Doctor7
iank
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Favorite Soundtracks Empty Favorite Soundtracks 26th December 2019, 7:23 pm

REDACTED

The original series had a wide range of soundtracks that ranged from the eerie hums of Tristan Cary to the bombastic wide range of orchestral cues from Dudley Simpson to the synths and guitars of the Radiophonic Workshop. But which are your favorite?

My favorites

The Daleks (1963): Tristam Cary

3:05 to 3:17 still gives me the chills. Way ahead of its time

The Web Of Fear: Various Stock Music with Bela Bartok's Music For Strings, Percussion And Celestia

Another excellent eerie atmospheric soundtrack with the opening bit and Bartok's music still giving me the chills. Also an excellent use of Space Adventure 4.

Logopolis (1981): Paddy Kingsland

I may not be the biggest fan of Logopolis but the somber, haunting soundtrack still stays strong in my mind.

The Two Doctors (1985): Peter Howell

From the tense martial theme of The Sontarans to the horror esque theme of the Androgums as well as the lovely music for the scenes in Seville helps give the Two Doctors it's seasoned and exquisite taste.

Genesis Of The Daleks (1975): Dudley Simpson

Tense, fitting and excellent to listen on its own. As well as giving us the best theme for the Daleks.

The Invasion (1968): Don Harper

One of The Invasions many excellent points is Don Harper's unique soundtrack. It's slinky, mysterious and sounds like Doctor Who meets Bond.

Enlightenment (1983): Malcolm Clarke

Enlightenment's magical, adventurous surrealism is further enhanced by Malcolm Clarke's excellent, magical surreal score. 6:15-7:54 is my favorite piece.

Spearhead From Space (1970): Various stock music

More excellent, creepy and cinematic music to go with the cinematic feel of Spearhead.

Resurrection Of The Daleks (1984): Malcolm Clarke

One of the lesser Dalek stories of the original series but an excellent soundtrack nontheless.

2Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 26th December 2019, 8:17 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Not gonna lie, I'm personally less for the truly atmospheric pieces (although the Cybermen theme in Moonbase/Tomb is truly great), and I'm more for the tracks that have a consistent catchy melody and varied instruments. Also, I love the Pertwee era to death, but it's music has always been ear grating if I'm being honest (especially in The Silurians/Sea Devils) So, my choices are mostly from the 80s, where I think Who music peaked, especially in the McCoy era.

My personal favourite Who score. It's just so damn catchy, and anything that has an electric guitar or a big band is a win in my book.

Again, the electric guitar really conveys the medieval style of this story. Maybe I'd like it to be a bit more orchestral heavy metal to fit the medieval style but I still like it.

Another perfect piece, it conveys that Fenric is truly an unstoppable force and it almost conveys that the Doctor and co are terrified and have no way of stopping him without dumb luck.

Hmm, I wonder if you can guess why I like this soundtrack.

Alright, I'll credit a NewWho score, and this is actually one that I love. And no, it's not because it's from my favourite NewWho story. Because it sounds so unlike Murray Gold. It sounds alien, atmospheric and ancient. It's truly a wonderful piece, and I wished that Murray kept this form of variety, but sadly he didn't.

3Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 26th December 2019, 8:47 pm

iank

iank

I agree the 80s, and esp the McCoy era, have some excellent scores - Dragonfire, Patrol, Greatest Show and Patrol also spring to mind. State of Decay has a great Kingsland score too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 26th December 2019, 9:43 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Terror of the Zygons, Revelation of the Daleks, Enlightenment, Genesis of the Daleks, The Web of Fear, Inferno, Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Remembrance of the Daleks

5Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 26th December 2019, 9:46 pm

Doctor7

For me my favorites are logopolis,castravalva,deadly assassin,five doctors,remembrance of the daleks,earthshock,

6Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 27th December 2019, 9:32 am

stengos

stengos

Destiny of the Daleks.

7Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 27th December 2019, 1:02 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Anything by Keff McCulloch and Mark Ayres.

8Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 27th December 2019, 5:19 pm

REDACTED

Also forgot Roger Limb's last two scores. Hard to believe this was the same guy who violated our ears with the music of Time Flight and Arc Of Infinity....

9Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 27th December 2019, 5:36 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:Also forgot Roger Limb's last two scores. Hard to believe this was the same guy who violated our ears with the music of Time Flight and Arc Of Infinity....

Well......

..... he was a late developer. Wink

10Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 10th January 2020, 6:12 pm

REDACTED

As shite as his music was for Death To The Daleks. I've never had a problem with this. Carey Blyton is arguably the Eric Serra of Doctor Who Composers.

5:03 to 5:17 is my favorite bit.

11Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 19th January 2020, 1:29 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Keff's work is unfairly reviled by fans for reasons I just do not understand. Lakertya is one of the most effectively realized alien planets in Doctor Who because of the otherworldly nature of his score. You really get the sense that the planet is a strange and usual place where hidden terrors lurk just beyond the horizon.

My favourite bits are:

0:12-1:40

5:02-6:29

12Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 19th January 2020, 3:37 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote: Carey Blyton is arguably the Eric Serra of Doctor Who Composers.

I wouldn't go far that. Even Roger Limb on his worse day isn't as bad as Eric Serra.

What the hell was he thinking with this?

Just remember that this track was removed from the finished version and replaced with something else. I can't imagine why. LOL

John Barry was a master at keeping his scores fresh and up to date while retaining that old school Bond sound. Eric just didn't have a clue.

This is how you do it properly:

13Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 19th January 2020, 8:10 pm

REDACTED

This one's pretty lovely listening. Very atmospheric and even eerie in quite a few places....

14Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 23rd January 2020, 1:56 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I like the music in The Myth Makers. Nice and old fashioned.

15Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 23rd January 2020, 2:24 pm

REDACTED

Whilst The Space Pirates is a flawed story. The soundtrack is fucking excellent. The wailing really gives an eerie, distant hollow feeling in the vasts of space.

16Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 23rd January 2020, 2:26 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I like the music in The Myth Makers. Nice and old fashioned.

Indeed. Very vintage and lovely!

17Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 23rd January 2020, 4:27 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:Whilst The Space Pirates is a flawed story. The soundtrack is fucking excellent. The wailing really gives an eerie, distant hollow feeling in the vasts of space.

Good stuff!

My favourite Dudley Simpson score is still The Underwater Menace:

18Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 25th January 2020, 10:20 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

4:57-6:02 is hauntingly beautiful.

19Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 31st January 2020, 8:02 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Sounds like Malcolm had a dodgy curry the night before recording this:

I really hope no one else was in the room at 4:51!

20Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 2nd February 2020, 11:20 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

0:54-1:16 Fuck yes!

21Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 7th February 2020, 4:23 pm

stengos

stengos

City of Death.

22Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 7th February 2020, 5:02 pm

REDACTED

stengos wrote:City of Death.

Indeed. That's quite a nice one. Lovely listening on its own.

23Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 7th February 2020, 5:14 pm

REDACTED

This one's also a favorite. Whilst Logopolis's soundtrack is great for the cold winter months, this one remains one of my favorites to listen to in spring.

24Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 14th February 2020, 10:57 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

This is really good. Literally the only good thing about the story:

25Favorite Soundtracks Empty Re: Favorite Soundtracks 15th March 2020, 2:07 pm

REDACTED

Quite a relaxing suite. Perfect listening.

4:34-6:04 really conveys the tone for this tale.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum