You are not connected. Please login or register

What are your main gripes with Tennant’s Doctor and era?

+5
burrunjor
Tanmann
The Brigade Leader
Kaijuko
Bernard Marx
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

What do you dislike the most about the 10th Doctor and his era?

Despite its mainstream popularity to this day, it seems apparent that this Doctor and era isn’t especially popular around here, but what are your main gripes with it as a whole? My biggest gripes are indeed that of the character’s complete moral inconsistency (as covered here many times already) and the era’s adherence to passive audience spectatorship in how the character is frequently portrayed as a godlike figure with few apparent flaws addressed by the narrative (as egged on by Murray Gold’s music).

Some here criticise the McCoy era for its introduction of the character’s godlike qualities, although I didn’t see any trace of sycophantic hero worship towards the Doctor during that era. The programme never usually portrayed him as a perfect figure, as evidenced by the likes of Remembrance of the Daleks and The Curse of Fenric, whereas the Tennant era seems to largely venerate the character to a ridiculous extent.

The likes of Last of the Time Lords and The End of Time serve as notable examples. In the former’s case, the conclusion to the story not only makes fuck all sense, but never provides the audience with any insight into how such a religious fervour induced by the Christ-like Doctor can be damaging to those around him. There’s almost a dogmatic element to the scene, as if RTD inserted it purely to wank over his version of the character.

The End of Time is a similar case- instead of bothering to portray the character through a lens of moral ambiguity (as addressed for about 5 minutes in The Waters of Mars before being casually dropped), the episode spends over 15 minutes glorifying his regeneration in a similarly dogmatic fashion, with the character’s final words “I don’t want to go” awkwardly signposted by Gold’s music as being a sad and tear-jerking moment as opposed to a self-absorbed prat moping over the fact that he had to sacrifice one regeneration to save a man he saw as lesser than him. This is the kind of dogmatic hero-worship that I can see the pragmatism of the original character fundamentally disagreeing with, and it’s why the popularism of the era grates so badly with me these days.

Do you guys agree? What else about the era do you take issue with?

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

The humanizing of the character - Tennant's Doctor was less a time-traveling, eccentric alien and more a cheeky, geeky, wacky, boy-next-door -  the Timelord as boyfriend material.

Self-aggrandizing speeches - very uncool and unnecessary- "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

Why does the Doctor need to make a bold, brash mission statement?  He comes across as a self-important wanker.  While at other times, he'll be whiney, childish and tearful: " I don't wanna go" - sounding rather pathetic.

Appearance - although not as hideously inappropriate as Eccelston's shabby leather jacket, it still wasn't Doctor-ish enough for me. There's no hint of the previous Edwardian theme that influenced the Doctor's image, and the suit, tie, long coat and converse sneakers - like an H&M model - seemed to have been put together mainly in order to make the 10th Doctor more trendy and to appeal to a youth/student audience. And girls.

Tennant's reign really was the Who age of the soap opera (probably at it's worst in Series 2), loud, brash, dumb and sentimental, and all contrived to win the popularist vote.

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I thought I’d also point out that although he appeared more similar to the Doctor than Eccleston in terms of superficial appearances, the colloquialisms, awkward delivery and shit humour were still present in abundance. Take this scene from The Sontaran Stratagem when he refers to the teleport device whilst gurning:
“What is it. Well, it’s just a thing, innit? Nobody notices a thing.”

And the following lines:
“I ain’t ‘fraid of no ghosts!”
“Go on, ma son!”
“Someone nicked my motah!”
“Oh, yus!”
“OI!”

These are particularly prevalent during series 4. I’ve been browsing the original Leisure Hive forum recently, and I believe it was B who described Tennant’s enunciations during that season as being akin to Churchill The Insurance Dog, which I can’t help but agree with.

Although to be fair on Tennant, I often get the impression that he’s just following RTD’s scripting to the letter as opposed to it being a fault of his own, hence why most of his other actors (John Simm especially) also overact very frequently. As Tiberius put it on another thread, RTD appears to have a penchant for the histrionic, and it also seems to manifest in how he directs his actors.

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Kaijuko wrote:The humanizing of the character - Tennant's Doctor was less a time-traveling, eccentric alien and more a cheeky, geeky, wacky, boy-next-door -  the Timelord as boyfriend material.

Self-aggrandizing speeches - very uncool and unnecessary- "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

Why does the Doctor need to make a bold, brash mission statement?  He comes across as a self-important wanker.  While at other times, he'll be whiney, childish and tearful: " I don't wanna go" - sounding rather pathetic.

Appearance - although not as hideously inappropriate as Eccelston's shabby leather jacket, it still wasn't Doctor-ish enough for me. There's no hint of the previous Edwardian theme that influenced the Doctor's image, and the suit, tie, long coat and converse sneakers - like an H&M model - seemed to have been put together mainly in order to make the 10th Doctor more trendy and to appeal to a youth/student audience. And girls.

Tennant's reign really was the Who age of the soap opera (probably at it's worst in Series 2), loud, brash, dumb and sentimental, and all contrived to win the popularist vote.

THIS.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Mainly the fact it was so badly written and plotted, with pixie dust resolutions and cartoon logic, that it was the kind of immersing bombardment that led me to honestly develop diminished expectations in the end, and to almost think I had to be okay with such awful writing if I wanted to enjoy the show and if I didn't want to be seen as a killjoy.

There's actually a part of Mark Kermode's book 'The Good, The Bad, And The Multiplex' in which he describes modern cinema having the same effect on the masses, and compares it to people who've lived in slum housing so long and had their complaints about the conditions there ignored so often, that they've gotten used to it and come to think it's not so bad.

Tennant's era and the sanctimonious cult of Russell, pretty much had that effect on me. And I'll always feel a nasty aftertaste about the era for that.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Everybody else has covered the obnoxious cult of personality around Russell T Davies, the godawful soap opera crap, the mawkish romance, the humanizing the Doctor etc.

So I'll just talk about my biggest pet peeve, his gigantic fucking hypocrisy.

Its not just a couple of minor little quibbles. In all fairness there are inconsistencies with all heroes in regards to weapons. Even with Tom's Doctor like in Pyramids of Mars where he says he never carries fire arms (he seems to feel quite differently in Talons of Weng Chiang. "Nonsense! It was made in Birmingham, these damn Victorian guns take too long to reload.")

Still with Tennant all of his main story arcs suffer from his hypocrisy.

His relationship with Rose for example. As we know it ends where he leaves his clone with her, because his clone wiped out the Daleks, and that's unforgivable. Rose's job is to make the clone a better man by showing him what he did was wrong.

Thing is that the original Doctor wiped out the Daleks in Doomsday, alongside the Cybermen. Also who helped him do that? Rose! Added to that Rose also wiped out what she thought were the last Daleks before in Parting of the Ways.

"God of all Daleks and I destroyed him HA!"

How is she going to teach him that wiping out the Daleks is wrong?

Also just a few episodes later the Doctor wipes out the Time Lords. He kills an entire species to save the universe, and unlike the clone Doctor this is a species he knows are not all evil. They have just been taken over by an evil government.

(Okay Day of the Doctor retconned that, but still Ten had no memory of saving them. As far as he knew he was killing them, and he showed no remorse.)

"GET BACK TO THE TIME WAR RASSILON, STRAIGHT INTO HELL!"

Yet killing the Daleks in unforgivable? Added to that its made out to be such an awful thing to kill the Master earlier in that same story? The Doctor tells Wilf that killing the Master even to save 7 billion people is never acceptable, yet he carries out a genocide at the end?

Furthermore they make out that him shooting Rassilon is wrong "THE LAST ACT OF YOUR LIFE IS MURDER"

No don't worry its just genocide! What's worse that's presented as being a good thing? So it would have been worse to shoot Rassilon, then take over Gallifrey and save it and stop the final sanction, than to send all of Gallifrey back to be blown up. Rassilon included?

Also then there is his bullshit of condemning the Family of Blood to an eternity of torture whilst hugging the Master a few weeks later.

The Tenth Doctor is a laughably inconsistent character.

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

burrunjor wrote:The Tenth Doctor is a laughably inconsistent character.

"No second chances, I'm that sort of man"

Spends entire tenure being a milksop.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

"What are your main gripes with Tennant’s Doctor"

He's shite.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Lord Pertwee's Knob wrote:

"No second chances, I'm that sort  of man"

I love the way one of his defining quotes among fans is, "no second chances I'm that sort of man", whilst another is "I never would."

LOL you can't be both!

Never means never!

It reminds me of Eric Cartman's morality. "I'd never kill someone. Not unless they pissed me off!"

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

burrunjor wrote:

I love the way one of his defining quotes among fans is, "no second chances I'm that sort of man", whilst another is "I never would."

LOL you can't be both!

Never means never!

It reminds me of Eric Cartman's morality. "I'd never kill someone. Not unless they pissed me off!"

lol

RTD can't even stay consistent during the same episode.

It must be 15 years since I watched it, but in The farting of the ways didn't the Doctor spend an episode constructing some kind of massive Dalek destroying weapon only to say he wouldn't use it when he'd finished building it?

Memory is hazy because I never rewatch nuwho eps.

burrunjor

burrunjor

burrunjor wrote:

LOL you can't be both!

Never means never!

lol

It must be 15 years since I watched it, but in The farting of the ways didn't the Doctor spend an episode constructing some kind of massive Dalek destroying weapon only to say he wouldn't use it when he'd finished building it?

Yep and we were meant to think it was a good thing he didn't use it. "A coward any day." Is frequently quoted by 9th Doctor fans like Shilbee and Claudia Boleyn as proof of why 9 was so great.

Thing is what they don't mention is that the 9th Doctor made Captain Jack and everybody else give their lives to hold the Daleks off long enough for him to build it and then didn't use it. LOL

If he knew he wasn't going to use it, then hy not just get everybody out of there in the Tardis?

Then there is the fact that true to form, The 9th Doctor is fucking useless in his final story and has to get saved by Rose Tylah.

And for all that macho shit, the only heroic thing he does in the entire episode is snog his 19 year old blonde companion with big tits. LOL

Lets not forget how shit the 9th Doctor was when we slag off 10. It annoys me the way his era is so respected. Its trash.

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

burrunjor wrote:the only heroic thing he does in the entire episode is snog his 19 year old blonde companion with big tits. LOL

Can't really argue with that though! LOL

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

burrunjor wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

LOL you can't be both!

Never means never!

lol

Yep and we were meant to think it was a good thing he didn't use it. "A coward any day." Is frequently quoted by 9th Doctor fans like Shilbee and Claudia Boleyn as proof of why 9 was so great.

Thing is what they don't mention is that the 9th Doctor made Captain Jack and everybody else give their lives to hold the Daleks off long enough for him to build it and then didn't use it. LOL

If he knew he wasn't going to use it, then hy not just get everybody out of there in the Tardis?

Then there is the fact that true to form, The 9th Doctor is fucking useless in his final story and has to get saved by Rose Tylah.

And for all that macho shit, the only heroic thing he does in the entire episode is snog his 19 year old blonde companion with big tits. LOL

Lets not forget how shit the 9th Doctor was when we slag off 10. It annoys me the way his era is so respected. Its trash.
It did cross my mind that Eccleston lets everyone around him get massacred by the Daleks whilst he sits there doing fuck all, only to subsequently do fuck all in the end at all. That story really is crap for so many reasons in retrospect- bar the Daleks massacring people in part 2, there’s nary anything good about it, really.

And no- I’ve not forgotten how crap Eccleston and the 9th Doctor was, and the praise series 1 gets truly baffles me. Although I suppose our reasons for disliking him have already been well documented on the “Christopher Eccleston appreciation thread”.

REDACTED

Mainly what has been highlighted already by everyone else. Nothing against Tennant's acting skills in general or his personality but just how another decent choice for the role was ruined by poor characterization and writing from the cult of Russell.

iank

iank

All of the above.
There's just something so goddamn punchable about Tennant himself too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Mott1

Mott1

I hated the way that as soon as anything dramatic happened 10 used to SHOUT AT THE TOP OF HIS VOICE! The Emmerdale style of establishing tension.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think actually the worst thing for me about the Tennant era is just how much it spoilt my newfound excitement.

For all the faults of Eccleston’s season, it did respark my interest in the show’s lore and get me genuinely, insatiably excited for what was to follow. I was still eagerly awaiting the new books, the magazine. I was pumped.

I wanted to like the new Tennant era, I wanted it to be good. And certainly having been galvanized to revisit the classic series only to be confronted with some shockers that demonstrated why the show had probably been cancelled in the first place, I wanted to be able to say the Eccleston era had at least improved on that dark era, and reformed the show from the suicide cult it had evidently become in the 80's, and given it a zest of life and heart.

Infact reading Gareth Roberts’ Tenth Doctor quick-read I Am A Dalek after having seen Time-Flight and Warriors of the Deep made it look like the show and character could only be in safer hands by comparison now.

(though I was definitely feeling out of sorts with an online fandom that seemed to think this was a 'case closed' thing, that automatically meant the show could do no wrong now and couldn't be criticized)

And yet, slowly, time and again Series Two and Three just angered me to the point of burnout, and in the case of Love & Monsters, even revolted me to think about.

By the end of that second season I didn’t care a jot anymore what was next. It had gone from ‘must see’ television to frequently too obnoxious to tolerate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum