Pepsi Maxil
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Davison era Empty The Davison era 30th September 2018, 3:06 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

His era was one of my absolute favourite periods of the show. Kinda, The Visitation, Black Orchid, Earthshock, Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, The Five Doctors, Frontios, Resurrection of the Daleks and The Caves of Androzani are all classics in my opinion. He also has a few criminally underrated tales I really liked such as Snakedance and Warriors of The Deep.

I'd say Season 19 is his best season followed very closely by Season 21. I liked Season 20 but Terminus and The King's Demons drag it down a bit. Mawdryn and Enlightenment are magic though.

I really liked Davison's portrayal. Some argue he didn't find his feet until his final year but I personally accepted him as the Doctor as early on as Kinda. His companions were a mixed bag with Turlough and Nyssa being the most interesting of the bunch. I really wish Nyssa had stayed on a lot longer.

The music was often phenomenal. Malcolm Clarke and Paddy Kingsland were two composers that really knew how to create tension and atmosphere, something I didn't feel Dudley Simpson did quite so well during the 1970s.

I must stress that this is a really fun and underrated era of Doctor Who that doesn't seem to get as much appreciation as I feel it deserves.

2The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 2nd October 2018, 8:03 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Probably the era, next to Sylvs', that informed my creativity the most.

3The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 3rd October 2018, 1:58 am

iank

iank

I'm not a big fan tbh. I mean, it's alright but its certainly not up there with my favourite periods.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 3rd October 2018, 7:55 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I find that along with s18 (ie as soon as JNT took over) the Davison era was Dr Who at its most austere, which stands in complete contrast to Nu Who - a good thing. Caves remains an absolute classic in my book, the show's high watermark. Earthshock is equally well-directed and dramatic, and I even have a soft spot for its quirkier moments like Four To Doomsday and Black Orchid. I also like The Five Doctors, a celebratory story done properly and with Anthony Ainley is at his best.

Not a fan of much of The Master's other stuff though, I think Castrovalva could have been better without the "my web!!!" scene, and despite Ainley's versatility at times the actor isn't always well-served by having to portray a cross between late-era Chief Inspector Clouseau (in his disguises) and Dick Dastardly.

5The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 3rd October 2018, 8:31 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I'd say that the Davison era is a good solid era of DW. Its not one of the absolute best however.

The Williams era for instance is a bit more experimental with the fusion of some humour, and the first long story arc, the Hinchcliff era is more bold and dark, the Pertwee era has a stronger supporting cast, and the Hartnell era is the show at its most imaginative.

Davison's era is just kind of "Doctor Who" on auto pilot, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'd take that over something that tries to be new and fucks it all up.

Davison's time produced a lot of excellent stories, like Resurrection, Earthshock, Caves, Five Doctors, The Awakening, Planet of Fire, Mawdryn Undead, the villains were great, with Molloy being a worthy successor as Davros, and Ainley being a great Master, and David Banks owning the role of the Cyber Leader. The companions were also all fairly likable.

I'm going to be controversial and say Adric wasn't that bad. His story arc was really quite tragic. He never fitted in anywhere and just when he was about too, he died horribly, and it was completely pointless.

Peter was a good Doctor too. I'd say that he is the most unusual casting of the original series. IMO the Doctor should be played by a more unusual, quirky character actor who couldn't really be the lead in any other series.

Peter was very much a conventional leading man, and he wasn't really naturally eccentric, and his younger appearance meant that his casting could have been a disaster, but fortunately he and JNT had a good understanding of the character and played it really well.

My only objection as that Peter was a bit too ineffective at times. I get wanting to make him weaker after Tom became too invincible, but they went a bit too far in stories like Warriors.

Overall a good era and better than most of New Who.

6The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 3rd October 2018, 8:41 pm

Mott1

Mott1

burrunjor wrote:I'd say that the Davison era is a good solid era of DW. Its not one of the absolute best however.

The Williams era for instance is a bit more experimental with the fusion of some humour, and the first long story arc, the Hinchcliff era is more bold and dark, the Pertwee era has a stronger supporting cast, and the Hartnell era is the show at its most imaginative.

Davison's era is just kind of "Doctor Who" on auto pilot, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'd take that over something that tries to be new and fucks it all up.

Davison's time produced a lot of excellent stories, like Resurrection, Earthshock, Caves, Five Doctors, The Awakening, Planet of Fire, Mawdryn Undead, the villains were great, with Molloy being a worthy successor as Davros, and Ainley being a great Master, and David Banks owning the role of the Cyber Leader. The companions were also all fairly likable.

I'm going to be controversial and say Adric wasn't that bad. His story arc was really quite tragic. He never fitted in anywhere and just when he was about too, he died horribly, and it was completely pointless.

Peter was a good Doctor too. I'd say that he is the most unusual casting of the original series. IMO the Doctor should be played by a more unusual, quirky character actor who couldn't really be the lead in any other series.

Peter was very much a conventional leading man, and he wasn't really naturally eccentric, and his younger appearance meant that his casting could have been a disaster, but fortunately he and JNT had a good understanding of the character and played it really well.

My only objection as that Peter was a bit too ineffective at times. I get wanting to make him weaker after Tom became too invincible, but they went a bit too far in stories like Warriors.

Overall a good era and better than most of New Who.

I forgot about Mawdryn Undead. Great timeline story, fine performances from Nick Courtney and David Collings - perhaps my favourite Dr Who supporting actor.

You find Tegan likeable!?

7The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 3rd October 2018, 10:16 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I forgot about Mawdryn Undead. Great timeline story, fine performances from Nick Courtney and David Collings - perhaps my favourite Dr Who supporting actor.

You find Tegan likeable!?

LOL yeah I slipped up there. TBF I shouldn't let the fact that the actress is a cunt completely detract from the show.

8The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 20th May 2019, 5:42 pm

Doctor7

I really loved Peter Davison as the fifth doctor. He was charming,sporty loved cricket compassionate,heroic I love celery so i liked his celery on his lapel. I really liked his era of the show castravalva,kinda,earthshock,arc of infinity,mawdryn undead,eblightenment,five doctors ,resurrection of the daleks,caves of androzani,I liked his companions a lot particularly Nyssa and tegan. Peri. i always see as more the sixth doctors companion.he had great chemistry with Anthony Ainley the Master I loved their scenes together.castravalva,9.6 out of 10 I love this story the music the mc Escher inspired ,four to doomsday is a bit slower I give it a 7.0 but i love the cricket ball scene. Kinda 9.8 out of 10 a classic story I found the mara snake very interesting and controlling Tegan.Visitation the death of the sonic screwdriver,. I will give this one a 7.9 out of 10. Black orchid I loved the cricket scenes with the fifth doctor a solid 8 out of 10 set in the nineteen twenties.

9The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 20th May 2019, 6:42 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Sadly for me, Peter Davison was a could've-been-great Doctor, who unfortunately largely got stuck with playing a clueless, unfit for purpose version of the Doctor (like an avatar for the JNT/Saward production team itself).

Ironically I think Season 19's probably his strongest, most badass run.

10The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 20th May 2019, 7:09 pm

Doctor7

Earthshock i loved Earthshock loved the eighties style cybermen and the surprise death of Adric handled so well 9.7 out of 10.time flight is just ok a 6.9 out of 10.arc of infinity I loved peter playing both omega and the doctor,colin baker makes his first appearance as Maxil the chancellery guard captain a 8 .4out of 10.

11The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 21st May 2019, 1:11 am

Doctor7

Snakedance a decent sequel to kinda a 7.8 out of 10.mawdryn undead I love this story the return of the Brigadier who forgets who the doctor is but helps him remember mawdryn is a interesting character. The black guardian wants new character and companion turlough to kill the Doctor a 8.5 out of 10.

12The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 21st May 2019, 1:29 am

Doctor7

Terminus the episode that sees Nyssa depart as a companion about a disease and Nyssa decides to stay and help a 8.0 out of 10.enlightenment i love this story it has pirates in it. The reappearance of the white guardian in it as well and the interesting characters the eternals a 9 out of 10.

13The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 21st May 2019, 1:30 am

Doctor7

Kings demons I like this story a lot not a popular one about the magna carter and the master is in it and robot kamelion who can change his appearance. 8.3 out of 10.

14The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 21st May 2019, 1:33 am

Doctor7

The five doctors a personal favorite story of mine I love the death zone the way it looks and Richard hurndall does a brilliant job as the first doctor .pat troughton is back like he never left as the doctor so is Jon pertwee. Tom baker appears via footage from shada. Nicholas Courtney and Elisebeth sladen as Sarah Jane. Peter Davison has amazing chemistry with all the previous doctors. A 10 out of 10 for me.

15The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 21st May 2019, 1:42 am

Doctor7

Warriors of the deep I like this one more then other people probably great to see the sea devils and silurians back. Too bad all the people and sea devils die a sad ending a 7.9 out of 10. The awakening to me this episode is too short it worked for kings demons but this one not as much a 6.8 out of 10.

16The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 21st May 2019, 3:24 am

Doctor7

Frontios was good i liked the tractators they were interesting insectoid aliens a 8 out of 10. Resurrection of The Daleks I love this story I love the terry molloy Davros,the only quibble is the last scene for tegan no hug goodbye. The violence was too much for her character a 8.6 out of 10.

17The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 21st May 2019, 3:30 am

Doctor7

Planet of fire first appearance of peri was good . she does a good American accent. Final appearance of Turlough and kamelion. The master appears to burn in flames a 8 out of 10. Caves of androzani I love this story a classic great direction ,acting sharaz be is a great character. Great final story for peter davison 10 out of 10.

18The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 27th May 2019, 9:40 pm

REDACTED

Although its far from my favorite era of Classic Who, we still get quite a lot of fun stories such as

Castrovalva
The Visitation
Black Orchid
Earthshock
Snakedance
Mawdryn Undead
Enlightenment
The Five Doctors
The Awakening
Frontios
Planet Of Fire
Caves Of Androzani (duh!)

19The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 28th May 2019, 3:59 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tegan was pretty smashable. There's a video online where she gets her tits out but it's in low quality. Still busted one, though.

The Davison era Fieldi10

The Davison era Fieldi12

The Davison era Tegan510

20The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 28th May 2019, 6:37 pm

Doctor7

Wow yeah she looks amazing.

21The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 28th May 2019, 9:12 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Too androgynous for me.

22The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 28th May 2019, 9:52 pm

Doctor7

Really she looks pretty feminine to me

23The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 28th May 2019, 10:39 pm

iank

iank

Yeah, I'm with Boofer on this. Never found her remotely appealing.

24The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 28th May 2019, 10:44 pm

Doctor7

How about Nyssa or Ace or Amy iank did you find them attractive?

25The Davison era Empty Re: The Davison era 28th May 2019, 10:45 pm

iank

iank

Absolutely. Both cuties. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum