Dalek

+2
Bernard Marx
REDACTED
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dalek Empty Dalek 29th November 2019, 9:26 pm

REDACTED

2005's Dalek saw everyone's favorite ''Space Nazis'' return to television for the first time since 1988 but what is the Hive's stance on it?

2Dalek Empty Re: Dalek 29th November 2019, 10:07 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ll just copy my recent review of it in this thread:

I shall now be controversial. I have always found this overrated as all hell, and it’s only become all the more risible with age. Yes, the Dalek is treated rather modestly here during particular chunks of the story, which makes a change from most NuWho Dalek stories, but it’s still undermined by a sickeningly poorly realised final 10 minutes which undermines the Dalek completely via injecting mawkish melodrama into proceedings. Eccleston’s “I couldn’t... I wasn’t... Aw, Rose” in both dialogue and delivery, coupled with Gold’s saccharine music, is decidedly cringeworthy- frankly, the narrative would have benefited from Eccleston gunning down the Dalek to Rose’s despair as opposed to emoting in a decidedly unconvincing fashion. The guest cast are largely unmemorable too, largely composed of caricatures with questionable dialogue “I am so gonna patent that!”... “if you will not save the woman you love”, although there are certainly some standout lines too “I know what should happen...what you deserve...Exterminate!” “You would make a good Dalek”. The “elevate” scene is also more visually dated that that in “Remembrance of the Daleks” in spite of being 17 years younger. It’s a shame the story is as flawed as it is, as the source material “Jubilee” is superb, and I get the impression that Shearman’s script may have been edited, as all of his BF output I have experienced has been fantastic (The Holy Terror and Chimes of Midnight being especially good). Promising albeit flawed for the first 35 minutes or so, but let down completely by its final scene.

3Dalek Empty Re: Dalek 29th November 2019, 10:39 pm

iank

iank

I found this massively overhyped at the time, and always thought the ending hilariously laughably bad.
To be honest I haven't seen it for well over 6 years and have no particular desire to watch it again anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Dalek Empty Re: Dalek 29th November 2019, 11:12 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Neither do I. I honestly prefer the funny as hell Aliens of London two-parter Wink

5Dalek Empty Re: Dalek 29th November 2019, 11:24 pm

iank

iank

#MeToo. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

6Dalek Empty Re: Dalek 30th November 2019, 10:01 am

Ludders

Ludders

I still see it as one of the better stories, but again there's a lot of crap content that spoils it. Jubilee it ain't.
Eccleston has some great moments of anger, and the Dalek's killing spree is well done, but it's all ruined by the sickly emo content, particularly the gratuitous ending.
Having said that, it's way better than the utterly infantile Aliens of London.

7Dalek Empty Re: Dalek 30th November 2019, 10:24 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

It seems to be the case that every time NuWho attempts a story/adaptation based on an older Big Finish tale or book or comic strip, it is invariably inferior to the original source material.  Comparing Dalek to Jubilee is a perfect example, but Spare Parts serves as another instance and is, without doubt, much better than Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel (admittedly, these two shitty episodes are only loosely based on the 2002 audio release). The same applies to the DWM comic strip The Lodger (Gareth Robert's original tale features Tennant's Doctor, not Matt Smith's as in the TV version, but still..) and again, Cornell's New Adventure; Human Nature outshines Series 3's Human Nature/The Family of Blood in almost every way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum