SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Boofer
Bernard Marx
REDACTED
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Series 2 Empty Series 2 1st November 2019, 8:30 pm

REDACTED

Series 2 is arguably one of the most infamous series of the televised fanfiction series but what do you think of it?

2Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 8:49 pm

iank

iank

Utter, utter shit. Not just a complete betrayal of the central character and the series it was supposedly a continuation of - lols - but just plain unwatchable garbage TV to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 8:52 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Funny that you mention series 2- I recently re-watched School Reunion for the first time in years after burrunjor mentioned that series 2 wasn’t as bad as many assume. It was actually even worse than I remember, littered with infantile dialogue (“Correct-a-mundo!” “My Sarah Jane!”), pedestrian and cheap direction, a grindingly uncomfortable performance by Tennant (he really is awful here, coming across akin to a hyperactive teenager at the worst of times), and a retcon of Sarah’s character that just makes no bloody sense. I re-watched The Hand of Fear afterwards to affirm this, but Sarah leaves of her own accord- she isn’t dumped by him specifically, and nor did she ever engage in a “relationship” with him during the Hinchcliffe era as she herself alluded to in the story. It all comes across as a lousy piss take, and one that is frankly impossible to take seriously- RTD and the rest of the production team seemed incapable of refraining from including redundant and superficial soap opera mawkish melodrama bollocks during this era, and it grates so badly. It comes across as an attempt to revise the dynamic of Tom’s Doctor with Sarah in order to pander desperately to the mainstream and attract an audience who otherwise wouldn’t have given two fucks. Utter shite.

As for the season itself, it’s largely bollocks too. The only stories I can remotely enjoy are Tooth and Claw and The Impossible Planet two parter. The rest are just awful- New Earth is one of the most charmless and downright unfunny comedy episodes ever conceived, The Girl in the Fireplace character assassinates the Doctor via inducing Tennant’s lothario qualities and the ‘lonely God’ rubbish, Rise of the Cybermen and The Idiot’s Lantern are just plain dull, Love and Monsters is plain insulting in its characterisation and dialogue, Fear Her lacks anything commendable in terms of acting, direction and scriptwriting and comes across as one of the least imaginative stories of all time, and the finale is about as dull as the previous Cybermen story this season.

All in all, an utterly piss poor season on every level. I think it’s shockingly worse than series 7 as well, which may be considered an unpopular opinion.

4Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 8:53 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:Utter, utter shit. Not just a complete betrayal of the central character and the series it was supposedly a continuation of - lols - but just plain unwatchable garbage TV to boot.
Completely agree. It is truly fucking awful. God knows why much of fandom regards it highly- it’s just crap. At least series 1 was somewhat earnest and didn’t completely betray the core of the series, even if it was rather crap in its execution and paved the way for this rubbish.

Last edited by Bernard Marx on 1st November 2019, 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

5Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 8:56 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Dragonfire pisses over each and every episode.

6Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 8:57 pm

iank

iank

You'll get no argument from me.

7Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 9:02 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I don't even like Dragonfire that much. At least it resembles the proper series, though. The majority of Series 2 has more in common with cheap romantic  novels written by forty-year-old women who still think they're fourteen.

8Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 9:05 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I don't even like Dragonfire that much. At least it resembles the proper series, though. The majority of Series 2 has more in common with cheap romantic  novels written by a forty-year-old woman who still thinks she's fourteen.
Completely agree. As flawed as Dragonfire is, at least it doesn’t dismantle the core of the original series in order to appeal to a decidedly less inquiring audience.

Might I also add that McCoy’s era has aged much better than series 2? Even with much stronger production values, it looks shite, and is situated rigidly within the zeitgeist of the early to mid 2000s with no charm to accompany it.

9Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 9:11 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The direction is much better in the McCoy era. A lot of the direction in Series 2 is just so routine and dull. Remembrance was made nearly twenty years earlier and manages to feel bigger in scale because of the stylish direction and the well-staged action sequences compared to something like "Age of Steel."

10Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 9:27 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Pepsi Maxil wrote:The direction is much better in the McCoy era. A lot of the direction in Series 2 is just so routine and dull. Remembrance was made nearly twenty years earlier and manages to feel bigger in scale because of the stylish direction and the well-staged action sequences compared to something like "Age of Steel."
Completely agree- although I still can’t believe that Graeme Harper directed The Age of Steel. How did he go from Caves of Androzani and Revelation of the Daleks to that? Caved and Revelation are superbly directed, with many varied forms of shots and a use of depth of field coupled with handheld cameras as a means of enhancing the tension and grittiness of both stories. Both Age of Steel and Doomsday are largely shot with still cameras that lazily cut from one to the other with no variety and thus no atmosphere, creating a very static production on a much larger budget somehow.

11Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 9:29 pm

iank

iank

I can totally understand why Moffat ditched him, honestly. His glory days were long behind him.

12Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 1st November 2019, 10:36 pm

Boofer

Boofer

iank wrote:I can totally understand why Moffat ditched him, honestly. His glory days were long behind him.

Yeah, he'd become staid and mediocre.

13Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 2nd November 2019, 6:38 am

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Series 2 is a mixed bag for me. It has my favourite NewWho story in it (and is in my top 5 Who stories ever), and there are some episodes that I really do like, but the overall package is something that I'm not overly fond of.
New Earth is fucking garbage, and is a strong contender for worst Series opener. Dreadful performances from nearly everyone (I love Tennant and his acting, but he's still trying to find his feet, and the scenes when he acts possessed are easily his worst acting points when playing the Doctor), godawful 'comedy', already the Ten and Rose sections were agonisingly preachy and there's no form of tension or atmosphere. That said, I do like the last 5 minutes when The Doctor takes Cassandra to see her younger self, felt very nuanced.

Tooth and Claw is surprisingly underrated, and definitely a highlight in Series 2. This story (as well as Midnight) shows that RTD is much better when he's writing atmosphere and tension rather than soap drama, because this story oozes with gothic atmosphere. It's also just a visual treat, all of the camera work feels smooth and never aimless. Tennant brings a much better performance here than the last one and Pauline Colins is stunning as Queen Victoria. Love this one.

I do have some issues with School Reunion. For example, Sarah Jane pining for the Doctor (thankfully, this is much more reduced in her own show), Rose being at her fucking worst, the Krilitane Oil being a bad case of Deux-Ex Machina, and the idea that one social outcast kid is then suddenly praised by the whole school for blowing it up feels so out of left field. However, this episode is saved sorely on the basis of one excellent actor: Anthony Stewart Head. His performance is outstanding in this, and may be one of the single best performances in any Who story. In fact, his acting was so superb, especially against Tennant, that I actually now wanted him to be The Master for Tennant's era instead of John Simm.

The Girl In the Fireplace is not what I call an ideal Who story (I mean it makes the 10th look like a romantic which is not something that I wanted for the show), but there's many fun ideas in it. Tennant and Myles have fantastic chemistry (far better than the smugness of 10 and Rose), the set design is surprisingly gorgeous, and I like the idea of the time windows.

The Cybermen Two-parter I actually quite like, and it's one of two Cybermen stories that I can call good in NewWho. Perhaps the story copies the Big Finish story, Spare Parts, too much but I still found the Cybermen to be effective in power and in some ways creepy. Perhaps it's a bit overly violent (I mean, it looks like most of London is killed by the Cybermen), and there's too much focus on the soap antics, but at least the soap drama actually move the plot along with the sci-fi stuff unlike other scripts.

The Idiot's Lantern is one of the most by-the-numbers Who story that I've ever seen. Nothing sticks out. The characters are generic, there's far too much focus on Dutch angles (I loathe Dutch angles), it just feels boring and unmemorable to watch. One thing that I can say is that the 10 and Rose stuff is put at it's most agonising. Also Rose telling Tommy to forgive his abusive father should deserve far far far more scorn than it has.

I absolutely love The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. It's my favourite NewWho story and a story that I can put in my top 5 Who stories. The guest characters are the best and most memorable that Who has ever gotten, Murray Gold manages to bring in an abstract yet foreboding score compared to his other works, the atmosphere, set designs and even CGI are the best that NewWho has offered, The Beast is up there with the likes of Fenric, The Valeyard and Davros as best villain in the franchise. Hell, I don't even mind the 10 and Rose stuff because it carries the story forward, and is much more toned down and nuanced compared to other stories. It's an absolute shame, because this story just shows how NewWho has the potential to be magical, but because of RTD going in another direction, that potential feels less and less likely to come back.

Love and Monsters is shite yes, but unlike its next story, at least I can remember it being shite. The story's potential is thrown out when RTD decides to focus on Peter Kay's character upholding LINDA, instead of Elliot wanting to find the Doctor and make him answer for what happened for his mother to die. The Absorbaloff takes a spot for worst Who villain, I can't even enjoy him on a campy factor, he's just written so awfully (and it astounds me that Channel Pup was the creator of the monster, and doesn't think that it's that bad). 10 and Rose are written at their worst despite them being only in for 2 minutes. The direction feels cheap and unmemorable. However it's not the worst story in Series 2.

Fear Her is the worst story in Series 2 and possibly the worst Tennant story. The message of parental/child abuse is completely muddled and unclear, the idea of people being trapped in drawings is a fantastic idea that gets thrown away and it's potential is never thought about, the guest actors take the spot for worst Who performances (I know kid actors aren't usually great, but they are insufferable here), this may be the cheapest looking story in Who history, The Doctor lighting up the Olympic flame may take a spot in one of the worst moments to come out of Doctor Who.

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday has some mixed things (for example, I loathe the 'Who you gonna call' moment), but there's definitely great things to talk about. Unlike other RTD finales, I like that Doomsday isn't saved by an out of left field Deus Ex Machina, and actually builds on a satisfying resolution. The Daleks, despite being overpowered, are still as effective as they were in Series 1, the idea of a Timelord prison holding thousands of Daleks is actually interesting and I even like the departure when 10 and Rose are held against the walls in different universes. Kinda wish that was the actual departure, but Piper and Tennant's wonderful acting in the beach scene just about salvages it.

14Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 2nd November 2019, 8:10 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Series 2 is probably the most disappointing NuWho season. After a whole series of Eccelston and Piper's earthbound, soapy shenanigans, many fans assumed the following year would be a vast improvement.  We would finally see proper Who storytelling return, with genuine Sci-Fi adventures as of old, and that the girly/relationship/schmaltzy stuff would be far less prominent. I mean all those sub-Eastenders family drama elements in Series 1 were only there to ensnare the mainstream, modern telly viewer. Or so we thought.

Series 2 was diabolically bad - Tennant went from being funny and charming to utterly annoying and by the end of Series 2 I was sick of the sights of him.  RTD and DT made the Doctor far too down-to-Earth, relatable and ordinary - it's the timelord as boyfriend material, the cheeky, geeky, lovable boy next door who just happens to own a time machine. Piper became the most irritating of companion - like a bitchy, clingy spoilt brat of a girlfriend (see her at her worst when she's trying to compete with SJS in the 'School Reunion'). The two together are insufferably smug.

The very worst:

School Reunion
The Girl In The Fireplace
Rise of The Cybermen/Age Of Steel
The Idiot's Lantern
Fear Her
Doomsday

I don't mind the much-loathed 'Love & Monsters'  - it's the episode that features Tennant and Piper the least (even though it's essentially shite).

I think this was the season that actually set the template for the NuWho age - all the zany, wacky, lonely-God, loved-up nonsense really took hold in the 2006 series. It set (the very low) standard.

To sum up, Series 2 was truly awful - though a work of genius compared to Series 11.   How fucked up is that?

Last edited by Kaijuko on 2nd November 2019, 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

15Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 2nd November 2019, 8:20 am

iank

iank

Apparently the BBC brought the show back with the intention of having it fill the old "Lois and Clark" role, essentially "Rose and the Doctor". Those elements of series 1 weren't awkward, grafted on bits to be discarded as the series went on, they were the whole point of the show.
It certainly explains why series 2 seems inexplicably worse than series 1, and why the aspects of the first season that were clearly the worst things about it were suddenly even more prominent and highlighted. That was the show New Who was always intended to be.
Once you realise this, you can never see it in the same light. New Who is one of the biggest con tricks in showbiz.

16Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 2nd November 2019, 10:14 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Sorry but series 2 is still better than series 1.

There's more variety in terms of stories.

Series 1 has 6 episodes set on modern day earth and has aliens wanting to invade, 4 of those episodes also revolve around the Powell estate.

There are also three episodes set on satelite 5, and the year 5 billion story isn't that much different.

There's also 6 episodes with the same villains, 3 with the Slitheen, and 3 with the Daleks.

Also Eccelston is dreadful. He is totally uncomfortable in the role, is too old for Billie Piper, and his costume is totally unDoctorish.

Series 2 at least has more variety, Tennant whilst annoying at times, is at least more comfortable, and there are fewer pop culture references. The Satan Two Parter is better than any S1 episode.

Also the season 2 finale has more of a proper story and is less dated than the season 1 finale. The Anne Droid was just a total parody.

Love and Monster is shite, and probably worse than any episode of season 1 mind you, but overall S1 is the wweakest.

On my rewatch I am part way through season 6 now and I have to say it really hasn't held up. Its still better than season 1 or 2 of course, but dear god is it poor.

Such a shame as season 5 was better than I remember. There isn't an episode I dislike of season 5, apart from the Silurian two parter, but season 6 is Moffat at his most self indulgent.

Lets Kill Hitler almost plumbs the depths of series 2. The bit where River keeps trying to shoot him is like the bribed the architect moment from COFD.

17Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 2nd November 2019, 3:03 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I can remember at the time feeling a mixture of hope and dread about this new season. I hoped Tennant would be a return to a more traditional and eloquent Doctor, healed of war-damage. I hoped that if we were getting less RTD stories that could only be a good thing. I dreaded how bad the coming bitch-spat with Sarah and Rose would be.

I have to say that for the first half of the season I felt behind the excitement. Sure I grimaced through the nonsense of New Earth's miracle cure resolution and Rose's bitchiness, but for the most part I was involved in the thrills and the variety of adventure. Cybermen, Clockwork Robots, Werewolves, Krillatine, parallel universes.

But gradually things about it began to accumulatively sour the season for me. There was a certain element of almost cultish toxic sentimentality to Age of Steel that sat ill with me and soured my enjoyment of the two-parter, and it was there in the utterly ghastly Love & Monsters too. The Idiot's Lantern was the first time I considered just giving up and stopping watching altogether as I just loathed the leads completely in it. The Satan Pit for me felt like a disappointing pay-off somehow to a promising set-up, and frankly there were moments in Doomsday where Tennant's Doctor prancing about chirpily in his 3-D shades whilst a massacre was going on on the streets just felt tacky and sociopathic.

Again, I feel there could've been a good fun Doctor Who season in there if not for the philistine insistence of Russell T Fathead holding it back.

18Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 2nd November 2019, 6:26 pm

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

burrunjor wrote:Sorry but series 2 is still better than series 1.

You're probably right, but the truth is, I enjoyed Series 1 more than Series 2. Perhaps because it was brand new Who for the 21st century, or simply because I wanted to like it so much, I overlooked the shitty parts of the series.  And you're right, the terribly miscast Eccelston was awful in the role (even more annoyingly unsuitable than Tennant) but somehow I found the first series more fun to watch, more engaging.  Don't get me wrong, the 2005 series is absolute crap and was the start of everything we despise on here (and has dated badly) but alas, I liked it at the time. Mostly. By the time I'd watched School Reunion, I was already jaded with Year Two.

19Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 2nd November 2019, 7:49 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:Sorry but series 2 is still better than series 1.

You're taking the smeg, you filthy piece of distended rectum!

20Series 2 Empty Re: Series 2 3rd November 2019, 10:17 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bloody awful. No matter how awkward Eccleston is in the role, I'd take S1 over this pile of shite anyday. The Tennant and Piper pairing are utterly unbearable to me. The worst Doctor/companion relationship I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Cloying levels of sentimentality, and a smugness that is equally obnoxious. All topped off with that horrendous scene at the end featuring some of the worst acting I've ever seen on tv in any program ever.
The only story which comes anywhere near to reasonable is the Cybermen story, in which Tennant, apart from a few obligatory OTT  scenes, actually manages to be fairly restrained for quite a large portion of the story, instead of his usual utterly forced 'LOOK HOW ECCENTRIC I AM!!' acting that you usually get.
I remember how aghast I was at New Earth. And to think that even worst episodes were to come.
Tooth and Claw is one of the most overrated NuWho's ever. I don't get what people see in it. It's a 4/10 at best.
School Reunion... Poor Sarah... resurrected for this utter mush, and to have a handbags at dawn scene with Rose that just totally demeans everything about the Doctor/Companion role.
The Girl in the Fireplace - Give me a fucking break. This episode is best summed up with a picture:

Series 2 Latest?cb=20161127163838

Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel. See comments above. Best of the season with a whopping 6/10.
The Idiot's Lantern - One of the slightly better episodes. At least it has a smidgen of atmosphere to it. But still only average.
Impossible Planet/Satan Pit - So boring that I can barely remember anything about it. Such was its impact when it was first transmitted that I was inspired to go and wash the pots.
Love & Monsters - What Kaijuko said.
Fear Her - Utterly forgettable pish.
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday - Uninspired fanwank Terrible finale.

Yeah, basically RTD can shove this season back where he shat it out from.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum