You are not connected. Please login or register

Why was Mary Whitehouse's campaign against the show so successful?

+2
REDACTED
Tanmann
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

It seems almost inconceivable now that anyone in the BBC should have even taken Mary Whitehouse and her Viewers and Listeners Association seriously. A pressure group of censorious busybodies and cranks who I imagine must've been well known by then as being a bloody nuisance to the corporation.

And yet somehow she managed to be taken seriously enough by the BBC to make them take a far more censorious attitude to Doctor Who from 1977 onward. Even though for the three years Hinchcliffe was in charge of the series, it had been taken to ever greater ratings strengths, somehow the BBC decided they had to be seen to act so drastically to appease Whitehouse's complaints, that they actually removed Hinchcliffe from the series. No talk, no remonstrations or second chances, he was just gone from the show with arbitrary swiftness.

I've heard various different accounts of why Mary Whitehouse was so good at achieving what she set out to do here, concerning Doctor Who. Some reports suggest she even had powerful contacts in the BBC she could use to exert influence.I know it was a more conservative time, and the BBC was probably a more conservative corporation back then. But it was also a decade where a lot of the BBC's TV shows were pushing the envelope, including children's shows like The Changes and Children of the Stones, so it seems strange that Doctor Who was singled out over them.

I have a little bit of a theory that there were maybe other coinciding concerns that made the BBC decide to make drastic changes to the show. Namely that they were having trouble selling the Tom Baker stories in Europe because it was often considered too scary for children by foreign networks. So maybe they wanted to make the show tamer to make it more exportable, and Whitehouse's complaints gave them the extra licence or leverage to make said changes.

But the question remains. How did such a hapless opponent bring down such a giant? Ad why were the BBC prepared to be so reckless with their flagship show's production team make-up, right when it was at its most secure and successful, ratings-wise? Why were they prepared to throw away that golden egg for her sake?

REDACTED

Because the BBC were spineless and never treated the show properly. Evidently with this, the stuff with Grade and the state its in today.

She also cancelled another series called The Omega Factor which also starred Louise Jameson for the references to witchcraft and the occult.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I've seen The Omega Factor, many years ago. I lent the set off a friend at the time. It was alright from what I remember, and Jameson was certainly very good in it.

I knew it only lasted the one season. I didn't know its cancellation in its cradle was Mary Whitehouse's doing though.

She really DID have the BBC whipped back then.

REDACTED

Well it was the one episode called Powers Of Darkness that she trashed as being evil and satanic, but as the Deadly Assassin showed. You only need one complaint from Whitehouse and your show is fucked.

Mott1

Mott1

Having gotten away with some incredibly edgy stuff the Monty Python team also had notorious trouble with Mary Whitehouse around series 3.

It led to the ridiculous, fittingly Python-like situation in a sketch where a character was supposed to list his hobbies as 'golf, strangling animals and masturbation' but the only hobby that survived the censor was 'golf' - with the studio audience then laughing massively at the originally-recorded line!

Certain rock bands of the time also had reservations about her : -

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Mott1 wrote:Having gotten away with some incredibly edgy stuff the Monty Python team also had notorious trouble with Mary Whitehouse around series 3.

It led to the ridiculous, fittingly Python-like situation in a sketch where a character was supposed to list his hobbies as 'golf, strangling animals and masturbation' but the only hobby that survived the censor was 'golf' - with the studio audience then laughing massively at the originally-recorded line!

Certain rock bands of the time also had reservations about her : -

Fantastic album. “Hey you, Whitehouse... ha ha, charade you are...you house proud town mouse...”

iank

iank

Because then, as now, wimps listen to whiners instead of telling them to go fuck themselves with their horseshit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Fendelman

Fendelman

After reading this thread I decided to check out The Omega Factor (found it on youtube). I watched the first episode - good stuff, I think I'm going to pick up the DVDs and watch the rest of it properly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum