iank
Pepsi Maxil
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I might actually buy the book just to support Sophie Aldred as an author and the character of Ace. I'm wary of the Chibnall/Whittaker stuff that's in it, though. I wish she'd just done an adventure with only her instead of having Whittaker in it as well. I bet she was forced to include her.

stengos

stengos

I dont watch the McCoy era much tbh but i have seen each story at least once.

Having seen Survival i have to admit i never got the lesbian subtext to Ace's relationship with that cat -girl / woman. Yes i noticed they were looking at each other a bit oddly in the story but i thought that was two old friends semi-recognising each other despite all the changes the other girl had gone thru to metamorphasise into the cat girl. Colour me stupid i guess.

Have Rona Munro / Cartmel actually confirmed there was a girl-on-girl subtext here or is it just fans surmising?

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think both Rona and Cartmel have said that was in the original script, but that JNT vetoed it.

burrunjor

burrunjor

stengos wrote:I dont watch the McCoy era much tbh but i have seen each story at least once.

Having seen Survival i have to admit i never got the lesbian subtext to Ace's relationship with that cat -girl / woman. Yes i noticed they were looking at each other a bit oddly in the story but i thought that was two old friends semi-recognising each other despite all the changes the other girl had gone thru to metamorphasise into the cat girl. Colour me stupid i guess.

Have Rona Munro / Cartmel actually confirmed there was a girl-on-girl subtext here or is it just fans surmising?

They have.

Here's a quote from Rona Munro.

Rona Munro wrote:[They] should have just had cheetah eyes and a very faint pigmentation round of cheetah spots, and big canine teeth. And in fact, I think the actors that were cast, from what I was told, were doing all this wonderful expressive facial work, and then these 'Puss In Boots' things were dropped on them – and so then you can't see what they're doing under there. Particularly Karra and Ace, there were whole amazing scenes between them and for me, that was supposed to be my lesbian subtext – and you can't see it!

Also if you look more closely you can see it.

When the Cheetah babe first shows up, Ace stares in amazement, smiles and even mouths "WOW".

Also the Doctor warns Ace that the Cheetah people are dangerously attractive.

I suppose it could be interpreted as just a friendship. The fact that Kara calls her sister doesn't help things LOL. Still it was certainly there to an extent unlike Pertwee and Delgado. Big Grin

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I can totally see Ace being bi. That wasn't my issue with Beth's post. I'm a little surprised that Sophie herself has, from Beth's word, made the character appear as if she's completely straight.

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

In all honesty, I personally ship 5 and Nyssa myself. Both are similar in the way that 4 and Romana 2 are. Both equally similar personalities. I don't mind shipping as long as writers don't pander to fans demands, allow the shipping to take precedent over the core elements of a show. Also fans that constantly harass creators for 'queer baiting' or not getting the ships that they wanted, to the point that said creator would leave the show or delete their social media accounts, can actually seriously fuck off.

Infinitic

Infinitic

Just finished reading. The blandest DW book of all Razz

Zarius

Zarius

Infinitic wrote:Just finished reading. The blandest DW book of all Razz

Gordon Bennet. Shocked

Infinitic

Infinitic

Zarius wrote:

Gordon Bennet. Shocked

Gordon Who?

Zarius

Zarius

Infinitic wrote:
Zarius wrote:

Gordon Bennet. Shocked

Gordon Who?

It's Ace's catchphrase from Dragonfire. Stand in for "holy shit" I imagine.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I never bought it in the end. £12 for a book is taking the piss anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum