You are not connected. Please login or register

The Issue With The Time War

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Issue With The Time War Empty The Issue With The Time War 12th October 2018, 5:33 pm

Jonzu77

Jonzu77

These are just my opinion. If you disagree, to each their own. Please forgive any errors as English is not my first language.

The Time War was a great idea at the start. It refreshed the mystery behind the Doctor's past and added a new layer of depth to his character. What was the Time War? What was the Doctor's role in it? Questions like this kept the "Who?" In Doctor Who. But Moffat diminished all of that by showing thw war. Thus taking away the mystery behind it. This huge unimaginable war is shown to be a Star Wars-esque battle that pretty much anyone can imagine and it's quite disappointing . Some things are more effective if they are not shown.

2The Issue With The Time War Empty Re: The Issue With The Time War 12th October 2018, 9:18 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Jonzu77 wrote:These are just my opinion. If you disagree, to each their own.  Please forgive any errors as English is not my first language.

You only had one typo mate, you're off to a good start Big Grin

As for the time war, I liked what we saw of it, and it was only the "last day", all the other marvels we never saw remain etched in our imaginations

Unfortunatly, Big Finish opts never to focus on anything mentioned in "The End of Time", at least to my knowledge, and just focus on giving Briggs a steady income as a Dalek voice.

3The Issue With The Time War Empty Re: The Issue With The Time War 13th October 2018, 4:02 am

Boofer

Boofer

Zarius is Scottish so English isn't his first language either. Wink

4The Issue With The Time War Empty Re: The Issue With The Time War 13th October 2018, 9:54 am

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

I haven't paid attention to NuWho for a long while, and I honestly cannot recall where this plot element ended up.

I figure that the Time War was, at first, intended as a way to distance the old from the new: giving RTD more freedom and muddying the continuity. Series 1 feels as a limbo between a continuation and a remake, Superman Returns-esque. I prefer this in retrospect, it makes it much easier to enjoy the new series without its corrupting the past.

Eventually, to my memory, they began to undo this - gradually bringing more and more elements over the 'Time War boundary' until it ceased to be, in its original purpose. That, and the changes became more egregious, the politics more infused, the past simultaneously being drawn in acknowledgement as it was misunderstood and changed and ruined.

They should have stuck with it.

5The Issue With The Time War Empty Re: The Issue With The Time War 13th October 2018, 10:49 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

I agree with Tiberius that the Time War works better if New Who is a remake, but even then I disagree that the Time War was an attempt to bring back the mystery of the character.

IMO it was an attempt to turn the Doctor into a 90s anti hero.

We know that RTD was very closely inspired by American genre series like Xena and Buffy and Angel.

The Doctor/Rose relationship was clearly inspired by the Xena/Gabrielle, and Angel/Buffy romances beat for beat.

Xena is someone who has lived a long while, who has done horrible, horrible things, and has this big mysterious past, which gradually unfolds over the course of the series. Gabrielle is this young little blonde, who makes Xena a better person, and joins her because she is bored of her life with her family, and Gabrielle often holds Xena back from doing bad things.

Angel meanwhile is a 200 year old Vampire who has done horrible, horrible things, and we see his big, mysterious past unfolding, and he falls in love with Buffy, a young blonde, everyday woman with an awkward relationship with her mum.

Gee where have we heard that before?

Also Angel and Xena are very dour, brooding, sarcastic and their companions worry about them being evil.

The 9th Doctor is just an expy of Xena and Angel. Now to be fair, other Doctors take inspiration from other characters, but it was never to the point where they actually changed the core character of the Doctor.

Jon Pertwee for instance had gadgets, cars and fought with Bondesque badguys, but he didn't shag dozens of women like Bond.

With Eccelston however they actually gave him a Gabrielle and Buffy style romance and it was so ill fitting and showed that Russell would rather have done a show like that than Classic Who.

I'm not knocking Angel and Xena BTW. They are just very different characters the Doctor. Indeed I'd say they are the opposite, over emotional, sexy, romantic characters, who are involved in big tragic romances.

The Doctor is an asexual, level headed, wise, practical character who is devoted to his work above all else.

6The Issue With The Time War Empty Re: The Issue With The Time War 13th October 2018, 12:51 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Boofer wrote:Zarius is Scottish so English isn't his first language either. Wink

Fook Aff Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum