You are not connected. Please login or register

Who are your least favorite writers of classic tru who?

+2
Boofer
Pepsi Maxil
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Doctor7

Who are your least favorite writers of classic tru who?

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bob Baker & Dave Martin.

REDACTED

Bob Baker & Dave Martin, Peter Grimwade and Eric Saward.

The Three Doctors and The Sontaran Experiment are the only Baker/Martin scripts that I like.

Grimwade was an excellent director and although I'm fond of Mawdryn Undead, Time Flight and Planet Of Fire are pretty weak. The former is just nonsensical dull bollocks and the latter is IMO pretty dull.

Saward is also a frustrating choice as although Earthshock and Revelation Of The Daleks are classics, The Visitation is pretty mediocre and Resurrection Of The Daleks is just a complete mess that tries too hard to copy Earthshock's success. Also I think that he didn't understand the character of The Doctor well (Still better when compared to NuWho for the most part).

iank

iank

I'd agree with most of those, though I don't mind Planet of Fire.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Boofer

Boofer

Pip and Jane. Content-wise, but I love how they be. Lovely peeps.

'David Agnew'. Primarily for The Invasion of Time.

Terry Nation. C'mon, apart from The Daleks and Genesis, most of his stuff amounted to tired retreads or lazy, ill-conceived yarns full of action but little substance. Planet is just The Daleks repackaged; Destiny doesn't even get the Dalek's physiogeny right, Day of The Daleks has a shit load of holes in it, Keys of Marinus is okay until it falls apart in the last 2 episodes, and the Android Invasion is lamentably poor and badly thought through (eye patch anyone?) He was also know for turning in scripts late, rushing jobs or just turning in outlines. Given the jump in quality for Genesis in terms of plotting and dialogue, I've always felt that someone else fleshed it out.

Anthony Read. Partly responsible for 'David Agnew' and the unflushable turd that is The Horns of Nimon.

REDACTED

Cunnus Maximus wrote:Terry Nation. C'mon, apart from The Daleks and Genesis, most of his stuff amounted to tired retreads or lazy, ill-conceived yarns full of action but little substance. Planet is just The Daleks repackaged; Destiny doesn't even get the Dalek's physiogeny right, Day of The Daleks has a shit load of holes in it, Keys of Marinus is okay until it falls apart in the last 2 episodes, and the Android Invasion is lamentably poor and badly thought through (eye patch anyone?) He was also know for turning in scripts late, rushing jobs or just turning in outlines. Given the jump in quality for Genesis in terms of plotting and dialogue, I've always felt that someone else fleshed it out.

I was actually tempted to put down Nation, but at the same time I was worried I'd wake up to an angry mob wielding pitchforks. LOL

iank

iank

Um, Nation didn't write Day.

It's also a great story, so fuck you too. Big Grin

Boofer

Boofer

iank wrote:Um, Nation didn't write Day.

It's also a great story, so fuck you too. Big Grin

Shhh, fanboy! Wink

It's so shit that I thought it was a Terry Nation. LOL

Louis Marks. Cum to drink of it, he was a bit shit too, wasn't he?

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Johnny Byrne for me.

His stories were just incredibly leaden and seemed to preach an inconsistent, confused, pretentious morality that changed with the wind just to make his empty stories look clever and meaningful.

He should've stuck to Space 1999.

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:Johnny Byrne for me.

His stories were just incredibly leaden and seemed to preach an inconsistent, confused, pretentious morality that changed with the wind just to make his empty stories look clever and meaningful.

Keeper Of Traken was great but it was his other two stories that were pretty poor.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Tanmann wrote:Johnny Byrne for me.

Keeper Of Traken was great but it was his other two stories that were pretty poor.

Traken was okay, but I suspect much of that owed to Bidmead's script-doctoring, and John Black's direction. But even in that I can see Byrne's ideas about the 'perfect' peaceful society (that has the death penalty) are severely confused and contrary.

iank

iank

Oh God yes, Byrne. How could I have forgotten him? Traken is only moderately saved from its own dullness by the last-minute JNT-dictated insertion of the Master. Without that it would be even more boring than it already is.

Doctor7

Bob baker and Dave Martin I really do not like the mutants one bit. I do like Malcolm hulke but colony in space was extremely dull and boring.

iank

iank

Yeah Baker and Martin are up there though I do like Three Doctors and Sontaran Experiment. I don't even mind Armageddon Factor unlike many.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum