Rate ‘The Crusade’ I_vote_lcap0%Rate ‘The Crusade’ I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 3:31 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

This story seems rather ignored by fandom, or at least rarely gets discussed. I personally think it’s an outright classic, and possibly the best historical story, with some superlative direction from Douglas Camfield, superb performances and a genuine grittiness appropriate for the period setting and zeitgeist. Or at least, that’s what I think based on episodes 1 and 3.

2Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 3:46 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Average.
But then I'm not much of a fan the historicals. The obvious exception being The Aztecs. (Oh and The Massacre is reasonable)
There are a couple of good performances from Glover and Marsh, but I struggle to maintain interest in it. Although it is one of the slightly better historicals compared to the pure tedium of The Highlanders or the Myth Makers, or The Smugglers, which is why I elevated it all the way up to average. ;-)

3Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 3:49 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:Average.
But then I'm not much of a fan the historicals. The obvious exception being The Aztecs. (Oh and The Massacre is reasonable)
There are a couple of good performances from Glover and Marsh, but I struggle to maintain interest in it. Although it is one of the slightly better historicals compared to the pure tedium of The Highlanders or the Myth Makers, or The Smugglers, which is why I elevated it all the way up to average. ;-)
Here’s the bizzare thing- I’m typically a fan of the historicals, but have always found The Aztecs quite staid and overrated myself, barring the occasional very good scene. I guess I’m insane. LOL

4Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 3:51 pm

Ludders

Ludders

😂
No not at all.
It would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.

5Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 4:30 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ronnie wrote:it is one of the slightly better historicals compared to the pure tedium of The Highlanders or the Myth Makers, or The Smugglers

What is actually wrong with you? The Myth Makers shits all over your precious Seventies drivel LOL

6Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 4:33 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Commander Maxil wrote:
Ronnie wrote:it is one of the slightly better historicals compared to the pure tedium of The Highlanders or the Myth Makers, or The Smugglers

What is actually wrong with you? The Myth Makers OWNS your precious Seventies drivel LOL
Agreed about The Myth Makers being great, but what’s up with the 70s hate? LOL

7Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 4:35 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:

What is actually wrong with you? The Myth Makers OWNS your precious Seventies drivel LOL

I don't hate the 70s as a decade. I love ABBA, the Moore Bond films, Blake's 7, Rocky, Donner's Superman, Jaws and the wonderful Willy Wonka film starring Gene Wilder. 70s Who itself has never done a thing for me except the later Williams stuff. I just find a lot of it to be rather crap.

8Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 4:37 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Commander Maxil wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:

I don't hate the 70s as a decade. I love ABBA, the Moore Bond films, Blake's 7, Rocky, Donner's Superman, Jaws and the wonderful Willy Wonka film starring Gene Wilder. 70s Who itself has never done a thing for me except the later Williams stuff.
Ah- that makes a little more sense. Because I really love the 70s as a decade, but rate 70s Who below 60s Who. Though we differ in that I like 70s Who as well.

9Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 4:41 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

It was a fairly decent decade. I like the 60s, 80s and 90s a lot more, though.

10Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 5:10 pm

stengos

stengos

Pretty damn good.

Brilliant performances and interesting story line.

The David Whitaker novelisation is very good too.

11Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 10:28 pm

iank

iank

Excellent from what's left.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

12Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 27th August 2019, 11:29 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Commander Maxil wrote:

What is actually wrong with you? The Myth Makers shits all over your precious Seventies drivel LOL

Seventies drivel? You must be referring to S17 which is not very precious to me at all.
But what's with saying 'actually' like that? You'll be telling me you watch 'Friends' next. (with your cock out to Jennifer Aniston's nose, probably). Wink
Talking of tedious lightweight historicals, let's add The Romans to the list.  Big Grin

13Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 28th August 2019, 8:43 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ronnie wrote:
Talking of tedious lightweight historicals, let's add The Romans to the list.  Big Grin

Oh no you didn't!

Rate ‘The Crusade’ Tenor_11

14Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 28th August 2019, 8:50 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Commander Maxil wrote:
Ronnie wrote:

Oh no you didn't!

Rate ‘The Crusade’ Tenor_11

Yeah, I like The Romans too, though I guess it is an acquired taste (as with basically all the historical stories). Hartnell is wonderful in it, and the parodic nature of the story makes it all the more unique and endearing amongst the historical Who genre.

15Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 28th August 2019, 10:30 am

Ludders

Ludders

Well it's not quite as tedious as Reign of Terror, I'll give you that much. Wink

16Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 28th August 2019, 9:08 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Ronnie wrote:
It would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.

Oh no, it wouldn't!

17Rate ‘The Crusade’ Empty Re: Rate ‘The Crusade’ 2nd September 2019, 10:44 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:

Agreed about The Myth Makers being great.

It really is fab. I'd argue The Myth Makers is the absolute pinnacle of the Hartnell era. The script by Donald Cotton is utterly delightful and incredibly witty. It saddens me that I'll probably never see it. At least we've got the novel, audio and production stills.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum