TiberiusDidNothingWrong
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Scream of the Shalka Empty Scream of the Shalka 2nd August 2018, 12:14 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

The now non-canon animated serial by Paul Cornell - an alternative Ninth Doctor and semi-Season 27.

Thoughts?

+Richard E. Grant and Derek Jacobi are inspired choices.
+It isn't insulting as is NuWho.
+Fairly well-written and competent.
+Disregarded by NuWho.

-Not particularly interesting.
-Paul Cornell.
-Animated.
-Season 27 should be better than this.

2Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 2nd August 2018, 12:35 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Its okay. Much better sequel than New Who, but only because Paul Cornell didn't get enough time to fuck up DW.

IMO Classic Who takes place in another universe to New Who.

It goes like this.

Classic Who takes place in N-Space.

New Who takes place in M-Space. M-Space has a similar history to Classic Who, but ultimately different in some ways (explaining the appearance of Classic Doctors in New Who. They are merely alternate counterparts.)

Doctor Omega (Doctor Who's literary predecessor, check it out, its a brilliant novel) takes place in Z-Space.

The Cushing movies all take place in another universe, as do the Doctor Who comics. (Except the Dalek Chronicles which takes place in N-Space.)

Scream of the Shalka can take place in another multiverse IMO.

Incidentally I also think Blake's 7 Dan Dare (the original Eagle, 2000AD, the new Eagle) Showa era Godzilla, Futurama, Red Dwarf Lost in Space, and Prince of Darkness all take place in N-Space as they have all had loose crossovers with each other.

3Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 2nd August 2018, 10:16 pm

iank

iank

I didn't see it till it came out on DVD.
I wasn't impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 3rd August 2018, 8:42 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Despite the poor animation, I'm rather fond of 'Shalka' - before NuWho, it was almost how I imagined the show to be if it ever came back properly (and how wrong I was! Sad ).
A more traditional alien invasion tale with none of the soapy baggage of the reboot, with a far more old-fashioned styled Doctor. I really like REG's slightly imperious, snotty, almost aristocratic take on the character - a million miles away from Eccelston's working class hero schtick and Derek Jacobi is always good value - predating his role in 'Utopia' by some years when providing the voice of the Master here. The fact that Davies didn't like Richard E Grant's performance is recommendation enough for me and I think its a shame they didn't make any more (where hopefully the animation had improved).  A fascinating diversion and much more enjoyable than 'Rose' and indeed most of the BBC Wales series.

"I only come to this planet for the wine and the total eclipses, and I do love a nice old-fashioned invasion."

Last edited by Queen Angvia on 3rd August 2018, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

5Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 3rd August 2018, 9:11 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Queen Angvia wrote:Despite the poor animation, I'm rather fond of 'Shalka' - before NuWho, it was almost how I imagined the show to be if it ever came back properly (and how wrong I was! Sad ).
A more traditional 'alien invasion' tale with none of the soapy baggage of the reboot, with a far more 'old-fashioned' styled Doctor. I really like REG's slightly imperious, snotty, almost aristocratic take on the character - a million miles away from Eccelston's 'working class hero' schtick and Derek Jacobi is always good value - predating his role in 'Utopia' by some years when providing the voice of the Master in Shalka. The fact that Davies didn't like Grant's performance is recommendation enough for me and I think its a shame they didn't make any more (where hopefully the animation had improved).

"I only come to this planet for the wine and the total eclipses, and I do love a nice old-fashioned invasion."

Yes its very telling that RTD hated Richard E Grant's Doctor. He actually WAS the Doctor. Grandfatherly, arrogant, upper class, aristocratic etc.

I can imagine RTD watching it and thinking its boring because he didn't want to boink Sophie Okonedo's character (much better companion than either Rose Tylah or Donna BTW too.)

PS LOVE your new profile pic. Nice to see another Hammer Horror fan, and I always thought Zepplin vs Pterodactyl would have been a classic. Ah what could have been.

6Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 3rd August 2018, 9:15 am

iank

iank

I dunno, that line sounds really New Who-y to me.

7Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 3rd August 2018, 9:30 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

iank wrote:I dunno, that line sounds really New Who-y to me.

Do you mean the quote about 'wine and total eclipses', etc? Yes, I see your point but imagine it with Grant's snooty, haughty, slightly affected delivery/accent and its more Noel Coward than David Tennant.  I think so, anyway.

8Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 3rd August 2018, 9:39 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

burrunjor wrote:
Queen Angvia wrote:Despite the poor animation, I'm rather fond of 'Shalka' - before NuWho, it was almost how I imagined the show to be if it ever came back properly (and how wrong I was! Sad ).
A more traditional 'alien invasion' tale with none of the soapy baggage of the reboot, with a far more 'old-fashioned' styled Doctor. I really like REG's slightly imperious, snotty, almost aristocratic take on the character - a million miles away from Eccelston's 'working class hero' schtick and Derek Jacobi is always good value - predating his role in 'Utopia' by some years when providing the voice of the Master in Shalka. The fact that Davies didn't like Grant's performance is recommendation enough for me and I think its a shame they didn't make any more (where hopefully the animation had improved).

Yes its very telling that RTD hated Richard E Grant's Doctor. He actually WAS the Doctor. Grandfatherly, arrogant, upper class, aristocratic etc.

I can imagine RTD watching it and thinking its boring because he didn't want to boink Sophie Okonedo's character (much better companion than either Rose Tylah or Donna BTW too.)

PS LOVE your new profile pic. Nice to see another Hammer Horror fan, and I always thought Zepplin vs Pterodactyl would have been a classic. Ah what could have been.

Thanks - I love the old Hammer flicks and isn't it wonderfully fascinating seeing a glimpse of something that was never actually produced? (Like the Scratchman film, or a proper Doctor Who series for the 21st century Wink)I also like the image because it looks like something from early 2000AD.

9Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 3rd August 2018, 10:22 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

and isn't it wonderfully fascinating seeing a glimpse of something that was never actually produced? (Like the Scratchman film, or a proper Doctor Who series for the 21st century

Yes a proper DW revival could have worked and been just as good as the original IMO.

Last edited by burrunjor on 25th May 2019, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 25th May 2019, 7:00 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I personally love it. I do like Eccleston's Doctor, but I imagine what Doctor Who would have been like if it was Richard E. Grant after McGann, instead of Eccleston. There's something so Doctor-y about an incarnation shouting "yee-haw" when riding a dinosaur. His attitude is more akin to Classic Doctors as opposed to the NewWho ones, even with the fantastic outfit and everything. Plus, I love his interactions with the Master, it shows that Derek Jacobi is severely underrated as the Master. I'm a little disappointed that Grant hasn't had any Big Finish audios/BBC books, he seemed to have untapped potential.

11Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 25th May 2019, 8:19 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:There's something so Doctor-y about an incarnation shouting "yee-haw" when riding a dinosaur

Ugh. No, there's something very Tennant-Smith about it. The Shalka Doctor is schizophrenic. On the one hand, he's terse, irritable, aloof (probably too much so; he shows none of the lighter side of the Fourth and Sixth Doctors, for example) and then, he turns on a sixpence and comes out with all this "Yee-haw" and "Take me home, big-boooyyy!!!" bollocks. Jarringly out of character, and disturbingly redolent of what Davies and Moffat would end up putting in the Doctor's mouth.

I have to say, I've never been impressed by Shalka; its a dull, bog-standard invasion story. It may be preferable to Nu-Who, but watching it now, with its overly simplistic storyline, inconsistent characterisation and dodgy dialogue/gags, it contains grim portents of what was to come. The Doctor's answer-phone message, anyone?

12Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 25th May 2019, 11:16 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

The Doctor's answer-phone message, anyone?

Oh dear god that is the worst part of it.

THAT begun all of the Doctor/Master slash bullshit.

Though hilariously even Paul Cornell didnt intend for them to be gay lovers.

In the non-canon webcast Scream of the Shalka, the Master has had his consciousness transferred into an android that was (according to production notes) created by the Doctor to save his life. They are now living together semi-peacefully on the TARDIS. Complete with marital bitching and a rather suggestive outgoing message on their answering machine.
Doctor (on recording): *giggle* — You have reached the good ship TARDIS. *giggle* We're rather — *giggle* — busy at the moment, *giggle* *giggle* so leave a message after the beep and we'll try to get back to you before you called. *giggle* — Stop that! *giggle* *giggle*
Master: [beat] We really should change that message.

The author has admitted that, although this wasn't intentional (the answering machine message was supposed to be between the Doctor and his last female companion), he really likes the gay interpretation. While attending a Doctor/Master slash panel at a convention.

This coupled with Doctor/Companion romance are two things that this animated movie pioneered. Still at least they are only hinted at in this story. Its still overall a better sequel than New Who.

13Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 25th May 2019, 11:28 pm

iank

iank

UncleDeadly wrote:
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:There's something so Doctor-y about an incarnation shouting "yee-haw" when riding a dinosaur

Ugh. No, there's something very Tennant-Smith about it. The Shalka Doctor is schizophrenic. On the one hand, he's terse, irritable, aloof (probably too much so; he shows none of the lighter side of the Fourth and Sixth Doctors, for example) and then, he turns on a sixpence and comes out with all this "Yee-haw" and "Take me home, big-boooyyy!!!" bollocks. Jarringly out of character, and disturbingly redolent of what Davies and Moffat would end up putting in the Doctor's mouth.

I have to say, I've never been impressed by Shalka; its a dull, bog-standard invasion story. It may be preferable to Nu-Who, but watching it now, with its overly simplistic storyline, inconsistent characterisation and dodgy dialogue/gags, it contains grim portents of what was to come. The Doctor's answer-phone message, anyone?

Bingo.

14Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 27th May 2019, 9:28 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

TiberiusDidNothingWrong wrote:The now non-canon animated serial by Paul Cornell - an alternative Ninth Doctor and semi-Season 27.

What do you mean "non-canon"?

It's a darn sight more canon than NuWho crap.

Evidently the 8th Doctor entered a rupture in the multiverse at the point of his regeneration and had a splintered 9th incarnation of which we have see three possibilities so far, Rowan Atkinsons, Richard E Grants and Ecclestons gormless twat one.

Personally I prefer the Grant one and think it follows the classic series lineage most closely.

He certainly would've made a better Doctor than Ecclestons gormless thicko.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

15Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 28th May 2019, 6:29 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Rob Filth wrote:
TiberiusDidNothingWrong wrote:The now non-canon animated serial by Paul Cornell - an alternative Ninth Doctor and semi-Season 27.

What do you mean "non-canon"?

It's a darn sight more canon than NuWho crap.

Evidently the 8th Doctor entered a rupture in the multiverse at the point of his regeneration and had a splintered 9th incarnation of which we have see three possibilities so far, Rowan Atkinsons, Richard E Grants and Ecclestons gormless twat one.

Personally I prefer the Grant one and think it follows the classic series lineage most closely.

He certainly would've made a better Doctor than Ecclestons gormless thicko.

Big Grin

Agreed - I'm still amazed at how utterly unsuitable and (for want of a better term) 'un-Doctorish' Eccelston was.  What the Hell were they thinking?  SOTS was far from perfect - the animation was primitive, the story was too 'Who-by-numbers' and the dialogue stilted, but I think it's far more in keeping with the classic series and what I personally want from the show.

Scream of the Shalka Aaaa_d11

16Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 28th May 2019, 9:04 am

stengos

stengos

I never much cared for Shalka. Part of my problem was Grant - i have never really liked him much as actor. A bit of a ham really.

Much of the dialogue seemed un-whoish to me. The mobile phone joke sounded like it was written by some kid desperate to make Who seem more grown up but came across as incongruous and bad taste to me.

Also at the time i was still an avid listener of Big Finish audios and this paled in comparison.

I never realised RTD disliked it so much. Of Grant's performance he is quoted as saying;

"I thought he was terrible. I thought he took the money and ran, to be honest. It was a lazy performance. He was never on our list to play the Doctor."

Seemed a bit harsh to me.

17Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 28th May 2019, 5:18 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:The mobile phone joke sounded like it was written by some kid desperate to make Who seem more grown up but came across as incongruous and bad taste to me.

I've never really watched Shalka all the way through but I did in light of this thread look up that particular scene on youtube out of curiosity.

Holy shit! What was Cornell thinking?

Yeah tasteless and smug sums it up. Makes the Doctor come off as really sordid somehow.

stengos wrote:I never realised RTD disliked it so much. Of Grant's performance he is quoted as saying;

"I thought he was terrible. I thought he took the money and ran, to be honest. It was a lazy performance. He was never on our list to play the Doctor."

Seemed a bit harsh to me.

RTD could always be a bit of an old queen though.

18Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 28th May 2019, 9:16 pm

Boofer

Boofer

I thought it was a load of shit. RTD was right. The artwork and performance made REG sound and look like a languid vampire.

19Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 28th May 2019, 9:41 pm

stengos

stengos

[quote="Boofer"]I thought it was a load of shit. RTD was right. The artwork and performance made REG sound and look like a languid vampire.[/quote

The first time i saw the doctor in Shalka i was confused as to why he looked like a vampire. Too severe a look for the character imho.

20Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 28th May 2019, 9:57 pm

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Boofer wrote:I thought it was a load of shit. RTD was right. The artwork and performance made REG sound and look like a languid vampire.

There's a short section in 'The Black Archive #10 Scream Of The Shalka' by Jon Arnold (2017) in which the author draws a parallel between the Timelord and Dracula. Interesting to read but I don't necessarily agree with the comparison, though on reflection, I think I'd rather the Ninth Doctor resemble an undead aristocrat than adopt Eccelston's scruffy binman look! Wink

21Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 29th May 2019, 3:14 pm

stengos

stengos

Tanmann wrote:
stengos wrote:The mobile phone joke sounded like it was written by some kid desperate to make Who seem more grown up but came across as incongruous and bad taste to me.

I've never really watched Shalka all the way through but I did in light of this thread look up that particular scene on Youtube out of curiosity.

Holy shit! What was Cornell thinking?

Yeah tasteless and smug sums it up. Makes the Doctor come off as really sordid somehow.

What was Cornell thinking? I am probably wrong but I think he may have had a problem with the family-cum-kids image of Dr Who and so wanted to make it - in his eyes - more adult. One way to do that was to put jokes about sex in the programme. That would then make him appear as an author for adults.

But then i may be over thinking it.

22Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 29th May 2019, 7:10 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:What was Cornell thinking? I am probably wrong but I think he may have had a problem with the family-cum-kids image of Dr Who and so wanted to make it - in his eyes - more adult. One way to do that was to put jokes about sex in the programme. That would then make him appear as an author for adults.

I think there was that, but I think the main reason is Cornell had hang-ups about being a Who fan in the 90's and the 'virginal anorak' image that went with it, and was using the Doctor as his avatar to desperately try to prove that he was getting some, and that he wasn't a fan of a virginal Doctor, nor did he have hang-ups about wanting to keep him that way.

23Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 29th May 2019, 7:44 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Tanmann wrote:
stengos wrote:What was Cornell thinking? I am probably wrong but I think he may have had a problem with the family-cum-kids image of Dr Who and so wanted to make it - in his eyes - more adult. One way to do that was to put jokes about sex in the programme. That would then make him appear as an author for adults.

I think there was that, but I think the main reason is Cornell had hang-ups about being a Who fan in the 90's and the 'virginal anorak' image that went with it, and was using the Doctor as his avatar to desperately try to prove that he was getting some, and that he wasn't a fan of a virginal Doctor, nor did he have hang-ups about wanting to keep him that way.

Hm. You could type all that out again, substitute the name Moffat for Cornell and not have to change a single word...

24Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 29th May 2019, 7:55 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Probably. It did seem to be an insecurity across the board with a lot of the fan writers. But perhaps particularly so for Cornell and Moffat who worked in a BBC where the disdain for the show was pretty much institutionalized.

25Scream of the Shalka Empty Re: Scream of the Shalka 31st May 2019, 4:28 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Tanmann wrote:

Yeah, I will admit I'm not a fan of that joke, feels like a joke that would be from the VNA's, and how Paul tried to make the 7th Doctor more romantic (and yes, I said the 7th Doctor, because I do believe that the 8th Doctor is about as asexual as the other Classic Doctors, which I will clarify in a later post). But it doesn't last for too long, and is never brought up again, so it doesn't dampen down on my enjoyment with the story too much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum