You are not connected. Please login or register

Why did the Chibnall defenders expect anything great from his era anyway?

+2
iank
Tanmann
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

It does sometimes cross my mind that the feminist issue has become something of a clouding of perceptions of Chibnall's era.

And that actually, had Chibnall not gone with the social justice angle, or a female Doctor, I think most of his current defenders would've probably dreaded his ascent to showrunner given how terrible his Torchwood episodes had been (to the point even some of RTD's biggest cheerleaders couldn't find a good word for them).

In part I think this might be because his Torchwood material was so nasty and so at odds with the ethos of New Who, and if you were a fan who loved the revival because of its ethos, you quite naturally might balk in horror at the humans at their worst, shock and awe nastiness of Cyberwoman or Countrycide (I actually had to google that just to remember the title).

Now, it might not just be that Chibnall started suddenly tooting his feminist horn.

I think frankly a lot of even the die-hard New Who fans were dissatisfied with Moffat's pile-up of an era. and they began to look to the great white hope in *anyone* but him. And perhaps they began to see hope in Chibnall. Especially since Broadchurch had seemed to represent a maturing of Chibnall's craft, and to offer what Moffat's era lacked. A sense of the modern day, characters with heart, death and tragedy with lasting consequences.

I remember however always dreading the possibility of a Chibnall-helmed series, even back in 2012, when the portion of Series 7a he got given suggested maybe Moffat was planning to pass the torch to him. I had no hopes in him at all (I'm probably the only fan who would rather the job had gone to Neil Cross instead).

But for some reason fandom seemed to hedge their bets on him anyway. Perhaps because they sensed he would more likely ape the RTD approach and could be counted on to be a good zealot in that regard.

It's strange.

iank

iank

I think it was just the (vain) hope that we might end up with a reverse Moffat situation, where someone who was no great shakes as an individual writer turned out to be a better showrunner just by having a better grasp of what the show should be.
I felt it was an unlikely scenario, and my heart sank when he was announced, but I still held hope for a miracle, however unlikely.
Then we got the casting announcement...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Gatiss would have been better. His Who novels are good and he comes across as a proper fan. I question whether or not Chibnall has even seen that much of TruWho.

iank

iank

He's admitted to not having watched any of it in donkeys years.

Yeah, a real fan there...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I would've loved a Gatiss' ran era.
Hell An Adventure in Space & Time makes me deeply sad that he wasn't the one chosen to helm the revival back in 2005.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

iank wrote:He's admitted to not having watched any of it in donkeys years.

Yeah, a real fan there...

I didn't know that.

Judging from some of his novels he seems to know how to write for certain doctors and captures the feel of their era well enough. Then again, they were written in the 90s.

Just forget about everything I just said.

Fendelman

Fendelman

I saw some video on youtube yesterday of Chibnall on a talkshow back in the 80s talking shit about Terror of the Vervioids. He's never written anything even 1/100 as good as Vervoids!

What was his best script, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship? I don't see how anyone could have expected anything good when that was the height of his work on Doctor Who. At least with Moffat, he had written some decent stuff before he took over. Even I'll admit to liking Blink.

Mott1

Mott1

Vervoids had its faults but it also had some of the wittiest dialogue in Who history. Better than stuff about 'the fam', anyway!

stengos

stengos

I wouldn't call myself a Chibnall defender but i was initially okay with his selection as showrunner mainly because I had enjoyed Broadchurch season 1 and Camelot was okay if a bit bland.

So that was it for me - based on other pogrammes he had done I thought Chibnall might be a safe pair of hands, steady the ship so to speak. Plus i assumed the decision to appoint a woman as the Doctor was pushed upon him by the BBC hierarchy but - crucially - he was an old Dr who fan so I thought he'd still give us good old fashioned adventure stories just with a girl saying the lines instead of a chap. I didn't think he'd be controversial.

Funny how things change, innit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum