Bernard Marx
Ludders
Boofer
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vincent and the Doctor Empty Vincent and the Doctor 1st December 2019, 9:02 pm

Ludders

Ludders

I've just re-watched this and found it better than I thought, for the most part.
What's The Hive consensus on it?
Is it a fleck of gold in the shit? Or just another turd?

2Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 1st December 2019, 9:12 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I was actually planning on making a thread on this myself- thanks for doing the honours yourself! I think it’s superbly directed and acted, and features a great deal more genuine pathos than most NuWho stories, although I’m unsure as to what I think about the ending. Though it has more to it in terms of subtext than most “emotional” endings to NuWho, the editing in conjunction with the musical track reminds me of a glorified music video, which comes across as a little immature and doesn’t necessarily gel too well with the depressed and tortured artist of Van Gough (though I appreciate the sentiments the episode provided). I don’t think the monster was particularly well realised either in reference to the overall story, mind, and could have been a little less obvious in its design inspiration (that of a bloody chicken).

In reference to the ending, I see why it divides Classic fandom, and I’ll be re-watching it again soon as to affirm my refreshed thoughts, although as of now, I’d say it’s pretty good.

3Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 1st December 2019, 9:13 pm

iank

iank

It's alright. I vary on it, I think you have to be in the right mood.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 1st December 2019, 9:19 pm

Boofer

Boofer

I like it. One of the few NuWhos I still rate.

It's typical Curtis in terms of its open, emotional manipulation of the viewer, so its focus is on empathy and greatness rather than authentic science fiction.

Performances are pretty stellar, especially the chap playing Van Gogh.

5Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 1st December 2019, 9:21 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Cunnus Maximus wrote:Performances are pretty stellar, especially the chap playing Van Gogh.

Yes, credit due. All the cast were good, but especially him.

6Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 1st December 2019, 9:29 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:I’m unsure as to what I think about the ending. Though it has more to it in terms of subtext than most “emotional” endings to NuWho, the editing in conjunction with the musical track reminds me of a glorified music video, which comes across as a little immature and doesn’t necessarily gel too well with the depressed and tortured artist of Van Gough (though I appreciate the sentiments the episode provided)

In reference to the ending, I see why it divides Classic fandom, and I’ll be re-watching it again soon as to affirm my refreshed thoughts, although as of now, I’d say it’s pretty good.

Actually the ending really worked for me, but a big caveat to that is the music. It's my personal opinion that 'less is more'. Very often with NuWho in particular, the music detracts from any genuine emotions on screen, rather than enhancing them as it should. Gold is simply rubbish at subtlety. Well.... NuWho is generally rubbish at subtlety. But on balance, a much better job of the ending was done compared to most NuWho plastic emo scenes.

7Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 1st December 2019, 9:32 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:I’m unsure as to what I think about the ending. Though it has more to it in terms of subtext than most “emotional” endings to NuWho, the editing in conjunction with the musical track reminds me of a glorified music video, which comes across as a little immature and doesn’t necessarily gel too well with the depressed and tortured artist of Van Gough (though I appreciate the sentiments the episode provided)

Actually the ending really worked for me, but a big caveat to that is the music. It's my personal opinion that 'less is more'. Very often with NuWho in particular, the music detracts from any genuine emotions on screen, rather than enhancing them as it should. Gold is simply rubbish at subtlety. Well.... NuWho is generally rubbish at subtlety. But on balance, a much better job of the ending was done compared to most NuWho plastic emo scenes.
Don’t get me wrong- minus the editing and music, I think it’s really rather good, and offers a lovely touch of nuance concerning Van Gough’s finality and the consequences that emerged from the Doctor’s involvement that hits harder than most NuWho stories. It’s only the music I’m uncertain of, and I think it does undermine the maturity and pathos of the scene at first glance.

It’s aeons better than the fucking awful conclusion to “Doomsday”, where any emotional resonance is coerced through characters simply crying and the NuWho production team turning the music up to the greatest degree possible, and with fuck all in the way of subtext to speak of.

8Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 3rd December 2019, 10:18 am

stengos

stengos

I dont think its part of the Turd Dynasty. I remember quite liking it although i thnk i have only watched it twice.

As with David Warner in a later story i think it wasted Bill Nighy who could have been given a bigger role if he was going to be used in a Doctor Who story. Instead he was given a bit part - a museum tour guide if i remember correctly.

9Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 3rd December 2019, 8:49 pm

iank

iank

I still can't get over Roy Marsden being in Who and being given all of two scenes.

10Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 27th March 2020, 12:31 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Next week's watchalong will be this very episode, airing on March 30th, Van Gogh's birthday

https://twitter.com/Emily_Rosina/status/1243268673944633344

Richard Curtis will be live-tweeting.

11Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 27th March 2020, 6:16 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Mostly a middling story that feels puatchy and rushed in places, but with a pretty solid final ten minutes.

12Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 27th March 2020, 6:47 pm

REDACTED

Eh, Kazza was hot in it. Top marks in my eyes. Wink

Jokes aside, it's a rather wonderful tale and along with the Angel two parter, shows how brilliant NuWho could've been as a sequel to the original series had they stuck with tales of this caliber.

13Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 28th March 2020, 9:46 pm

Zarius

Zarius

14Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 28th March 2020, 11:18 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

They didn't need the monster at all.

15Vincent and the Doctor Empty Re: Vincent and the Doctor 29th March 2020, 2:07 am

iank

iank

I kinda think they did. I mean, it's Who - there's gotta be some kind of action and excitement. The Hartnell historicals have plenty of swashbuckling going on, but without the monster Vincent would just be a story about this guy being really, really depressed. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum