+2
Rawkuss
DeadManRising
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

burrunjor

burrunjor

Not a fan of Gogglebox but I did enjoy watching this. #

This smug interview with Steven Moffat in the 90s where he goes on about how it was awful for him to watch DW in the company of friends is fucking hilarious in hindsight.

Karma is a bitch if you are one.

Steven Moffat's Favourite Old Doctor Who

Clearly these people were not alone in that accurate assessment of The Witch's Familiar hence the rapidly depleting viewing figures down to barely over 2 million LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

To be fair though, most of the people in that video don't exactly strike me as the type of people that would really enjoy Classic Who that much either. They seem more like the type of people that would eagerly tune into Eastenders each week to see who Phil Mitchell is going to beat up next.

This video proves absolutely nothing.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I am surprised these people know how to turn a TV on

burrunjor

burrunjor

DeadManRising wrote:To be fair though, most of the people in that video don't exactly strike me as the type of people that would really enjoy Classic Who that much either. They seem more like the type of people that would eagerly tune into Eastenders each week to see who Phil Mitchell is going to beat up next.

This video proves absolutely nothing.

True but they are the people who RTD and Moffat courted as the real viewers instead of us ming mongs and now even among these people New Who is a joke.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

My sister forced me to watch Gogglebox once and it was so tedious and obviously fake. I'd actually watch Nuwho rather than that poor excuse for a sack of shit they call Gogglebox. Only an idiot would watch other idiots watch television shows created BY idiots that are made for even bigger idiots. Idiots, the lot of em.

iank

iank

I can't argue with that. You know society has reached beyond the bottom of the barrel when people actually make and watch shows about other people - and invariably loud mouthed, ignorant twats to be boot - watching television.
Fuck me. Rolling Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Boofer

Boofer

"Next week on Channel 9, we have people criticising TV shows on the toilet while using their wifi devices in: Turdbox TV."

iank

iank

While masturbating.

burrunjor

burrunjor

The point is though that the Gogglebox types, are the people the self loathing Fitzroy Tavern fanboys used to boast about having made Doctor Who popular with.

They used to go on about how old Doctor Who was a total and complete joke despite being one of the most celebrated and influential tv series of all time because third rate hacks would make fun of it on third rate comedy shows.

Here take a look at these quotes.

Russell T Davies

It’s hard to express the joy of that. For 20 years, this thing was a joke. It was slightly embarrassing admitting liking it. In fact, very embarrassing. You’d see comedians taking the piss out of it. It would crop up on I Love the 60s shows, where they would make it look like rubbish. And to see it being what it always was in our hearts is just amazing. You mentioned it in the same sentence as James Bond. My God, that’s impossible! .

I love the old Doctor Who (1963). But, even with all that love, you have to admit that the name of the programme had become a joke and its reputation had become a cheap joke at that - you know rubber monsters and shaky sets. And Christopher Eccelston, as one of the country's leading actors, by being willing to step up to the line and take on that part has proved has turned it around. So now you get actors like David Tennant who is the next generation and just about one of the best actors in the world. David himself says he wouldn't have touched this part if Chris hadn't done it because the part had become a joke. But Chris has salvaged it and made it new.

Steven Moffat

Back when I was in my early twenties, I thought Doctor Who was the scariest programme on television. I had one particular Who-inspired nightmare which haunts me to this day — except it wasn't a nightmare at all, it was something that happened to me on a regular basis. I'd be sitting watching Doctor Who on a Saturday, absolutely as normal... but I'd be in the company of my friends!!

Being a fan is an odd thing, isn't it? I was in little doubt — though I never admitted it, even to myself — that Doctor Who was nowhere near as good as it should have been, but for whatever reason I'd made that mysterious and deadly emotional connection with the show that transforms you into a fan and like a psychotically devoted supporter of a floundering football club, I turned out every Saturday in my scarf, grimly hoping the production team would finally score.

Of course my friends all knew my devotion to the Doctor had unaccountably survived puberty and had long since ceased to deride me for it. I think (I hope) they generally considered me someone of reasonable taste and intelligence and decided to indulge me in this one, stunningly eccentric lapse. And sometimes, on those distant Saturday afternoons before domestic video my nightmare would begin. I'd be stuck out somewhere with those friends and I'd realise in a moment of sweaty panic that I wasn't going to make it home in time for the programme—or worse, they' d be round at my house not taking the hint to leave — so on my infantile insistence we'd all troop to the nearest television and settle down to watch, me clammy with embarrassment at what was to come, my friends tolerant, amused and even open-minded.

When I watch that clip after reading those quotes I can't help but LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Karma is a bitch!

You never go after these shallow cretins that RTD and Moffat courted, cause they'll beef you up for a couple of months, maybe even years, but then will stab you in the back as seen in that Gogglebox clip. You try and create a good, credible sci fi series that will stand the test of time.

iank

iank

Even most new who lovers admit the Moffat era was a trainwreck. Karma is indeed a bitch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum