iank
Ludders
Bernard Marx
Boofer
Fendelman
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? 12th February 2020, 11:50 am

Mott1

Mott1

The really crap thing about the equality and diversity obsession is that if Shittaker flops (and it appears she's doing just that) then they'll think the audience 'just isn't getting it' and replace her with a clone until we all start watching and enjoying it again, becoming good people in the process.

But it's not just Nu Who. Everything in the entertainment world seems more geared around breaking glass ceilings or being historically groundbreaking, rather than just putting out something genuinely good that most people would be proud of regardless of their politics or opinions.

27Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? 12th February 2020, 11:53 am

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Ludders wrote:
Like I said, blame her for being a shit actress

Bear in mind I've only watched The Woman Who fell to Earth (because my nieces begged me to watch it with them) so I don't have an honest opinion about her Doctor,
but I've seen her in lots of other things and I don't think she's a shit actress, I think she's a good soap opera tier actress that was badly miscast as the Doctor. Once again blame her best mate Chinballs for that.

28Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? 12th February 2020, 12:03 pm

stengos

stengos

Mott1 wrote:The really crap thing about the equality and diversity obsession is that if Shittaker flops (and it appears she's doing just that) then they'll think the audience 'just isn't getting it' and replace her with a clone until we all start watching and enjoying it again, becoming good people in the process.

But it's not just Nu Who. Everything in the entertainment world seems more geared around breaking glass ceilings or being historically groundbreaking, rather than just putting out something genuinely good that most people would be proud of regardless of their politics or opinions.

Yes. Exactly. "They" - the BBC -  are right. Its the audiences that are wrong. Its the old Reithean mentality - the BBC produces the show you should watch. So "shut the fuck up and watch what we broadcast". But whereas in the past you could see the sense of all that because we got well made, quality drama - Quatermass, I Claudius, Seret Army, Tinker Tailor, Smiley's People, Colditz, Elizabeth R, Six Wives of Henry VIII, Shadow of the Tower, An Englishman's Castle, [add what you want] - now we get Chibshit and i increasingly get fed up funding it regardless of whether or not i want to watch it.

I don't mind more wimmin writers / actors. I feel some shows are quite good - Bodyguard, Line of Duty, Happy Valley - putting wimmin in lead roles in programmes. Its when the hateful misandrist agenda takes over the show's narrative that i get fed up. If there is choice and variety in what they produce then fine. But it seems to me anything that falls outside the parameters of the BBC's E&D agenda just won't get produced any more.

29Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? 12th February 2020, 1:13 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

The point of diversity in the film and TV industry should be ensuring that talented people from minority backgrounds aren't being unfairly overlooked, not propelling talentless candidates into jobs they don't deserve for the sole purpose of filling a quota. I'm not even against casting initiatives designed to get more women and minorities into prominent roles, but talent and suitability must come first.

30Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? 12th February 2020, 1:15 pm

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

ClockworkOcean wrote:The point of diversity in the film and TV industry should be ensuring that talented people from minority backgrounds aren't being unfairly overlooked, not propelling talentless candidates into jobs they don't deserve for the sole purpose of filling a quota. I'm not even against casting initiatives designed to get more women and minorities into prominent roles, but talent and suitability must come first.

THIS. Well put.
We should live in a meritocracy without prejudice.

31Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? 12th February 2020, 3:38 pm

stengos

stengos

ClockworkOcean wrote:The point of diversity in the film and TV industry should be ensuring that talented people from minority backgrounds aren't being unfairly overlooked, not propelling talentless candidates into jobs they don't deserve for the sole purpose of filling a quota. I'm not even against casting initiatives designed to get more women and minorities into prominent roles, but talent and suitability must come first.

In terms of the representation of ethnic minorities and wimmin in shows i thought things were improving in the mid 2010's. Then, around 2016/17, the shit seemed to collide with the fan, the E&D guidelines appeared and we ended up where we are now. I have to be honest, Chibnall's Who was the first time I became really aware of it but looking at I-Player now it seems to predominate with BBC programmes. On balance i find ITV Hub provides a more balanced mix of drama programmes now. The last time i really enjoyed a BBC programme was "Missing" with James Nesbitt.

I agree entirely with what you say about meritocracy and ensuring people get a opportunities based on talent regardless of gender or ethnic characteristics. However, quite why a mindset has now suddenly prevailed that seems to favour equality of outcome rather than opportunity puzzles me.

32Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do you want to see NuWho cancelled? 13th February 2020, 6:42 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Lord Pertwee's Knob wrote:
Ludders wrote:
Like I said, blame her for being a shit actress

Bear in mind I've only watched The Woman Who fell to Earth (because my nieces begged me to watch it with them) so I don't have an honest opinion about her Doctor,
but I've seen her in lots of other things and I don't think she's a shit actress, I think she's a good soap opera tier actress that was badly miscast as the Doctor. Once again blame her best mate Chinballs for that.

Maybe not totally shit but certainly bland and forgettable. Definitely miscast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum