Galaxy 4 overlooked gem?

+4
DeadManRising
TiberiusDidNothingWrong
iank
Rawkuss
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 27th August 2018, 6:54 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Finished Galaxy 4 on my rewatch of the Hartnell era yesterday (PS Hartnell era has held up brilliantly, apart from one or two duds, like The Web Planet.)

Galaxy 4 obviously isn't top 10 material, but its a very enjoyable and quite surreal little story. Its often bashed as one of the worst stories ever made and I don't understand why?

The Rills and the Chumblies were very well realised. I know people say the Chumblies weren't scary like in the Adventure with the Wife and Space blog, but they weren't meant to be scary! They were meant to be friendly robots.

The Drahvins were also quite interesting villains.  I normally despise gender politics being brought into sci fi. Take a look at Power an episode of Blake's 7 for instance. IMO that isn't just the worst episode of B7, but one of the worst ever episodes of any tv show (almost on a par with Death in Heaven. It really is that bad. It is to female B7 fans what Jodie's casting is to male DW fans. Petty agenda driven spitting in their faces.)

However with the Drahvins thankfully they didn't really focus on gender politics. That story wasn't about men vs women in the slightest, or making any nasty, snide little comments about either sex. The only reason they were beautiful women was for the appearances don't matter angle of the story, not a gender war one.

The Drahvins were really just female Sontarans but about 10 years earlier when you think about it. Both war mongering clone races, who have eliminated the concept of two genders, because they see it as inefficient. They have another way to reproduce which can create more foot soldiers, and they consider one gender to be better equipped for war, so they only clone them.

Its quite an interesting thought. Sadly however not to sound sexist, but it was one that was always going to be better equipped for a race of all male villains.

It is hard to have female villains against male heroes, not because you won't buy that a woman can't outfight, or outwit a male character, but because a male hero can't beat the shit out of a female villain in quite the same way as he can a male villain. Imagine if Hal the Archer had impaled a Drahvin with an Arrow for instance, or Jamie had knifed a Drahvin in the leg!  

I don't think that's right of course. I want to see more female villains. IMO you'll only achieve equal representation when female characters go through the same kind of punishment as male characters do on screen. That's the one hurdle left. People keep thinking "I'm going to strike a blow by having a female hero who can outfight any man". YAWN, no one cares. None of us have a problem with the idea of a female character being stronger or smarter than all of the men around her. That hurdle was overcome decades ago.

Its having a female hero get tortured the way Wolverine does, or a female villain like The Joker get the shit kicked out of her that's the brave thing to do now IMO, if you do want women to have all the same kinds of roles as men.

At least Galaxy 4 tried by casting women in a role that was always occupied by men, the race of war mongering, alien invaders. Sontarans, Daleks, Cybermen etc, all male races, or at least more masculine.

How successful you think it was well sadly it seems most people would say it wasn't, but overall I'd say that Galaxy 4 is a great story. I also found out that it inspired this track from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

Beautiful Zelda's a Drahvin!

2Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 27th August 2018, 8:22 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

I can never buy the 'species with gender roles reversed' storyline you find on a few Sci-Fi series, Galaxy Four being a minor example.

What defines a female from an evolutionary perspective is their being the child-carrier. Being a child-carrier leaves them vulnerable. Because of this, the male evolves to be more apt at protecting them and providing for them to ensure the species can reproduce efficiently. For humans and similar species, this means that the male - essentially by definition - will be the superior sex in regards to those derivations of protecting and providing. For the female to be more apt at warfare is inconsistent with evolutionary inference.

3Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 27th August 2018, 9:59 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Galaxy 4 is fantastic

4Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 27th August 2018, 10:16 pm

iank

iank

It does seem like a rather good little story, wish they'd find the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

5Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 27th August 2018, 11:55 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

TiberiusDidNothingWrong wrote:I can never buy the 'species with gender roles reversed' storyline you find on a few Sci-Fi series, Galaxy Four being a minor example.

What defines a female from an evolutionary perspective is their being the child-carrier. Being a child-carrier leaves them vulnerable. Because of this, the male evolves to be more apt at protecting them and providing for them to ensure the species can reproduce efficiently. For humans and similar species, this means that the male - essentially by definition - will be the superior sex in regards to those derivations of protecting and providing. For the female to be more apt at warfare is inconsistent with evolutionary inference.

Not true in some cases the female of the species is larger and stronger than the male.We see this in many predators in fact who live more dangerous lives by definition. In most species of Birds of Prey for instance females are far larger, stronger and more dominant than the males. Also take a look at Lions. Even though males are larger and stronger there, females still do all the hunting.

Maybe in the Drahvins its a similar case, and the males are 4 foot tall and squat?

6Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 28th August 2018, 8:45 am

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

burrunjor wrote:

Not true in some cases the female of the species is larger and stronger than the male.We see this in many predators in fact who live more dangerous lives by definition. In most species of Birds of Prey for instance females are far larger, stronger and more dominant than the males. Also take a look at Lions. Even though males are larger and stronger there, females still do all the hunting.

Maybe in the Drahvins its a similar case, and the males are 4 foot tall and squat?

This is why I clarified, 'for humans and similar species'. You have to account for the particular anatomy barring the variation in question (which the Drahvin share), social factors (Solitary, pro-Social etc.) and the relevant ecosystem to predict the dimorphism. Regardless, that the species in question are always quasi-Humans it's essentially assured that the dimorphism will be mirrored.

If we're trying to make Galaxy Four sensible, my own head-canon assumes something akin to an extreme development of the modern culture.

7Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 28th August 2018, 11:21 am

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

I like Galaxy 4. I watched a fanmade animated reconstruction of it on Youtube a couple of years ago and I rather enjoyed it. Yeah, the last two episodes are a bit slow and admittedly "Chumblies" was a rather silly name for the robots. But on the whole, I thought it was a fairly decent story.

Even if Peter Purves hates it for some odd reason...

8Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 29th August 2018, 7:17 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Galaxy 4 is a little gem. There are so many kickass Hartnell adventures that never get mentioned when discussing the best stories of all time. Has anyone watched the Massacre recon? It's absolutely superb.

9Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 29th August 2018, 7:37 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Maxil wrote:Galaxy 4 is a little gem. There are so many kickass Hartnell adventures that never get mentioned when discussing the best stories of all time. Has anyone watched the Massacre recon? It's absolutely superb.

I just finished the Massacre today. Classic story overall. The Daleks Masterplan is also an amazing story. Every bit as good as I remembered. Onto the Ark today, another little gem of a story.

10Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 29th August 2018, 9:40 pm

Bill

burrunjor wrote:
Maxil wrote:Galaxy 4 is a little gem. There are so many kickass Hartnell adventures that never get mentioned when discussing the best stories of all time. Has anyone watched the Massacre recon? It's absolutely superb.

I just finished the Massacre today. Classic story overall. The Daleks Masterplan is also an amazing story. Every bit as good as I remembered. Onto the Ark today, another little gem of a story.

One of the best eras of the entire show. Anyone LOVE The Myth Makers? I absolutely love Odysseus in this one - totally taking the piss out of The Doctor's claims, and outwitting him in many ways. Superb dialogue and plot.

The Daleks' Masterplan - Destruction of Time sounds like THE most dramatic ending to a Doctor Who story ever...

And The Massacre is so intelligent. Steven Taylor has the story of his life in this one, and the end of Priest of Death is also incredibly exciting - Steven is convinced The Doctor is dead (not to mention Hartnell's spellbinding dialogue in Bells of Doom).

The Hartnell era has everything!

11Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 12th September 2018, 7:17 pm

sanchez ll

One interesting point I recall from years ago in 'Galaxy Four' was when the 'Chumblie' went around the Tardis inspecting it.... from inside the console room they could hear it knocking on the large bubbled walls as it moved around...as we also then saw from outside it just moving around the small Police box knocking against the small panel walls of the box !

it really gave an impression of the inside being far bigger than the outside of the ship...

12Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? Empty Re: Galaxy 4 overlooked gem? 30th January 2020, 7:35 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I watched the abridged version on the DVD of The Aztecs the other day. What a delightful little tale. It's actually one of the most atmospheric stories of the classic era. The music definitely does it for me:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum