Rob Filth
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 22]

276Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 25th June 2019, 8:25 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Mercury wrote:Have you seen the 2010 remake just out of curiosity?

I remember watching it at the time and even then I wasn't impressed by it. I don't think I had seen the original by that point either. It never needed to be remade.

What they're doing now with the Cobra Kai series is the right way to resurrect a classic franchise. Absolutely brilliant stuff from start to finish.

277Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 27th June 2019, 11:28 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Boofer wrote:Young Ripe Melons 3.

Meh.

I preferred the first one with Avy Scott.

278Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 29th June 2019, 11:03 pm

iank

iank

Witness for the Prosecution. A somewhat ailing but still wily old barrister (Ralph Richardson) goes against his doctor's wishes to take on a new case involving a young man (Beau Bridges) accused of murdering a wealthy older widow for her money. This early 80s adaptation of the Agatha Christie play has a truly fantastic cast of British character actors including Michael Gough, Donald Pleasance, Diana Rigg, Peter Sallis and Richard Vernon, and is hugely enjoyable as a result. I have a very vague sense I may have seen this before, as the ending rang a vague bell, but it must be 30 years and I really couldn't remember it. A lot of fun. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

279Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 2nd July 2019, 3:20 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Saw this and it's great. Superman meets the Omen.

Apparently, they have plenty of ideas for sequels if this is successful enough (not sure it has been), Spoilers ahead: https://screenrant.com/brightburn-2-sequel-movie-release-date-story/

280Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 15th July 2019, 9:43 am

iank

iank

Annabelle Comes Home. Judy Warren's babysitter's best friend foolishly breaks into her parents' locked room of supernatural objects, and even more stupidly takes the notorious Annabelle out of her protected case. Well, that wasn't very bright now was it? The latest in the Conjuring movieverse has nice performances from the young actresses, and of course a nice period vibe, but basically no plot and a tone more reminiscent of the Goosebumps movie than the original films. This isn't terrible or anything, but this stuff is not even remotely close to being scary anymore. 

281Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 15th July 2019, 3:27 pm

REDACTED

iank wrote:Annabelle Comes Home. Judy Warren's babysitter's best friend foolishly breaks into her parents' locked room of supernatural objects, and even more stupidly takes the notorious Annabelle out of her protected case. Well, that wasn't very bright now was it? The latest in the Conjuring movieverse has nice performances from the young actresses, and of course a nice period vibe, but basically no plot and a tone more reminiscent of the Goosebumps movie than the original films. This isn't terrible or anything, but this stuff is not even remotely close to being scary anymore. 

IMO, I think The Conjuring series should have been left after the first as it has quickly become one of the biggest horror cash cow franchises today.

Speaking of killer dolls, have you heard about the Chucky reboot?

282Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 15th July 2019, 11:37 pm

iank

iank

Yeah. Not interested.

283Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 22nd July 2019, 9:32 am

iank

iank

Crawl. When a devastating hurricane hits their Florida neighbourhood, a young woman and her father find themselves trapped in their home by rising floodwaters - and some very angry and very hungry alligators that have come with them! Kaya Scoladerio (Or Effy from Skins, if you prefer) stars in this fairly mediocre monster movie that I ultimately found very underwhelming and uninvolving, despite a promising premise. Oh well, ho hum.

284Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 22nd July 2019, 12:13 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Howling II (1985)

Occult investigator Christopher Lee tracks the werewolf queen Striba (Sybil Danning) to Transylvania where he plans on destroying her with the help of Ben White, the brother of Karen White. Trashy MTV style fun with cool music and BOOBS!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/793f0d150d06586587ee178afd0fd95c/tumblr_ohp6bvGHFy1qc5dpuo6_500.gif

285Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 25th July 2019, 7:35 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Toy Story 4.

An unnecessary sequel that lacks the magic of the previous films.

286Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 25th July 2019, 8:10 pm

Doctor7

I did not even go to see it.

287Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 25th July 2019, 10:17 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Commander Maxil Gale wrote:Toy Story 4.

An unnecessary sequel that lacks the magic of the previous films.

I think the last 20 minutes are phenomenal, I was tearing up near the end. I even liked that the film still kept the ideas of Absurdism and whether people/toys can have meaningful lives, much like 1 and 2. That said, the first 80 minutes are mediocre, the rest of the gang don't get anything to do (you might as well call it Woody instead of Toy Story 4), and for some reason, Buzz is completely dumb in the film, which I don't get at all. Easily the weakest, which sucks because the first three films are phenomenal, it is my favourite trilogy of all time. And on its own, Toy Story 4 is decent, but compared to the first three, yeah, I would definitely call it an unnecessary addition. I would actually argue that The Incredibles 2 is a better sequel and film (that film gets too much hate), compared to Toy Story 4.

288Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 25th July 2019, 10:36 pm

REDACTED

Shaun Of The Dead.

A brilliant send up to zombie movies and the horror genre in general that's richly quotable, memorable and well written.

One of the shining spots of the 2000's.

289Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 28th July 2019, 8:55 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Mercury wrote:Shaun Of The Dead.

A brilliant send up to zombie movies and the horror genre in general that's richly quotable, memorable and well written.

Edgar Wright is my favourite director of all time, and Shaun of the Dead is one of my favourite movies ever. I don't think Edgar has ever done a bad film, even his weakest, Baby Driver, was still a great form of entertainment.

290Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 28th July 2019, 8:56 pm

REDACTED

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:
Mercury wrote:Shaun Of The Dead.

Edgar Wright is my favourite director of all time, and Shaun of the Dead is one of my favourite movies ever. I don't think Edgar has ever done a bad film, even his weakest, Baby Driver, was still a great form of entertainment.

I salute you for your good taste. Gonna get round to Hot Fuzz later.

291Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 2nd August 2019, 7:42 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I thoroughly enjoy Edgar’s Wright’s output as well, especially the Cornetto trilogy, though my favourite is probably Hot Fuzz, largely due to how air tight the script is whilst also being the most distinctly hilarious. I enjoy all three, granted, and agree that Baby Driver is his weakest film (some of the characterisation is weak, especially with Spacey’s character)- still a decent film, though.

292Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 10:56 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

The Blood Of a Poet (1932) by Jean Cocteau- the first of Cocteau’s ‘Orphic’ trilogy, and a surrealist and bizarre piece of French Language avant-garde cinema. At only 50 minutes in length and incredibly heavy on minimalist visual storytelling, this film is about as detached from modern Hollywood as one can get. All three films in the trilogy in some way reflect the polymath Orpheus in Ancient Greek religion (and by extension, Cocteau’s own polymathic nature as a poet, writer and filmmaker), though this is the most surreal instalment of the bunch, coming at the end of the first wave of avant-garde French cinema. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and the film itself is beautifully made and directed, though it is incredibly baffling on initial viewing due to its minimalist nature.

Brief Trivia: Cocteau’s Orphic trilogy had heavily influenced Steve Galligher’s script for the season 18 Who story ‘Warriors’ Gate.’

293Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 5:01 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Alita Battle Angel

A great film with a charming protagonist (she always gives me the warm fuzzys when she smiles), a gorgeous city design, creative fight sequences and great acting. The only issue that I have is that it is clearly a set up movie for the sequel, and also has a fair amount of exposition dialogue. But I'm definitely going to be buying the physical version of this, I'm eager for the sequel. 8/10

294Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 5:08 pm

REDACTED

Dumb And Dumber (1994)

An excellent, piss funny comedy that has Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels at their best with great performances from the other cast members and a lot of funny, quotable dialogue.

5/5

295Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 5:15 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Mercury wrote:Dumb And Dumber (1994)

An excellent, piss funny comedy that has Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels at their best with great performances from the other cast members and a lot of funny, quotable dialogue.

5/5

Yes, I like it a lot. Shame the sequel was so rubbish.

296Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 5:28 pm

REDACTED

Commander Maxil Gale wrote:

5/5

I haven't actually seen the sequel yet, hopefully its not as bad as that fucking awful prequel...

297Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 5:29 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Mercury wrote:

5/5

I haven't actually seen the sequel yet, hopefully its not as bad as that fucking awful prequel...

When Harry Met Lloyd LOL What a load of absolute shite.

298Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 5:30 pm

REDACTED

Mercury wrote:

5/5

When Harry Met Lloyd LOL What a load of absolute shite.

Bob Saget was the only saving grace of that shite.

299Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 4th August 2019, 11:07 pm

iank

iank

Star Trek: The Motion Picture. A mysterious energy wave devastates everything in its path and is headed on a collision course with Earth, with the newly refurbished (and untested) Enterprise the only thing standing in its way. The very first Star Trek film from 1979 has long been regarded as the black sheep of the franchise, being judged at the time to be far too slow and ponderous and lacking in action, though there has been some re-evaluation in recent years. I have vague childhood memories of finding it boring too, which is why despite having it on Blu ray for several years I only just got around to watching it last night, and had no idea what to expect.... and, to my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed it. No, it's not an action movie, but it is a slice of real cinematic SF with an interesting and compelling story, some stunning special effects (there's some dated/ropey stuff early on but all the stuff inside the energy wave looks bloody amazing even 40 years on), the cast, particularly good old William Shatner, are all on point, and with a running time of 2 hrs 15 my attention never wavered. Unexpectedly terrific. Smile

300Films - Page 12 Empty Re: Films 9th August 2019, 11:29 pm

iank

iank

Terror Train. A group of med students head off on a train for an end of year party, unaware that an unbalanced former classmate is also on board - and intent on bloody revenge. Jamie Lee Curtis, Ben Johnson and Hart Bochner star in this early 80s slasher horror that's somewhat classier than many from this period, well made and well acted. The train setting is unusual for this sort of film and works well with its claustrophobic environment, as does the snowy winter atmosphere and an emphasis on suspense over blood and gore. This is an underrated and effective little chiller, with a very neat twist toward the end. I like it.  Cool

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum