burrunjor
Kaijuko
iank
Zarius
Pepsi Maxil
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Virgin New Adventures Empty The Virgin New Adventures 9th September 2018, 8:27 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

What are your thoughts on them?

2The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th September 2018, 8:57 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I could do without all of the ultra edgy adult material in some of them, but I do love Benny and the full realisation of Sylv's Doctor denied to us by cancellation.

3The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th September 2018, 10:31 pm

iank

iank

I read them religiously at the time, these days I'm kind of meh on them. The only one I've read in the last 10-15 years is Nightshade, which is still the best thing Gatiss ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 10th September 2018, 7:50 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

I read my first one many years ago - 'Blood Heat' by Jim Mortimore and loved it. Some of the N/A's can be a bit heavy going, but mostly I've really enjoyed them.

5The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th March 2019, 11:07 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The last one I read was Transit and that was a pile of shit. I expected much better from the man that a) wrote my all time favourite story and b) went on to write the excellent Rivers of London series.

6The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th March 2019, 11:22 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Lawrence Miles wrote:You may remember a time, in the days before "Doctor Who fans" meant thirteen-year-olds, when the Virgin / BBC novels actually seemed important. The authors certainly thought they were important, and pride was their most valued possession. After all, the reason I gained a reputation as an unhealthy influence was that I broke what Keith Topping called "the unspoken code", the Omerta-like law which held that New Adventures writers should all stick together in the face of fandom and not publicly criticise each others' work. I say "Omerta", but in practice, they behaved more like Medieval overlords than mafiosa: the elite have to form a united front, because otherwise, they'll be revealed as weak, flabby individuals and the peasants will get ideas above their station. Oh, and you're the peasants, by the way. When the new series began, those authors who were promoted to scriptwriter-level went from "overlords" to "royalty", which is why my heartless attack on Mark Gatiss was received with the same shock as if a small-time landowner in the Middle Ages had just referred to the Prince of the Realm as a big spaz.

You think I'm exaggerating…? Then consider this. When Paul Cornell took me to task for the social faux-pas of having opinions, he seemed appalled that I was incapable of respecting the natural hierarchy, and asked whether there was anybody I 'bent the knee' to. Bent the knee…? What is this, geek feudalism? When I told him that I had no interest in serving or reigning, he asked me: 'Do your followers know that?' I found it horrifying that anyone could even think that way, and I still do.

https://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/2008/05/week-eight-my-life-with-new-god-king.html

7The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th March 2019, 11:32 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I much prefer the BBC books. Storm Harvest, The Hollow Men, Illegal Alien and Relative Dementias all have a proper Season 26 feel.

8The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th March 2019, 1:13 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

ClockworkOcean wrote:
Lawrence Miles wrote:You may remember a time, in the days before "Doctor Who fans" meant thirteen-year-olds, when the Virgin / BBC novels actually seemed important. The authors certainly thought they were important, and pride was their most valued possession. After all, the reason I gained a reputation as an unhealthy influence was that I broke what Keith Topping called "the unspoken code", the Omerta-like law which held that New Adventures writers should all stick together in the face of fandom and not publicly criticise each others' work. I say "Omerta", but in practice, they behaved more like Medieval overlords than mafiosa: the elite have to form a united front, because otherwise, they'll be revealed as weak, flabby individuals and the peasants will get ideas above their station. Oh, and you're the peasants, by the way. When the new series began, those authors who were promoted to scriptwriter-level went from "overlords" to "royalty", which is why my heartless attack on Mark Gatiss was received with the same shock as if a small-time landowner in the Middle Ages had just referred to the Prince of the Realm as a big spaz.

You think I'm exaggerating…? Then consider this. When Paul Cornell took me to task for the social faux-pas of having opinions, he seemed appalled that I was incapable of respecting the natural hierarchy, and asked whether there was anybody I 'bent the knee' to. Bent the knee…? What is this, geek feudalism? When I told him that I had no interest in serving or reigning, he asked me: 'Do your followers know that?' I found it horrifying that anyone could even think that way, and I still do.

https://beasthouse-lm2.blogspot.com/2008/05/week-eight-my-life-with-new-god-king.html

Ha. Yes. I've posted this previously in another thread. Telling isn't it? And well worthy of attention. Far from being "Mad Larry", Miles is the only one of the New Adventures crowd with any integrity and his criticisms of NuWho are insightful and razor-sharp.

As for the New Adventures themselves, I've never read 'em. I've HEARD more than enough.

9The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th March 2019, 4:25 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Kaled Hygiene wrote: he's always hailed by fandom as a genius.

Not any more. He's been completely disowned by "fandom" since criticising NuWho.
A contentious opinion can cause one's previously acclaimed work to be totally dismissed, apparently (even as Moffat shamelessly plundered it for "inspiration").

Kaled Hygiene wrote:Cornell's rugged good looks

Are we talking about the same Paul Cornell..?

10The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 9th March 2019, 6:29 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

The only point of contention I have with Miles is his assertion that Series 5 was worse than any of RTD's efforts. I suspect that his unpleasant personal experiences with Moffat may have clouded his judgement on that one.

11The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 10th March 2019, 10:15 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Kaled Hygiene wrote:Does anyone else wish this range of novels had never existed? I was too young to read them but I remember pretentious extracts in DWM and the prohibitive retail price.

Can we ever forgive a range of novels which successfully launched the career of Paul Cornell? I don't think so. In fact the entire NA range and its sister range the Missing Adventures appears to have blooded quite a few writers who would go on to be stalwarts of the modern revival of Doctor Who. Not least Russell T Davies himself. Some of the most ardent NuWho propagandists were mainstays of the NA range and the successor to it, the equally over saturated Eighth Doctor Novels. Without the Virgin line of novels the 2005 revival may not have got off the ground or at least not involved writers like Cornell and Gatiss.

Then there's the inclusion of nudity and bad language in some of the novels for no other reason than to appear 'edgy' and appeal to the nascent young adult fiction market. There may have been the occasional interesting book like Blood Heat and Lungbarrow (never read them) but from what I can tell too many of the novels were focused on exploring the personal lives of the hipster companions, while having a general air of right-on-left-wing politics that would make Grange Hill look like serious drama. Not to mention the Dalek's were virtually absent for the entire run, although this may have pertained to rights issues?

Then there's the fact so many of the damn things were churned out and the wilderness years far from being the golden age that its often portrayed as was actually the time when the iconoclastic fanboys, resentful of what they deemed to be flaws in the Classic Series (an asexual Doctor and zero interest in the companions sexual lives), finally took over and decided Doctor Who would never be something so resolutely unfashionable again. This led to the smug 'romcom' that is modern Doctor Who.

Completely 100 percent agreed. The Virgin New Adventures are the epitome of self loathing fanboyism that ultimately led to New Poo.

Also yes nothing that launches the career of Paul Cornell should EVER be forgiven, including arguably the brand of Doctor Who in the first place LOL.

If there is a bigger cuck, egotist, self loathing fanboy, sellout, chancer, macktivist on the planet than Paul I've yet to hear of him.

12The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 10th March 2019, 11:06 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Kaled Hygiene wrote:
burrunjor wrote:Completely 100 percent agreed. The Virgin New Adventures are the epitome of self loathing fanboyism that ultimately led to New Poo.

I'm not into book burning as you know but I would happily take part in a mass burning of NewAdventures.

The generation of NewAdventure writers and fans (a somewhat blurred line)  are often smug sanctimonious tossers as well. Usually they're passionate NuWho advocates who think 'Benny' and her complicated life is everything the Classic Series was lacking.

burrunjor wrote: Also yes nothing that launches the career of Paul Cornell should EVER be forgiven, including arguably the brand of Doctor Who in the first place LOL.

If there is a bigger cuck, egotist, self loathing fanboy, sellout, chancer, macktivist on the planet than Paul I've yet to hear of him.

I couldn't have put it better myself. By their own admission hacks like Paul Cornell weren't fussed on the actual television programme but on the series mythology, whatever that means.

It means they thought they could do it better. The results, however, speak for themselves.

13The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 12th March 2019, 5:36 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

I've never actually read any of these novels, but I've read enough about them to know that many of them suffer from the same self-loathing fanboy mentality that's ruined NuWho, only man-hating wasn't in vogue at the time, so the emphasis was instead on exactly the kind of pathetic, adolescent "look-how-edgy-we-are" attempts at being "adult" that dragged down the first series of Torchwood. RTD's blowjob scene and the part where the Doctor very arguably scolds Ace for objecting to the prospect of being raped tell me all I need to know about this range.

14The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 24th March 2019, 9:27 pm

iank

iank

I must have missed that bit, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

15The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 25th March 2019, 4:28 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Read some Targets.

GWEEN is great.

I vote for Dicks over Cornhole.

16The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 31st March 2019, 3:11 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

ClockworkOcean wrote:the part where the Doctor very arguably scolds Ace for objecting to the prospect of being raped

Hardly any worse than how Warriors of the Deep wrote him.

It's almost as if setting a bad precedent has revolting consequences down the line.

17The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 3rd February 2020, 11:38 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Shakedown and Human Nature are good. I really don't rate the other ones I've read. The Pit is most definitely the worst of the range and indeed the worst Doctor Who book ever written.

18The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 4th February 2020, 2:56 am

Ludders

Ludders

Never bothered with them.

19The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 4th February 2020, 4:08 am

Boofer

Boofer

I like the fact you kept 'Virgin' in the title, as they were mainly read by that demographic.

20The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 4th February 2020, 4:19 am

Ludders

Ludders

Boofer wrote:I like the fact you kept 'Virgin' in the title, as they were mainly read by that demographic.

LOL

21The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 4th February 2020, 7:49 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

I realize there's an awful lot of you who you don't like the NA's but tbh, I've really enjoyed reading the following:

Human Nature
Blood Heat
Just War
Timewyrm: Exodus
Love And War
All Consuming Fire
The Also People
The Highest Science
Nightshade
Lungbarrow
The Dying Days

But I'm not too keen on:

No Future
St Anthony's Fire
The Pit
Head Games
Transit
Damaged Goods

I suppose part of the reason for my fondness is that I like the Seventh Doctor so much, plus I have a general goodwill towards anything from the 'Wilderness Years'  - Big Finish Audios, the DWM comic strip, Reeltime Pictures, etc - it's when I first became a fan.  I get that some of you find the NA's too pretentious, indulgent, fan-wanky and perhaps view them as a kind of precursor to NuWho itself but I do genuinely find an awful lot of the books well-written, fun, entertainingly ambitious Dr. Who adventures.  For example, All Consuming Fire is a smashing story: 7th Doctor + Sherlock Holmes + Lovecraft's Cosmic Horror.  Love it!

22The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 4th February 2020, 11:42 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Seventh Doctor PDAS books were more satisfying to me. There were several decent New Adventures novels, but many of them rubbed me up the wrong way and sometimes the Seventh Doctor just didn't feel like the Seventh Doctor to me. I also found the idea that Glitz dumped Mel on a plant and then buggered off to be incredibly mind-spirited.

23The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 4th February 2020, 6:32 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Pepsi Maxil wrote:The Seventh Doctor PDAS books were more satisfying to me. There were several decent New Adventures novels, but many of them rubbed me up the wrong way and sometimes the Seventh Doctor just didn't feel like the Seventh Doctor to me. I also found the idea that Glitz dumped Mel on a plant and then buggered off to be incredibly mind-spirited.

Same here. There were many great 7th Doctor PDA'S that I enjoyed than most of the VNA'S. Relative Dimentias, Matrix, The Algebra of Ice, are all magnificent books.

24The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 4th February 2020, 8:22 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:The Seventh Doctor PDAS books were more satisfying to me. There were several decent New Adventures novels, but many of them rubbed me up the wrong way and sometimes the Seventh Doctor just didn't feel like the Seventh Doctor to me. I also found the idea that Glitz dumped Mel on a plant and then buggered off to be incredibly mind-spirited.

Same here. There were many great 7th Doctor PDA'S that I enjoyed than most of the VNA'S. Relative Dimentias, Matrix, The Algebra of Ice, are all magnificent books.

Relative Dimentias is definitely my favourite. Those books really nailed the tone of Season 26.

25The Virgin New Adventures Empty Re: The Virgin New Adventures 10th February 2020, 8:34 pm

Ludders

Ludders

I just dl'd the entire range. Dunno if I'll ever read them, but maybe next time I get 6 weeks off work.... Big Grin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum