Zarius
Rob Filth
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 22]

501Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 24th February 2020, 3:00 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

Yeah The Skull is a bit stretched out I agree, it might indeed have worked better in an anthology as a short. Mind you, anything with Sir Chris and St. Peter in it has at least some merit!
Glad you enjoyed Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires - it's a lot of fun really and doesn't outstay its welcome.
Hope you relish the splendour of AD 1972 - it works as a great double bill with its slightly different toned sequel Satanic Rites and Michael Coles' excellent Inspector Murray is the only actor in the same role to be in more than one Drac film in the series (apart from Lee & Cushing). The oft criticised period setting now has a charming early 70s mood that adds to its effect I think. And the Lee/Cushing dynamic packs a punch.

502Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 24th February 2020, 9:30 pm

iank

iank

I'm looking forward to it, when it gets here!
I've really enjoyed the Dracula franchise, quickly becoming one of my fave horror series actually!

Then I've still got Vampire Circus and the other two of the Karnstein trilogy to see (Lust is also on its way).

I like vampires. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

503Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 25th February 2020, 9:38 am

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

iank wrote:I'm looking forward to it, when it gets here!
I've really enjoyed the Dracula franchise, quickly becoming one of my fave horror series actually!

Then I've still got Vampire Circus and the other two of the Karnstein trilogy to see (Lust is also on its way).

I like vampires. Wink

Glad to encourage the Hammer devotees! Big Grin

Dracula AD 1972 is very much enlivened by the presence of Christopher (Shada) Neame as the Count's disciple and I reckon this film is much maligned by some critics: you've got Caroline Munro and Stephanie Beacham after all plus tons of energy, a great musical score and truly exciting full on battles between Lee & Cushing in the old classic style.

I reckon you'll enjoy the magnificent Vampire Circus too. Aside from a young and lovely Lalla (Romana) Ward being prominent, it's nicely creepy atmospherics make it one of Hammer's most impressive vampire adventures. The pre-credits sequence alone is like a little epic mini movie itself.

As for the Karnstein trilogy, my fave has still got to be the sexy Vampire Lovers (which is surprisingly faithful to Le Fanu as well as being graced by Ingrid Pitt at her very breast!) but most fans seem to prefer Twins of Evil which is certainly a rollicking vampire yarn with the Cush ever excellent as a sinisterly steely witch hunter. Lust for a Vampire with the impassive but rather stunning Yutte Stensgaard is less popular but I find it a guilty pleasure myself - yes even with that bloody "Strange Love" song that comes on at one point! It's a bit too tacky perhaps but there's some classic camp from Chris Lee wannabee Mike ("a heart attack!") Raven plus Ralph Bates is in fine form. Enjoy!

504Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 25th February 2020, 8:51 pm

iank

iank

I can believe AD72 is unjustly maligned after loving Satanic Rites and 7 Golden Vampires so!

Loved Vampire Lovers. Wink

505Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 28th February 2020, 9:19 pm

iank

iank

Asylum. A psychiatrist visits a mental asylum to interview for a job, and is asked to evaluate four patients, each of whom has a very disturbing story to tell. Robert Powell, Charlotte Rampling, Peter Cushing and Herbert Lom star in this creepy early 70s British horror anthology that I really enjoyed. This is by the best of the Amicus anthologies I've seen so far - Tales of the Crypt was middling, and neither Torture Garden nor Vault of Horror did anything for me at all - with all four stories being enjoyable (the Rampling one, despite being obvious, being my favourite). Very good. Big Grin

506Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 28th February 2020, 10:53 pm

stengos

stengos

iank wrote:Asylum. A psychiatrist visits a mental asylum to interview for a job, and is asked to evaluate four patients, each of whom has a very disturbing story to tell. Robert Powell, Charlotte Rampling, Peter Cushing and Herbert Lom star in this creepy early 70s British horror anthology that I really enjoyed. This is by the best of the Amicus anthologies I've seen so far - Tales of the Crypt was middling, and neither Torture Garden nor Vault of Horror did anything for me at all - with all four stories being enjoyable (the Rampling one, despite being obvious, being my favourite). Very good. Big Grin

I saw this years ago and several times. I thought it was brilliant and would love to see it again. At the time I thought Robert Powell would have made a great Doctor (Who).

Magee and Bayldon were brilliant as Dr Rutherford and Reynolds and I had the screaming hots for Sylvia Syms at the time.

507Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 29th February 2020, 7:54 am

iank

iank

Rampling was quite the dish back in the day too. Thought so when I saw her in that Avengers episode she's in too. Big Grin

508Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 29th February 2020, 10:12 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Rocky XVIII: This Is The Last Fight For Real This Time (2070)

The corpse of Rocky Balboa is resurrected in this slightly OTT sequel to a string of OTT sequels. A 124 year old Sylvester Stallone dives back into the role with ease and he faces off against Drago Mark II, a robotic version of the soviet fighter from Rocky IV. This is probably the most exciting installment since Rocky XI: I Swear This Is The Last Fight (2037)

4/5

509Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 6th March 2020, 9:01 pm

iank

iank

Dracula AD 1972. 100 years after being killed (again) by Van Helsing (again), Dracula (Christopher Lee) is resurrected (again) by a bunch of gullible youngsters looking for a thrill in early 70s (1970s!) London. The man manipulating the youths is their sinisterly-named "friend" Johnny Alucard (never trust a man whose last name is an anagram for Dracula). Fortunately for London, Van Helsing's grandson, Van Helsing, who just happens to look exactly like his grandfather (conveniently for Peter Cushing!) is on the scene, unaware that he and his grand-daughter (Stephanie Beacham, recast as Joanna Lumley in the next film) are already on the Count's hit-list. This early 70s Hammer thrusts the series into the (then) modern era, and works surprisingly well. Christopher Neame, who Doctor Who fans will recognise as the evil Skagra from the tom baker story Shada, works well as second-string villain Johnny, and the final showdown between Dracula and Van Helsing is the most intense and thrilling climax since the original. Though there are two more films after this in the series, this is actually the last I haven't seen, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I have almost all of these. Great fun. Big Grin

510Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 6th March 2020, 9:47 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I remember seeing the 1972 Dracula tale when I was growing up and thinking 'wow, Lee stuck with that role, didn't he?'But you can't beat early 70s for a fun setting and oddly it stays true to the spirit of the original Lee-Cushing movies.

511Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 14th March 2020, 11:06 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Zardoz (1974) - I found this used on DVD at a thrift store, picked it up because I thought it looked interesting and it was cheap. I wasn't expecting much, but this thing blew me away. Most stuff I watch with it on in the background while I do something else, but with this I was glued to the screen for the whole thing - you more experience this one that just watch it. Afterwards, I felt like I do after a particularly vivid dream, like part of me is still there even though it is over.

10/10 - this movie rules. I don't know how it was that I never heard of it before. You would think that there still wouldn't be really great stuff from the 70s that I didn't know about, but this along with The Omega Factor make two I've found in the past few months.

512Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 19th March 2020, 5:48 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I watched Last Blood for the first time since I saw it at the cinema. I was sad that the home media version of the film is the edited version that was released in UK cinemas instead of the extended cut some countries got. I still really like the film and consider it to be a much better conclusion to the series than Rambo (2008). I'll probably write a more in-depth review on the film when I get my new blog up and running.

513Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 21st March 2020, 9:12 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

514Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 21st March 2020, 9:31 pm

iank

iank

Fright. A young babysitter faces a night of terror when the homicidally deranged ex-husband of the woman she's working for chooses that night to escape from an asylum - and come home. Susan George stars in this surprisingly intense and gripping early 70s British psycho thriller co-starring Honor Blackman, Ian Bannen and a pre-Minder George Cole and Dennis Waterman (though they never actually appear onscreen together). Good stuff. 

515Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 21st March 2020, 11:03 pm

REDACTED

iank wrote:Dennis Waterman

Did he get to write and sing the feem tune for this one Ian? Wink

516Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 22nd March 2020, 2:52 am

iank

iank

That's the second time you've asked that. LOL

No, but he did get to have his brains bashed in. What a Face LOL

517Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 22nd March 2020, 4:01 am

Ludders

Ludders

Good film!
Fans of Susan George should also checkout the 1981 film, 'Venom'. Also featuring Klaus Kinski and Oliver Reed. Smile

518Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 3rd April 2020, 4:31 pm

REDACTED

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

Highly enjoyable 80s teen comedy with time travel backdrop. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are funny and likeable together and George Carlin is a hoot as always. Not a masterpiece of cinema but still an fun movie for all its faults. Worth watching for Reeves and Winter's chemistry. 4/5

519Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 8th April 2020, 12:18 pm

REDACTED

Superman 4: The Quest For Peace (1987)

This reviled 80s superhero sequel is another classic in the ''so bad, it's good'' tier alongside Jaws: The Revenge and The Karate Kid 3 where it seems that the crappiness of it is top tier entertainment. Even despite the bad acting and laughable plot, Christopher Reeve is still good and manages to make it better than it should be and Nuclear Man, as laughable as he is, is very entertaining to watch.

Critical level: 1.5/5
Enjoyment level: 4/5

520Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 8th April 2020, 12:21 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:Superman 4: The Quest For Peace (1987)

This reviled 80s superhero sequel is another classic in the ''so bad, it's good'' tier alongside Jaws: The Revenge and The Karate Kid 3 where it seems that the crappiness of it is top tier entertainment. Bad acting and laughable plot aside, Christopher Reeve is still good and manages to make it better than it should be and Nuclear Man, as laughable as he is, is very entertaining to watch.

Can't believe you didn't even mention THIS scene:

Films - Page 21 Vlcsna39

I'd give it an overall score of 3/5. A well meaning film which was sadly hacked to bits by the studio. Would you be interested in watching my extended cut of the film when I finish it?

521Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 8th April 2020, 12:37 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:

This reviled 80s superhero sequel is another classic in the ''so bad, it's good'' tier alongside Jaws: The Revenge and The Karate Kid 3 where it seems that the crappiness of it is top tier entertainment. Bad acting and laughable plot aside, Christopher Reeve is still good and manages to make it better than it should be and Nuclear Man, as laughable as he is, is very entertaining to watch.

Films - Page 21 Vlcsna39

I'd give it an overall score of 3/5. A well meaning film which was sadly hacked to bits by the studio. Would you be interested in watching my extended cut of the film when I finish it?

PHWOOAR!  Wink

It's still more watchable than the Cavill films which just fucking bore me to death, along with most other modern DC movies and gritty reboots which strip the fun and wonder out of most series.

As for your extended cut, If your actually serious about it, it'd be interesting. I usually find fan edits to be quite enjoyable and I actually worked on some with a friend many moons ago.

522Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 8th April 2020, 1:17 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:

Films - Page 21 Vlcsna39

PHWOOAR!  Wink

It's still more watchable than the Cavill films which just fucking bore me to death, along with most other modern DC movies and gritty reboots which strip the fun and wonder out of most series.

As for your extended cut, If your actually serious about it, it'd be interesting. I usually find fan edits to be quite enjoyable and I actually worked on some with a friend many moons ago.

Which fan edits did you do?

Lacy is such a wonderful character. She's definitely much better than Lois and actually gives the little guy the time of day as opposed to slobbering over the Godlike superhero. She's also very elegant and cute and I think Mariel (who I love a lot) does a good job. Nuclear Man obviously has a great taste in chicks.

Yes, I much prefer Superman IV to a lot of superhero movies today. Hell, I prefer it to a lot of movies today period. I feel that the theatrical cut is an enjoyable movie and has many things going in its favour. The music is very good and the action sequences are ambitious despite not being realised as intended because of budgetary constraints. The background flying plates are also the best in the series and were later reused in the Gremlins sequel.

The extended cut reinstates important scenes which explain the various continuity errors in the released version. I made the difficult decision not to include Clive Mantle's scenes as the first Nuclear Man. I wanted to, but not all of his scenes are included on DVD and the linking Metro Club scenes (which is referenced by Lacy in the movie but never brought up again) have never been released to the public. Again, Mariel looks so dreamy:

Films - Page 21 Legs10

The theatrical version also cut out many scenes involving Mark Pillow's Nuclear Man. There's a scene where he pretends to be a missile, sparking panic from both the US and USSR. Superman also uses Lacy as bate to lure Nuclear Man back to the Metropolis tower. This explains how Superman knows who Nuclear Man is talking about when he asks "where is the woman?"

The film was supposed to end with Superman taking Jeremy out into space as opposed to taking Lex back to the quarry. This scene is on YouTube:

The effects aren't finished and the music is not the music scored for the scene. I own the score so I have included the original scores pieces in all of the deleted scenes. I have also changed the order of various scenes back to their original place in the film. The scene where Nuclear Man bursts through the roof of Lacy's office is in the wrong place in the theatrical version. This scene was supposed to follow the scene where Nuclear Man buries Superman in the surface of the moon and returns to Earth:

This was cut because the prior scenes of Lacy being taken to Lex's hideaway were cut out.

I know, I know:

Films - Page 21 Simpsons-nerd-gif-4

523Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 8th April 2020, 2:13 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Which fan edits did you do?

Lacy is such a wonderful character. She's definitely much better than Lois and actually gives the little guy the time of day as opposed to slobbering over the Godlike superhero. She's also very elegant and cute and I think Mariel (who I love a lot) does a good job. Nuclear Man obviously has a great taste in chicks.

Yes, I much prefer Superman IV to a lot of superhero movies today. Hell, I prefer it to a lot of movies today period. I feel that the theatrical cut is an enjoyable movie and has many things going in its favour. The music is very good and the action sequences are ambitious despite not being realised as intended because of budgetary constraints. The background flying plates are also the best in the series and were later reused in the Gremlins sequel.

The extended cut reinstates important scenes which explain the various continuity errors. I made the difficult decision not to include Clive Mantle's scenes as the first Nuclear Man. I wanted to, but not all of his scenes are included on DVD and the linking Metro Club scenes (which is referenced by Lacy in the movie but never brought up again) have never been released to the public. Again, Mariel looks so dreamy:

Films - Page 21 Legs10

The theatrical version also cut out many scenes involving Mark Pillow's Nuclear Man. There's a scene where he pretends to be a missile, sparking panic from both the US and USSR. Superman also uses Lacy as bate to lure Nuclear Man back to the Metropolis tower. This explains how Superman knows who Nuclear Man is talking about when he asks "where is the woman?"

The film was supposed to end with Superman taking Jeremy out into space as opposed to taking Lex back to the quarry. This scene is on YouTube:

The effects aren't finished and the music is not the music scored for the scene. I own the score so I have included the original scores pieces in all of the deleted scenes. I have also changed the order of various scenes back to their original place in the film. The scene where Nuclear Man bursts through the roof of Lacy's office is in the wrong place in the theatrical version. This scene was supposed to follow the scene where Nuclear Man buries Superman in the surface of the moon and returns to Earth:

This was cut because the prior scenes of Lacy being taken to Lex's hideaway were cut out.

I know, I know:

I collaborated with a friend on fan edits of the first two Star Wars prequels and Die Another Day which were completed and we were working on an edit of Spiderman 3 which sadly fell through and never got finished and the other edits are missing at the minute. I'm not as interested in creating them nowadays but watching them and seeing different re-workings is always a novelty.

Your extended cut from the sounds of it sounds like a pretty solid start, if this is your first, and I hope it turns out good and if you ever plan on doing any more fan edits in the future, I might be interested in seeing them and giving feedback.

And yeah, Lacy is one of the hottest chicks in a comic book film, period.

524Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 8th April 2020, 5:14 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:

The extended cut reinstates important scenes which explain the various continuity errors. I made the difficult decision not to include Clive Mantle's scenes as the first Nuclear Man. I wanted to, but not all of his scenes are included on DVD and the linking Metro Club scenes (which is referenced by Lacy in the movie but never brought up again) have never been released to the public. Again, Mariel looks so dreamy:

Films - Page 21 Legs10

I know, I know:

I collaborated with a friend on fan edits of the first two Star Wars prequels and Die Another Day which were completed and we were working on an edit of Spiderman 3 which sadly fell through and never got finished and the other edits are missing at the minute. I'm not as interested in creating them nowadays but watching them and seeing different re-workings is always a novelty.

Your extended cut from the sounds of it sounds like a pretty solid start, if this is your first, and I hope it turns out good and if you ever plan on doing any more fan edits in the future, I might be interested in seeing them and giving feedback.

What sort of things did you do? Did you cut some material out or add deleted scenes? I can imagine The Phantom Menace being much shorter if I did an edit of it.

I thought about doing an extended cut of Superman IV back in 2013, but I just didn't have the editing skills or the patience to make it work. I wanted to do my own edit of Superman II a few years later using footage from both the Donner and Lester cuts to create a more coherent and satisfying version of the movie. It was not long into the planning stage when I realized that both cuts of the film were inherently flawed and no amount of editing could make it work for me. III is the only Reeve sequel that doesn't feel compromised in any way. You get the sense that Lester made the film he wanted to make.

I must say that my edit of Superman IV will be more of a rough cut rather than the definitive version. I have to make do with the workprint footage and try and weave those scenes into the film as best I can without them feeling like they've just been tacked on.

Indeed although I can't quite decide if I like her more than Pamela Stephenson in Superman III. Both are extremely cute.

525Films - Page 21 Empty Re: Films 8th April 2020, 5:50 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Indrid Mercury wrote:

Films - Page 21 Legs10

I know, I know:

What sort of things did you do? Did you cut some material out or add deleted scenes? I can imagine The Phantom Menace being much shorter if I did an edit of it.

I thought about doing an extended cut of Superman IV back in 2013, but I just didn't have the editing skills or the patience to make it work. I wanted to do my own edit of Superman II a few years later using footage from both the Donner and Lester cuts to create a more coherent and satisfying version of the movie. It was not long into the planning stage when I realized that both cuts of the film were inherently flawed and no amount of editing could make it work for me. III is the only Reeve sequel that doesn't feel compromised in any way. You get the sense that Lester made the film he wanted to make.

I must say that my edit of Superman IV will be more of a rough cut rather than the definitive version. I have to make do with the workprint footage and try and weave those scenes into the film as best I can without them feeling like they've just been tacked on.

Indeed although I can't quite decide if I like her more than Pamela Stephenson in Superman III. Both are extremely cute.

Basically for Phantom we tried to cut down the more tedious moments of exposition and politics and edited out a large chunk of moments with Jar Jar. Also trimmed some of the less important scenes with young Anakin. The final product was similar to Mike J Nichols The Phantom Edit from 2000 with some of the deleted scenes added to clean up the plot holes.

For Attack, that was a smaller job as the main thing with that was cut down the Anakin/Padme romance and make it less awkward and patchy as well as some of the other more objectionable moments and the odd Jar Jar scene.

They were far from perfect but we found making them enjoyable.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum