Ken Grubshaw
stengos
Ludders
REDACTED
Tanmann
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Where does Star Trek end for you?

Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_lcap0%Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_lcap15%Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_lcap0%Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_lcap15%Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_lcap8%Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_lcap8%Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_lcap46%Where does Star Trek end for you? I_vote_rcap 46% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 12:12 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I thought this might be an interesting poll for followers of Trek. Particularly those dismayed at its current incarnation.

2Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 12:18 pm

REDACTED

Undiscovered Country.

Anything after the original TV series and film series doesn't interest me to be honest.

3Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 12:39 pm

Ludders

Ludders

I've never seen Discovery yet. I've vaguely got it in mind to watch one of these days, (or years!) but Trek all feels very 'been there, done that' to me these days.
I voted for Enterprise btw... I was one of the few that actually liked it. 😂

4Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 1:05 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I voted Nemesis. Just to see the TNG crew out more than anything.

But yeah it pretty much ends for me with Voyager: Endgame (though I must say that episode ended in a far less interesting place than it began).

I could just never get into Enterprise. I got excited when it first got released early on video and rushed to get it. But I wasn't sure I quite got it by the end, and when it began showing on Channel 4, I must admit I was struggling to get enthused to stick with it (then again I was falling out of the habit of watching TV regularly anyway).

I think however it just didn't stick with me enough. It was just a bit too complicated and serious for its own good, and I didn't really take to the characters even though I've liked Bakula in other stuff.

After gorging myself on TNG, DS9 and Voyager in the 90's, in a period where we Trekkies never had it so good, it just felt already like the golden age was definitely over.

5Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 1:19 pm

stengos

stengos

Enterprise.

I don't like STD. I thought Jason Isaacs was good in his role but then they killed him off leaving us with Martin-Greens character. For me, Isaacs raised the bar. Once he was gone the only thing left was a collection of bland, weak actors with no on-screen presence at all. I am not much of a fan of Shatner's acting abilities but he was preferable to those in STD.

TOS, DS9 and STTNG were okay but Voyager bored me to tears. The characters seemed flat and lifeless to me.

I like the JJA films but they are sthg different. Entertaining in their own way.

Last edited by stengos on 23rd February 2020, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 1:26 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:TOS, DS9 AND STTNG were okay but Voyager bored me to tears. The characters seemed flat and lifeless to me.

It took a while, but I do think Voyager began to finally peak in Season 4 and began to become riveting anew (and not just because Seven was such a babe).

The problem is, from thenon the stakes just diminished and it became a foregone conclusion the crew were going to get home, and in that sense it lost its hook for me (if they'd gotten home in Season 4 or 5, it would've been a real 'high' moment, but it carried on for another three seasons). Also it wasn't long before the Borg became overused and a bit of a stick figure joke of an enemy.

7Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 3:36 pm

Ken Grubshaw

Ken Grubshaw

The Man Trap.

8Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 6:04 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I really wish Ashes of Eden had been adapted into a movie, I found that superior to Trek VI.

TNG? "All Good Things", no question about that, though I probably would still count "First Contact" too as it's a fond childhood memory and came at the peak of Trek's then-current global takeover.

Deep Space Nine probably should have stopped a year earlier with the six-episode Dominion occupation of DS9 and "Sacrifice of Angels"

Voyager should have ended with either "The Gift" (with Kes sending Voyager all the way through to the Alpha Quadrant)  or "Timeless" (Harry Kim sends them co-ordinates that correct his error and keeps them on course for the Alpha Quadrant)

Enterprise should have ended after "Storm Front".

Star Trek '09 was fine, Beyond was better, just ignore Into Darkness.

9Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 6:50 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Zarius wrote:Deep Space Nine probably should have stopped a year earlier with the six-episode Dominion occupation of DS9 and "Sacrifice of Angels"

Well, I definitely wouldn't want to lose In The Pale Moonlight, but I do think that Dominion War arc was ruined by being forcibly dragged out another season past its natural length. Far too much of Season 7 seemed to have to be padded out with all that nonsense with the Pah-Wraiths, Gul Dukat's machinations for power and corruption of Kai Winn, and that tedious bloody Bashir-Ezri-Worf love triangle.

Sacrifice of Angels was a very pointed, personal, memorable finale to its particular arc. What You Leave Behind oddly wasn't, and infact it had very little staying power (at least for me). If it was going to end memorably it should've ended with Sisko revealing a real trick up his sleeve that decided victory, like in In The Pale Moonlight. instead it just seemed to end with another routine space-battle that somehow was never as urgent as it should've been.

As for Voyager, I think maybe Hope & Fear would be the best ending. Maybe whereby they replicate the Dauntless' transwarp drive and it holds enough for them to reach Earth after all.

10Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 8:24 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

TOS is by far the best, but I also liked TNG and Voyager. DS9 and Enterprise were both inconsistent, you'd get an excellent episode one week, to only to get a shitty episode the next. But there is enough good stuff in both that I don't want to ignore either entirely, so I went with ENT: These Are The Voyages, even though I considered going with VOY: Endgame.

Although, I'd rather just forget about Generations and Nemesis because I hate that they killed off Kirk and Data. They killed Spock, but then they brought him back - you'd think they would have learned something the first time around. (That and Wrath of Kahn was just a way better movie.) I know everybody assumed Kirk died sometime before TNG started, but I just sort of assumed he lived to be an old man and died a rather uneventful death back on Earth. If you must have him die in a movie, then have him go out in a big way where he saves the entire galaxy. The way they did it was just fucking awful.

The less said about those horrible reboot movies, the scripts of which aren't even fit to line my cat box, the better. I never watched Discovery.

11Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:00 pm

Ludders

Ludders

To be honest, I think Voyager wasn't the only one that took 3 seasons to get going. I think DS9 was even more boring at first. Even TNG took a couple of years of bump starting.
I think all the Trek sequels have suffered from this. There have been some good early episodes, but a lot of inconsistency.

*waits for Maxil's Trek babes poll. 😂

12Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:03 pm

iank

iank

Enterprise, though I never liked Voyager. I've not seen Discovery but it doesn't look or sound like anything I'd like. 2009 onwards seems like the Trek equivalent of New Who to me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

13Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:07 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Ludders wrote:*waits for Maxil's Trek babes poll. 😂

Well, for me the main three Trek babes are Jeri Ryan, Chase Masterson (DS9: Leeta) and Ashley Judd (TNG: The Game).

Last edited by Tanmann on 21st January 2020, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:08 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:For me the main three Trek babes are Jeri Ryan, Chase Masterson (DS9: Leeta) and Ashley Judd (TNG: The Game).

Tanmann suddenly lovin dem hoes....

15Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:12 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Tanmann wrote:For me the main three Trek babes are Jeri Ryan, Chase Masterson (DS9: Leeta) and Ashley Judd (TNG: The Game).

Tanmann suddenly lovin dem hoes....

It's the 24th Century.

Hoes are so passe...

16Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:22 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

There are way more babes in the original series than the sequels. My top 3:

Kelinda from By Any Other Name
Thalassa from Return to Tomorrow
Kara from Spock's Brain

(Thalassa is actually the word for sea in ancient Greek, and Sargon was actually the name of one Old Akkadian and two Assyrian kings. The name in Akkadian (Sharru-kin) just translates as "the true king")

Last edited by Fendelman on 21st January 2020, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:32 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The main two TOS babes for me are Edith Keeler, and the Romulan Commander in The Enterprise Incident.

18Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 9:41 pm

iank

iank

I liked Nicole De Boer. Little packet of white chocolatey goodness. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

19Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 21st January 2020, 10:48 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Deanna Troi and Beverly Crusher Wink

Where does Star Trek end for you? E546bd2adfdcd5c758c3a566bafd40bc

20Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 22nd January 2020, 1:25 am

Ludders

Ludders

T'Pol. Not Jolene Blalock, but actually T'Pol. Cool Laughing

21Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 22nd January 2020, 5:29 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I much preferred T'pau

22Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 22nd January 2020, 5:32 am

Ludders

Ludders

That’s not canon. Wink

23Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 22nd January 2020, 5:48 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Ludders wrote:That’s not canon. Wink

LOL

24Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 18th February 2020, 4:16 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

To me, it's a very simple matter: Roddenberry/Berman Star Trek (1966-2005) and Kurtzman/Abrams Star Trek (2009-present) are two completely different things. One interests me, the other does not.

25Where does Star Trek end for you? Empty Re: Where does Star Trek end for you? 19th February 2020, 12:52 pm

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Hate everything post 2009.

Hate the JJ/bad Robot/Secret Hideout 25% different for legal reasons Star Trek.
It's generic scifi with a superficial Trek coating and none of Roddenberry's charm or philosophy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum