC after Season 2, leaving a massive cliffhanger unresolved, as S3 never happened.

8The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 17th February 2020, 8:07 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ludders wrote: it was discontinued by the BBC after Season 2, leaving a massive cliffhanger unresolved, as S3 never happened.

That sounds very familiar...

9The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 20th February 2020, 4:46 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil Foley wrote:Mad Dog is one of the best episodes of any show. You'll like that one.

Just saw it last night and you weren't wrong. Fabulous episode. Easily the highlight of the entire series.

That place Charles was trapped in was a real monster land. Man eating dogs, loonies with guns, rabies infected humans running around. What does it say that the nihlist was the nicest person there. LOL

Though the blonde chick that saved Charles was nice too, and quite pretty. She had a bit of a Ferne McCann/Amy Winehouse look with the long nose. Slightly. (That might be part of why I liked her LOL.)

I've only got six episodes left, but its been a really good series so far.

10The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 22nd February 2020, 12:35 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Just saw the last episode with Greg. Jesus Christ that was dark!

I still can't believe they killed him, and in such a gruesome way. I also loved how he got the villains at the end, by basically using chemical warfare!

It makes me laugh when people go on about Game of Thrones being so edgy because it kills characters off. Its got nothing on Survivors. Hell even Blake's 7 looks mild in comparison.

I'm going to be sad when its done, but overall I think its been a brilliant series. The second season was definitely the slowest, but series three might surpass season 1.

Mad Dog is still definitely the highlight, but Greg's last episode was really good.

11The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 22nd February 2020, 3:49 pm

stengos

stengos

burrunjor wrote:Just saw the last episode with Greg. Jesus Christ that was dark!

I'm going to be sad when its done, but overall I think its been a brilliant series. The second season was definitely the slowest, but series three might surpass season 1.

If i understand what you have said there, that is pretty much what i think: First place = season one, second place season three and third place season two. The second season just seemed very domesticated compared to seasons one or two. Ruth makes soap, Greg builds a generator and I think "the lads" (including Peter Duncan of Blue Peter fame) make a pulley based lifting system in the barn. Fuckin' wow!

I didn't think they would kill Greg off. I thought there would be some last minute miraculous release / rescue, but no. The bastards!!! Mad . I really missed his character when he increasingly became an irregular guest "star" for the occasional episode in the final season, although Dennis Lill held the fort really well. Even Lucy Fleming / Jenny Richards livened up a bit in season 3.

Although i do need to view it again. I last watched it in the nineties on satellite. My memory of it is fading.

Terry Nation did write a novelisation to accompany season 1 (1975) which was then re-released alongside Adrian Hodges' two series (12 episode) reboot in 2008 and 2010.

12The Survivors appreciation thread Empty Re: The Survivors appreciation thread 22nd February 2020, 4:15 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

stengos wrote:
burrunjor wrote:Just saw the last episode with Greg. Jesus Christ that was dark!

If i understand what you have said there, that is pretty much what i think: First place = season one, second place season three and third place season two. The second season just seemed very domesticated compared to seasons one or two. Ruth makes soap, Greg builds a generator and I think "the lads" (including Peter Duncan of Blue Peter fame) make a pulley based lifting system in the barn. Fuckin' wow!

I didn't think they would kill Greg off. I thought there would be some last minute miraculous release / rescue, but no. The bastards!!!  Mad . I really missed his character when he increasingly became an irregular guest "star" for the occasional episode in the final season, although Dennis Lill held the fort really well. Even Lucy Fleming / Jenny Richards livened up a bit in season 3.

Although i do need to view it again. I last watched it in the nineties on satellite. My memory of it is fading.

Terry Nation did write a novelisation to accompany season 1 (1975) which was then re-released alongside Adrian Hodges' two series (12 episode) reboot in 2008 and 2010.

Yes I am. Its hard to say as overall season 1 was the most consistent, but the highs of series three like Greg's death and Mad Dog.

Charles isn't as dynamic as Greg. Greg was more flawed yes, but that just made him more interesting.

It definitely deserves a rewatch. One of the best sci fi series of the 70s.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum