Best 80s Dalek story I_vote_lcap0%Best 80s Dalek story I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Best 80s Dalek story I_vote_lcap47%Best 80s Dalek story I_vote_rcap 47% [ 7 ]
Best 80s Dalek story I_vote_lcap53%Best 80s Dalek story I_vote_rcap 53% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 15

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Best 80s Dalek story Empty Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 8:48 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Which is the best Dalek story of the 80s? To be honest, I love Revelation and Remembrance basically equally, so have not currently settled on a choice.

2Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 9:15 am

iank

iank

Definitely Remembrance, as much as I like Revelation.
Resurrection is just bad.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 9:15 am

stengos

stengos

Revelation first.

Then Resurrection.

4Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 9:31 am

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Revelation, then Remembrance.

5Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 10:16 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Remembrance.

6Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 10:27 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Settled on Revelation in the end. As good as Remembrance is, the atmosphere, dialogue and direction in Revelation is just unbeatable.

7Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 10:51 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Revelation.

But it could so nearly have been Remembrance.

8Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 26th August 2019, 12:16 pm

Ludders

Ludders

They all have their good points, but Remembrance for me.

Revelation would be bubbling under.
I like Resurrection, but the plot is a bit all over the place.

9Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 6th September 2019, 1:28 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Remembrance was the story that introduced me to DW, so it kills to vote for another...

... but this article sums up why for me: https://tv.avclub.com/doctor-who-classic-revelation-of-the-daleks-1798173397

10Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 6th September 2019, 6:26 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

'Remembrance Of The Daleks'. My wife couldn't stand McCoy until I showed her this story (a long time ago on tatty VHS).
George Sewell is grand.

I love the grimness and black humour of 'Revelation of the Daleks'.  Plus my fave Dalek design is the gold and cream 'Imperial' variety - features prominently in both stories.

11Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 8:43 pm

Arthur Stengos

Arthur Stengos

The best is Revelation of the Daleks followed by Resurrection of the Daleks. I’m not too keen of Remembrance of the Daleks.

12Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 9:01 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Remembrance is totally overrated McCrap nonsense.

I knew I was giving up on Who as soon as that fucking 'unlimited rice pudding, etc, etc' shit appeared on our old Hitachi CRT.

13Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 9:05 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Cunnus Maximus wrote:Remembrance is totally overrated McCrap nonsense.

Best 80s Dalek story Tumblr13

14Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 9:26 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Remembrance and Revlation are joint for me, but I can't quite hate Ressurection either.

15Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 10:37 pm

Doctor7

Cunnus how dare you call McCoy mcrap I sentence you to go to Sms to and suffer being blasted by the hand of omega.

16Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 11:18 pm

Boofer

Boofer

LOL

It's not terrible. But it's not as great as people make out either.

I think most fans of this story are just wanking over the action scenes and the Dalek civil war myself.

It certainly can't be about the dialogue or the acting.

17Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 11:22 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Cunnus Maximus wrote:LOL

It's not terrible. But it's not as great as people make out either.

I think most fans of this story are just wanking over the action scenes and the Dalek civil war myself.

It certainly can't be about the dialogue or the acting.

Not at all. The plot itself is well structured and incredibly layered. The direction is phenomenal and the extensive location filming around London gives the whole thing a sense of realism and grit.

It's better than people make it out to be.

18Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 1st October 2019, 11:49 pm

Boofer

Boofer

The plot is pretty linear and has some clunky 'racism is bad' messages that hammer you over the head just in case the idea of Daleks fighting other Daleks went over it.

Aldred is fucking terrible, as ever.

The direction isn't bad, and it's certainly the best shot story of it's era. But there are also some extra-cunty scenes, like the seat switch in the van, and the Doctor trying to act all foreboding like a mysterious God, while coming across like a totally out of his depth children's TV presenter.

19Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 2nd October 2019, 12:25 am

Ludders

Ludders

I can see all your points, especially about McCoy and Aldred's piss-poor acting, but I've come to accept that as kind of a given.
I like it for the Dalek action, the whole 1960's setting, and some of the guest cast, especially Simon Williams and Pamela Salem, and George Sewell.
On McCoy's acting, I always thought he came off best as the quieter more broody Doctor, like in some of the BF audios. It's only when he tries to ratch it up a bit that he starts getting embarrassing. That said, I've sort of made my peace with McCoy. I can even quite enjoy Battlefield these days. LOL
As for Aldred, yeah again she's rubbish, but I have to be honest and ask myself, Is she objectively any worse than say, Katy Manning? Ok, maybe a bit, but not much.
As least the tone in Remembrance is a massive improvement on S24. Wink

20Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 3rd October 2019, 11:24 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Fuck it- I’ll offer a genuine defence for Remembrance. It’s not a perfect story, and some of the dialogue and acting may be considered shaky, but it’s light years ahead of Resurrection in every conceivable way. The dialogue during the cafe scene in Remembrance is bristling with subtext (‘The ripples merge, and bounce along the banks in unforeseeable ways...’), subtly referring to the Doctor’s eventual decision to commit genocide without overtly stating it. There are other subtextual gems elsewhere too “your pallbearer is very quiet...silent as ghosts’, referring to the Doctor’s ultimately ghostly outlook towards the deathly decision he makes in destroying Skaro and his eventual reaction “Time will tell...it always does.”

Where is this subtext in Resurrection’s dialogue? Instead, we get gems like this “I’d rather die quickly than painfully of dehydration”. Not only does this line lack any subtext, but suggests that the character would prefer to be engulfed in nerve gas as opposed to dehydrate, which is considerably more painful. Appallingly written. The same goes for the rest of the story’s dialogue “I can’t stand the confusion in my mind!” and “We are defenceless”- it’s all either clunky exposition or nonsensical one-liners. The same goes for the acting- regardless of Aldred’s occasionally dodgy acting, the death scenes in Resurrection are so badly acted, it’s frankly ghastly. And at least Remembrance has something to say about the nature of genetical impurity- what does Resurrection have to say, exactly?

Don’t get me wrong- Remembrance may be a little overrated- but I fail to see how these flaws can’t be attributed to Resurrection, albeit in much greater abundance and without any of the subtext Remembrance occasionally presents.

21Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 3rd October 2019, 1:45 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Good thoughts there.
Whatever its faults, at least I know what's going on and why. With Resurrection I always feel like they accidentally edited bits out.

22Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 3rd October 2019, 2:14 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:Remembrance may be a little overrated

No.

23Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 3rd October 2019, 2:16 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Cunnus Maximus wrote:

Aldred is fucking terrible, as ever.

I'm going to come round your house and smear long since expired caramelized onion hummus all over your face.

24Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 3rd October 2019, 2:30 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:Remembrance may be a little overrated

No.
Only in the sense that I personally prefer both Revelation and a few other McCoy stories to it (Fenric and Survival in particular). It’s still great.

25Best 80s Dalek story Empty Re: Best 80s Dalek story 3rd October 2019, 9:46 pm

iank

iank

Why would Remembrance need a defence? Seal's just being a trolling cunt.
If Remembrance is crap, then all of Who is, because you can rip every bit of it to pieces if you're so inclined.
But that's just the behaviour of tossers. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum