Rawkuss
REDACTED
stengos
Tanmann
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 11th October 2019, 11:08 pm

iank

iank

I've gone and bought the season 23 blu ray lol. I wasn't sure I was going to, but I managed to get it for just $40 off eBay, which is a pretty cheap price considering (it's not out here officially until December, and is about $80).

I'm just really curious for the 'new' Vervoids... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

27Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th October 2019, 12:22 pm

Ludders

Ludders

You managed to get one for about the price it’s worth. Well, just a tad on the expensive side, but hey... Maybe there are some new extras on it too.

28Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th October 2019, 2:43 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I originally stated that I wouldn’t be getting this, but find myself tempted now due to the new version of Vervoids, the re-scoring of Hartley’s Mindwarp soundtrack, and the seemingly staggering number of extras (which were already impressive on the DVD release). Or maybe I’m just compelled to see more newly released content related to TruWho right now- I suppose it’ll happen after being exposed to so much NuWho shite. Mind, I’m quite short on money at the moment, so whether I’ll get it prior to the point where only used copies are available is unknown as of now.

29Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th October 2019, 10:45 pm

iank

iank

I may change my mind about the classic Blu rays in general. I saw Castrovalva last night, the first time I've really watched anything from the 19 blu ray set I got for Xmas, and it did look pretty good.
I suppose, like Bernard, it depends whether my current improved finances keep up for the duration!

30Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th October 2019, 10:56 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ve adopted a similar attitude concerning the Blu Rays. The location filming is very good indeed, and the frame-rate seems improved too, albeit not jarringly so. I warmed to Castrovalva earlier this year too, and really enjoy episode 3 in particular. The scene where Davison’s Doctor is briefly shown how to count again is a wonderfully understated moment, brilliantly played by Davo himself, and the Escher inspired influences are much appreciated. The first half’s quite dull, but it picks up, and there are some nice moments littered throughout. I used to prefer Logopolis to it, but I’ve completely reversed that stance of late.

31Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th October 2019, 11:10 pm

iank

iank

The pacing is really weird (Bidmead all over) but I agree, I like it more than Logopolis or Traken.

32Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 14th October 2019, 7:06 pm

Arthur Stengos

Arthur Stengos

Bernard Marx wrote:I originally stated that I wouldn’t be getting this, but find myself tempted now due to the new version of Vervoids, the re-scoring of Hartley’s Mindwarp soundtrack, and the seemingly staggering number of extras (which were already impressive on the DVD release). Or maybe I’m just compelled to see more newly released content related to TruWho right now- I suppose it’ll happen after being exposed to so much NuWho shite. Mind, I’m quite short on money at the moment, so whether I’ll get it prior to the point where only used copies are available is unknown as of now.

A little warning about Richard Hartley’s re-recorded Mindwarp score. It’s not as good as the 1986 original score. Don’t get me wrong some of the sounds are really close to the original but some sounds like the cinematic orchestra pad sound has been replaced by a weak cello which sounds off on the music and not as cinematic or atmospheric.

There are other atmospheric sounds from the original score that are absent on the re-recorded version but it doesn’t surprise me as Richard Hartley gave away most of his vintage synths and equipment just a couple of years before being commissioned to re-record his Mindwarp score for the Blu-ray release.

It’s strange, since the re-recorded score is a lot thinner sounding I don’t enjoy Mindwarp much as I used to.

33Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 30th October 2019, 8:42 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

34Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 30th October 2019, 9:48 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

ClockworkOcean wrote:

That is fucking 'orrible. Bastardised NuWho style crap.

35Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 30th October 2019, 9:49 pm

iank

iank

It works pretty well on the Vervoids SE, tbh. I always found it a shame they didn't give Colin a more unique title sequence instead of just reusing the Davison one.

36Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 31st October 2019, 8:50 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Looks no different from fan versions you see on YouTube.

37Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 11th November 2019, 8:49 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Apparently it's been pushed back to January 20th

38Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 11th November 2019, 8:51 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Zarius wrote:Apparently it's been pushed back to January 20th
Are you referring to the season 26 set? This one’s already out.

Edit: Just checked Amazon, and it does seem to have been pushed back indeed.

39Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 11th November 2019, 9:06 pm

iank

iank

What a shock. Rolling Eyes Big Grin

40Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th November 2019, 6:23 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Truth be spoken the changes are more off-putting to me than convincing. Fixing up the picture and sound quality is one thing. I didn't realise they were actively changing things.

They can probably be turned off, but I still don't see it as much of an upgrade from the DVDs.

41Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th November 2019, 8:32 pm

iank

iank

Do you mean the FX? They're only an option.

42Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 12th November 2019, 9:44 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I was really looking forward to getting that for Christmas.

43Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 13th November 2019, 8:18 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

iank wrote:Do you mean the FX? They're only an option.

Yes, fair enough. Though it doesn't seem like much added value, I don't think I ever used the new FX options or alternative cuts on the DVDs.

How are the new special features etc.?

44Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Season 23 is coming to Blu-Ray. 14th November 2019, 8:25 am

iank

iank

I don't really know. The only thing I've watched from it was the recut, Trial-free Vervoids. Which was really fun.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum