Kaijuko
REDACTED
Fendelman
iank
Pepsi Maxil
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Season 24 appreciation thread 25th January 2020, 8:53 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I have so much affection for this wonderfully fresh and bizarre season.

Season 24 appreciation thread  D07-7f12

Season 24 appreciation thread  Rani_210

Season 24 appreciation thread  Rani10

Season 24 appreciation thread  Dragon10

Season 24 appreciation thread  D07-7f11

Season 24 appreciation thread  Kangs10

Season 24 appreciation thread  D07-7f10

Season 24 appreciation thread  Season10

2Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 25th January 2020, 9:04 pm

iank

iank

It was my first season as a new young fan, so so do I. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 25th January 2020, 11:41 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Time and the Rani - A good story with the Rani (which we had far too few with, only two unless you want to count Dimensions in Time), let down by that mostly incoherent regeneration scene.

Paradise Towers - Like I said in the other thread, I watched it yesterday and it's not as shit as I remember, and there are some good parts - I like the kangs. (Admittedly, I was hitting the booze pretty hard the last time I saw it (about 10 years ago), but I distinctly remembered seeing Kroagnon as this really shit-looking floating disembodied head.) Still probably the weakest story of the season. (Or maybe second weakest after Delta)

Delta - Ok story. I like the parts of the plot that actually involve Delta and the Bannermen, but some of the stuff with the Navarinos was just too much over-the-top silliness for my taste. (This is sort of the same problem I have with Happiness Patrol, the whole look of the thing is just too silly, I can't take it seriously.)

Dragonfire -Probably the best of the season. I like Glitz, and it's a good introduction to Ace. I always wished they had revisited Glitz and Mel - I can just imagine Mel trying to get Glitz to drink carrot juice!

I think it is interesting to compare s24 to 23 and 25. In each case, I would say, those seasons have at least one story shittier than anything in 24, but also have at least one really good story (better than anything in 24) to raise it up.

23 has Mysterious Planet and Vervoids (which I like better than anything in 24), but it has Mindwarp (worse than anything in 24).

25 has Remembrance (The best Dalek story since Day, way better than anything in 24), then it has the Crappiness Patrol.

In the end, there is really no whole season of classic Who I don't like. I don't think s24 is at all deserving of the shit reputation it has, yet it's still not going make any of my top-10 lists any time soon either.

Last edited by Fendelman on 26th January 2020, 2:36 am; edited 2 times in total

4Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 26th January 2020, 12:25 am

REDACTED

Time And The Rani aside, I enjoy the other three stories as well. It has the lighter tone of Season 23 but somehow feels more fresher and fun with McCoy rather than a defeated looking Colin Baker. Hardly one of my all time favorite seasons but not as terrible as people make it out to be.

5Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 26th January 2020, 10:17 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Apart from Time and the Rani, I'm quite fond of Season 24.  In particular, the oddity that is Delta and the Bannermen- silly, cheap-looking, but a great deal of fun to watch, especially after a few drinks - a madcap combination of Kurosawa and Hi Di Hi. Ken Dodd the Tollmaster, a grim-looking Welsh holiday camp, a green baby, '50s Rock n 'Roll, bee-keeping, comedy Americans, that fella from Please Sir!, one of The Flying Pickets, motorbikes, The Devil's Galop, Don Henderson eating raw meat - even Ms. Langford has a kind of charm in this. It shouldn't work, but somehow it does. For me, at least.

"You are not the Happy Hearts Holiday Club from Bolton, but instead are spacemen in fear of an attack from some other spacemen?"

Season 24 appreciation thread  Doctor11

6Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 26th January 2020, 10:43 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Kaijuko wrote:Apart from Time and the Rani, I'm quite fond of Season 24.  In particular, the oddity that is Delta and the Bannermen- silly, cheap-looking, but a great deal of fun to watch, especially after a few drinks - a madcap combination of Kurosawa and Hi Di Hi. Ken Dodd the Tollmaster, a grim-looking Welsh holiday camp, a green baby, '50s Rock n 'Roll, bee-keeping, comedy Americans, that fella from Please Sir!, one of The Flying Pickets, motorbikes, The Devil's Galop, Don Henderson eating raw meat - even Ms. Langford has a kind of charm in this. It shouldn't work, but somehow it does. For me, at least.

"You are not the Happy Hearts Holiday Club from Bolton, but instead are spacemen in fear of an attack from some other spacemen?"

I agree. Delta is one of my personal favourites and possibly the best "feel-good" story of the classic series.

I might write a story about the events after Delta. I have a very outlandish idea that Rey, Burton, Goronwy and the two Americans decide to investigate alien activity in that part of Wales. Don't try and steal my idea, Big Finish Big Grin

7Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 26th January 2020, 10:51 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Maxil wrote:
Kaijuko wrote:Apart from Time and the Rani, I'm quite fond of Season 24.  In particular, the oddity that is Delta and the Bannermen- silly, cheap-looking, but a great deal of fun to watch, especially after a few drinks - a madcap combination of Kurosawa and Hi Di Hi. Ken Dodd the Tollmaster, a grim-looking Welsh holiday camp, a green baby, '50s Rock n 'Roll, bee-keeping, comedy Americans, that fella from Please Sir!, one of The Flying Pickets, motorbikes, The Devil's Galop, Don Henderson eating raw meat - even Ms. Langford has a kind of charm in this. It shouldn't work, but somehow it does. For me, at least.

I agree. Delta is one of my personal favourites and possibly the best "feel-good" story of the classic series.

I might write a story about the events after Delta. I have a very outlandish idea that Rey, Burton, Goronwy and the two Americans decide to investigate alien activity in that part of Wales. Don't try and steal my idea, Big Finish Big Grin

Great idea - Doctor Who should always be 'outlandish'. Very Happy

8Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 26th January 2020, 12:06 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I'm not keen on this series, but I admit I probably haven't watched anything from it in about 10 years. All I can say that I enjoyed about it, is that I quite fancied the cute biker girl from Delta and the Bannermen when I was younger. She would have made not a bad companion, but I think that Ace was the right choice.

Still Big Finish should have done a series where the Doctor picks Ray up after Ace leaves and she becomes the companion. Hey its not as bad as fucking Ian being involved in the Time War, or the Missy Chronicles.  LOL  LOL  LOL

9Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 27th January 2020, 9:31 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

One thing I will say in favour of Season 24 is it does actually, right from the beginning, wipe the slate completely clean from the rotten Saward era beforehand like it can just be forgotten now. In that sense it did give the show a future.

10Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 4:16 pm

bowelstreak

Banned

11Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 4:20 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Why should I care what he thinks? He thought NuWho was great until Series 9.

12Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 4:57 pm

Doctor7

I like that season

13Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 5:02 pm

stengos

stengos

Tanmann wrote:In that sense it did give the show a future.

You mean cancellation 3 years later?

14Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 5:19 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

That had nothing to do with the quality of the series.

15Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 6:07 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Pepsi Maxil wrote:That had nothing to do with the quality of the series.

It kind of did, Maxil.

And certainly if the show had been more interested in the 80's in being a show that was accessible to the mainstream rather than just a fringe of fans like Ian Levine, the ratings would've likely been more swelling by 1987 than shrinking.

16Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 6:09 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:
Tanmann wrote:In that sense it did give the show a future.

You mean cancellation 3 years later?

Well it was three more years that offered the remaining viewers a chance to have at least a better memory of the show than the events of Mindwarp.

And it's probably that good will and the hope of redemption that did eventually fuel the Seventh and Eighth Doctor comics, and the Big Finish audios.

I think if the show hadn't survived the Trial season and Mindwarp was what people remembered and that was their lasting impression, I have my doubts the show would've been able to rebuild any good will about itself.

I can't prove it would be so, it's just what my gut instinct says to me.

17Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 7:56 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Last edited by Ludders on 16th February 2020, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

18Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 8:49 pm

iank

iank

Pepsi Maxil wrote:That had nothing to do with the quality of the series.

Quite right. It's a massive, massive strawman and I suspect Tanmann knows it. It's essentially the inverse of the same logic that decrees the Tennant era to be the height of Doctor Who because of its high ratings.
Mainstream success only equals quality in the mind of idiots. LOL

19Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 16th February 2020, 8:50 pm

iank

iank

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Why should I care what he thinks? He thought NuWho was great until Series 9.

LOL Clearly the sign of a great intellect. Big Grin

20Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 19th February 2020, 7:56 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

21Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 20th February 2020, 1:43 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Sounds to me like they kept giving the 80's era more chances than it deserved.

The show just kept refusing to meet them half-way.

22Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 20th February 2020, 1:49 am

iank

iank

It's almost like confirmation bias or something. Rolling Eyes

23Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 20th February 2020, 2:07 am

Boofer

Boofer

Tanmann wrote:Sounds to me like they kept giving the 80's era more chances than it deserved.

Correct. Despite the very small improvements, I can't remember any of my playground peers liking McCoy at all. The general attitude was 'Eurgh! you don't watch that rubbish still, do you?'

Even my dad called Colin 'the mean one', and McCoy 'the embarrassing one'.

Calling the companion 'Ace' was unbelievably naff too - almost as if a bunch of patronising middle-aged executives were charged with giving her a name that was 'down wid da kids'. It's such a cornball moniker that the only times I can recall it being used elsewhere were for heavily ironic or comedic characters like Ace Rimmer or Ace Ventura.

24Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 20th February 2020, 3:16 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Boofer wrote:
Tanmann wrote:Sounds to me like they kept giving the 80's era more chances than it deserved.

Correct. Despite the very small improvements, I can't remember any of my playground peers liking McCoy at all. The general attitude was 'Eurgh! you don't watch that rubbish still, do you?'

Even my dad called Colin 'the mean one', and McCoy 'the embarrassing one'.

Calling the companion 'Ace' was unbelievably naff too - almost as if a bunch of patronising middle-aged executives were charged with giving her a name that was 'down wid da kids'. It's such a cornball moniker that the only times I can recall it being used elsewhere were for heavily ironic or comedic characters like Ace Rimmer or Ace Ventura.

I did manage to get a school friend to like McCoy when I was 12 and showed him Remembrance of the Daleks, but this was a bit into the Wilderness years, so there'd been some dust-settling by then.

I can certainly imagine by 1987-89, that weariness had set in with the whole show and its current taint, its schoolyard reputation was set, that for too long it had made itself too inaccessible to non-fans (whereas in the 70's it probably couldn't have been easier for a newbie to become a fan), and Season 24 had left too bad a first impression to turn around.

I liked Ace okay when she was just the 'muscle' of Season 25, I struggled a bit to take her as seriously as Season 26 and the NA's suddenly wanted me to. There was, I thought a bit of an intriguing dichotomy to her, in that she was at once that kind of TV executive idea of 'cool', but there was mystic hints of something more strange to her and to the show.

I think if naff elements (like Ace or K9) crop up in a show which still feels a dangerous, high-stakes universe, it can somewhat make them palatable, or at least did to me aged 11. I suppose Ace was a holdover from a more toothless season who was pushed to bring her element to the more edgy Season 25 and just about worked. Season 26 feels a little like they got ashamed of that beginning and decided they had to suddenly get serious with her. I often think maybe it was a change too far, too fast. But I can also see why fans felt it was a preferable, welcome change, that made up for lost time given how long stagnant the show had been beforehand.

25Season 24 appreciation thread  Empty Re: Season 24 appreciation thread 9th March 2020, 4:29 pm

The First Doctor

The First Doctor

bowelstreak wrote:

I'd take any story from this season over any of NuWho these days. Time and the Rani is at least entertaining despite it's flaws and while I just cannot get on with Delta and Bannermen, I'd still rather watch that.

Also despite it's production flaws at least it's more coherent then 23.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum