You are not connected. Please login or register

Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding Empty Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding 10th September 2018, 8:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

How I wish he was still around today. Now we've got a Michael Grade sympathizer in charge.

2Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding Empty Re: Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding 10th September 2018, 10:01 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

The whole concept of Classic Who having 'gone downhill' after some arbitrary point is a circle-jerk synthesis of truth. I can see why some might have distain for certain episodes - though I would defend them - yet computing those, the series was pretty consistent throughout.

Where are people suggesting the incline?

RTD, I believe, put it at Horror of Fang Rock (Season 15, Serial 1). Wait, what about Image of the Fendahl? The Sun Makers? In what world are those bad stories?

Then you have the Key to Time, Season 16. They ran out of money in the end, but 2/3rds of it is among the best. The Ribos Operation, the Pirate Planet, the Stones of Blood, the Androids of Tara.

Season 17 had a lot of problems - love it though I do - but you have City of Death and Romana, it isn't exactly bad television.

Season 18 might have alienated some in the start, but most of it is excellent. State of Decay, Warrior's Gate, Keeper of Traken, Logopolis.

Season 19 is doubtless good television. Aside from Time-Flight I don't see this as debatable.

Season 20 was a little messy, but not bad at all. Snakedance, Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, the Five Doctors.

Season 21 is popular choice for decline, with Warriors from the Deep and the Twin Dilemma bookmarking the Season, but then you have Frontios, Resurrection of the Daleks and Caves of Androzani.

Season 22, 'Colin Baker' is a fashionable dis and this Season as a whole is rather unloved. In truth, none of the stories were too bad and you have Vengeance on Varos, the Two Doctors and Revelation of the Daleks.

Season 23, when the show was given a de facto death sentence. It was fine.

Season 24 was really the last good contender. None of the stories are perhaps classics, but they were interesting, imaginative, and quite well-written.

Season 25 was good. Remembrance of the Daleks and the Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

Season 26 was excellent, one of the best. Some people don't like Battlefield, but then there's Ghostlight, Curse of Fenric and Survival.

So ... hmm, where's the decline? There were some 'weaker' seasons followed by great seasons and brilliant stories. Even in those 'weaker' Seasons there were a lot of good ideas, inspired writing, and a sense of fun that - sorry to say - I just don't get from NuWho. Are we to feign that NuWho has a better track record than this?

3Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding Empty Re: Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding 20th May 2019, 5:33 pm

Doctor7

I agree chibnall is like the next grade .

4Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding Empty Re: Vintage JNT and Janet Fielding 22nd May 2019, 4:36 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Doctor7 wrote:I agree chibnall is like the next grade .

I'd say he's more like the next Saward.... except I think even Saward was more self-reflective of his writing and willing to strive to do better, unlike Chibnall who just seems to be a complete drone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum