TiberiusDidNothingWrong
iank
Pepsi Maxil
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Zarius

Zarius

Sophie Aldred has written a new novel called "At Childhood's End", it centres on a much older Ace, having again parted ways with the Seventh Doctor on bad terms and running her charity organisation referenced in SJA, helping out Jodie's Doctor and her "fam" to investigate mysterious creatures kidnapping young runaways from the streets

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/doctor-who/284192/doctor-who-sophie-aldred-writes-ace-centric-who-book

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Really terrible idea. I just can't imagine Ace without the Seventh Doctor. I really hope she doesn't call Jodie's Doctor "Professor."

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

No

iank

iank

Oh Sophie, really. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

So sad

Zarius

Zarius

How much of it do you reckon she actually wrote though? There could have been uncredited touch-ups.

Zarius

Zarius

There's a Seventh Doctor Big Finish audio coming out in January which appears to be the follow-up to the Series 26 Ace trailer, and possibly the precursor to the Ace and 13 Novel

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=exclusive-the-seventh-doctor-ace-dark-universe&fbclid=IwAR0Bo1SSYV5cazMf8T2he3p56zHzqiExkAyRxUPG8NEyLIXEcrDq3eDV_BE

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

The sheer arrogance of the Fitzroy clique beggars belief. These cunts actually think themselves so superior to those who made the real Doctor Who that they feel entitled to contradict Andrew Carmel's intended outcome for his own character.

Zarius

Zarius

Yeah, I much prefer Ace's destiny in "Death Comes To Time" as heir to the TARDIS than New Who's "Queen of Oxfam"

Zarius

Zarius

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Zarius wrote:Yeah, I much prefer Ace's destiny in "Death Comes To Time" as heir to the TARDIS than New Who's "Queen of Oxfam"

I agree completely. It's not exactly what Cartmel had in mind, but it's close enough, and comes with the immesurably valuable bonus of permanently killing off the Doctor, thus erasing NuWho and the TV Movie from canon. As far as I'm concerned, it's the legitimate conclusion to the Doctor's story.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I really don't like this Beth woman.

"I'm disappointed to find that Ace seems to be straight"

???????????????????????????????????????

https://twitter.com/0hMySt4rs/status/1223187215712497664

Zarius

Zarius

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I really don't like this Beth woman.

I love her reaction to Glitz having boned Ace, as well as the flood of comments in denial about that and repeatedly bringing up Survival as evidence of how bi she is LOL

burrunjor

burrunjor

To be fair when I was young I always wanted Ace and that cute Asian girl from Battlefield to get together.

They would have made an unbelievably cute and sexy couple. Why can't all these tumblr fans do pictures of them together?

Also in all fairness to Beth, Ace was intended to be bisexual. Survival was going to have a full blown lesbian subtext between Ace and Kara, it was just covered up by the silly masks.

I don't think the Cheetah masks are terrible, but I agree with Rona Munro that it made the story less effective.

If they'd just been savage looking humans, it would have been groundbreaking. When they ate people, imagine how scary that would have looked. Also Ace's relationship with Kara I'd argue would have gone beyond a subtext if you'd had those scenes between two human looking women.

As it is, it more looks like Ace is into bestiality LOL. When the Cheetah woman first appears, Ace looks at her like she's attracted, which would have made sense if she was a beautiful Cheetah woman, but as it now it looks odd LOL.

Having said that though I agree that Beth is annoying with crap like this. I don't think I've had any dealings with her, so I can't say if she's arrogant like Paul Cornell. The fact that she's in with him though suggests she is. Big Grin

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Like I said, I just think Beth's probably a genuinely nice girl who's just sadly drank the kool aid.

I have no desire to spoil her enjoyment of the book, but it seems the ideology she's hitched herself to compels her to vigilantly spoil her own.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:

To be fair when I was young I always wanted Ace and that cute Asian girl from Battlefield to get together.

They would have made an unbelievably cute and sexy couple. Why can't all these tumblr fans do pictures of them together?

Also in all fairness to Beth, Ace was intended to be bisexual. Survival was going to have a full blown lesbian subtext between Ace and Kara, it was just covered up by the silly masks.

I don't think the Cheetah masks are terrible, but I agree with Rona Munro that it made the story less effective.

If they'd just been savage looking humans, it would have been groundbreaking. When they ate people, imagine how scary that would have looked. Also Ace's relationship with Kara I'd argue would have gone beyond a subtext if you'd had those scenes between two human looking women.

As it is, it more looks like Ace is into bestiality LOL. When the Cheetah woman first appears, Ace looks at her like she's attracted, which would have made sense if she was a beautiful Cheetah woman, but as it now it looks odd LOL.

Having said that though I agree that Beth is annoying with crap like this. I don't think I've had any dealings with her, so I can't say if she's arrogant like Paul Cornell. The fact that she's in with him though suggests she is. Big Grin

No, it seems to be me that Beth is one of those people who cannon't stand the idea of characters being straight. Heterophobia is rampant in certain circles. There are people that want characters to be bi or gay and that's absolutely fine. What isn't fine are the more extreme types that do not want any straight relationships being portrayed on television.

I personally wanted Tegan and Nyssa to get together myself. They would have made an adorable couple. I honestly don't mind this "shipping" thing.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I personally wanted Tegan and Nyssa to get together myself. They would have made an adorable couple. I honestly don't mind this "shipping" thing.

Nah, Teegan's got too nasty a personality, whilst Nyssa is too much of a pushover. Nyssa would just be forced to go along with everything Teegan wanted which would make Nyssa worse. Just look at that awful video of them both slagging off JNT.

Ace and the cute Asian girl meanwhile would balance each other out quite well. The Asian babe is a total nerd. Ace meanwhile is a tomboy, however Ace has a vulnerable side underneath and is actually very sensitive like in Fenric. She also has a lot of abandonment issues too. So the Asian babe would bring out that side in her, and make Ace feel more comfortable with herself and help her get over her feeling that nobody loves her.

On the other hand the Asian babe isn't a total pushover. She's nerdy and cute, but she's not someone that just gets pushed to the side like Nyssa, so she wouldn't just go along with everything Ace said, and she would learn to stand up for herself a bit more thanks to Ace who is tougher.

I don't mind shipping in principle. We all have ways we get obsessive over fiction, but I do think shipping has led to the end of several franchises.

Certainly Buffy and DW both suffered terribly as a result of shipper fans. I think its because its a past time more associated with women (even though it isn't actually,) self loathing fanboys like Paul Cornell refuse to ever criticise it. I can't find that awful quote of Paul Cornell's about how female fandom is always more intelligent than male fandom. UGH such condescension. How about viewing female fans like male fans Paul, IE they can be stupid too.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Ah found it.

Dear good this is worse than I remember.

Paul Cornell wrote: Female fandom in all its forms has been consistently more intelligent than male fandom across the globe. Gay fandom in all its forms has, again, been consistently more intelligent than straight fandom. There's a liberal, American, college-based fandom too. When you come down to it, our central audience doesn't read. And that's a major problem for us... how do we address a new series of books to an audience who don't know what good books should be like?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

What a pompous, egocentric, condescending, self aggrandizing dickhead Paul Cornell is.

Lady Lusipher if you are reading this (and I know you are Big Grin ) Now do you see why I hate this tosser.

He just makes me think he's got something to hide, as he doesn't see women and gay people as people. He sees them as children who need to be pandered too and flattered to a ridiculous degree.

The worst though is his crap of CDW fans don't know good books, and its up to him to show them what it is. Oh the irony for a group of people who dumbed down Doctor Who in all its forms.

"You lot are too busy arguing about the dishes to know the house is on fire." Yeah really intellectual Paul LOL

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Shou Yuing was alright. I would have been more interested to see how Ace would have got on with Rey. Man, that's a nice though Big Grin

Cornell is a horrible human being. What does sexuality have to do with intelligence? Same with gender. Where is his evidence for this anyway?

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The only good book he ever wrote was Human Nature. No Future sucks and Love and War introduces the dreaded Bernice Summerfield character which automatically makes it one of the worst Doctor Who books ever.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Shou Yuing was alright. I would have been more interested to see how Ace would have got on with Rey. Man, that's a nice though Big Grin

Cornell is a horrible human being. What does sexuality have to do with intelligence? Same with gender. Where is his evidence for this anyway?

Found this picture of them. Can't believe you don't think they'd be a better couple than Teegan and Nyssa.

Sophie Aldred Pens 13th Doctor Novel Featuring Ace Tumblr_inline_mk8j4iBcoY1qz4rgp

I agree though Ace and Rey would work for the same reasons as Ace and Shou Yuing.

Paul Cornell isn't basing it on anything. The way he talks about women reminds me of that bit in Family Guy when Brian is desperate not to look like a racist and goes on about "If I could take all the black people in the world and put them somewhere safe away from the white people I'd do it." Or something like that LOL.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

burrunjor wrote:Nah, Teegan's got too nasty a personality, whilst Nyssa is too much of a pushover. Nyssa would just be forced to go along with everything Teegan wanted which would make Nyssa worse. Just look at that awful video of them both slagging off JNT.

I didn't see anything wrong with what was said in that video.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:The only good book he ever wrote was Human Nature. No Future sucks and Love and War introduces the dreaded Bernice Summerfield character which automatically makes it one of the worst Doctor Who books ever.

Personally I think Human Nature was a lot of cliched horse shit. Its not as bad as RTD's even more moronic tv version mind you, but I think its overrated. I never got why Paul Cornell is held up as a great writer for DW. He's a twat who knows so little about the character its embarassing. Look at the bit in Father's Day when the 9th Doctor does a cringey little people speech about "I've never had an ordinary life". Could you imagine any of the previous Doctors doing that?

Added to that Paul Cornell helped champion the "all change is good" mantra which killed the show even more than the SJWs or anything else. He is one of the worst things to happen to the franchise and one of the great arseholes of sci fi.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:Shou Yuing was alright. I would have been more interested to see how Ace would have got on with Rey. Man, that's a nice though Big Grin

Found this picture of them. Can't believe you don't think they'd be a better couple than Teegan and Nyssa.

Sophie Aldred Pens 13th Doctor Novel Featuring Ace Tumblr_inline_mk8j4iBcoY1qz4rgp

I agree though Ace and Rey would work for the same reasons as Ace and Shou Yuing.

Paul Cornell isn't basing it on anything. The way he talks about women reminds me of that bit in Family Guy when Brian is desperate not to look like a racist and goes on about "If I could take all the black people in the world and put them somewhere safe away from the white people I'd do it." Or something like that LOL.

Shou Yuing certainly had a lot of spunk to her. I didn't say Tegan and Nyssa would make a better couple, I just personally think they would have made a nice couple too. The actresses themselves are total pillocks. The way they slagged off their previous employer for the amusement of the anti JNT brigade was truly loathsome. I know Sophie has said the odd thing about John over the years, but I've never seen her actively try and tarnish the man's legacy like Janet and Nyssa did.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

Shou Yuing certainly had a lot of spunk to her. I didn't say Tegan and Nyssa would make a better couple, I just personally think they would have made a nice couple too. The actresses themselves are total pillocks. The way they slagged off their previous employer for the amusement of the anti JNT brigade was truly loathsome. I know Sophie has said the odd thing about John over the years, but I've never seen her actively try and tarnish the man's legacy like Janet and Nyssa did.

Ah okay I was just kind of joking around anyway, didn't mean to sound genuinely aggressive Big Grin

Not that I don't think Ace and Shou wouldn't have been a good couple of course, they would. That should have been Ace's ending IMO. I don't like her becoming a Time Lord. It seems silly. Her getting a cute girlfriend and overcoming her past would have been better for me.

Maybe if Nick Briggs is watching we can get an Ace/Shou spin off for Big Finish.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum