You are not connected. Please login or register

Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor

+2
iank
DeadManRising
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor Empty Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor 3rd May 2018, 11:13 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I know this has been brought up before, but what the hell there should be a thread for it.

The thing I hate the most about New Who is how inconsistent it is. Its makers seem to do this on purpose. They seem to act like people who pay attention to plot holes, continuity blips are ming mongs and sad anoraks.

Obviously if you say something like "Oh in episode 23 he said he didn't like the Beatles, but then in episode 67 he hums Octopus' Garden" then yeah fair enough that is a petty thing to pick up on, and an obvious oversight. But with New Who they seem to change major things about the Doctors character from ep to ep.

The Tenth Doctor was the worst for this. His morality is all over the place. It seems RTD at times wanted him to be a Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, I never kill my enemies hero, and then at others wanted him to be a Wolverine, Angel, Xena badass who kills and even tortures his enemies to show how badass he is, and didn't care how stupid it looked.

Case in point.

Apparently he never would, unless you piss him off a second time, he'll also forgive you if you've killed billions of people, but if you've killed like  6 then he'll torture you forever. Also its bad for his clone to wipe of the Daleks, an entirely evil race, but its okay for him to wipe out all of his own people, just because their government is evil. In fact he'll even taunt them "get back into hell!"

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Yes, the 10th Doctor's punishment of the Family of Blood in particular was incredibly fucked up and grossly out of character. I'm surprised people don't bring this up more often.

Granting them the immortality they've been seeking for so long and then proceeding to imprison them for all eternity? For causing the deaths of what, a dozen people or so? The punishment really doesn't fit the crime here.

Meanwhile the Master has caused the deaths of literally billions of lives across the universe, and yet the Doctor wants to travel across the stars with this monster and try to rehabilitate him? Childhood friends or not, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And don't forget in the Christmas Invasion when he deposed Harriet Jones for merely doing her job when she blew up the Sycorax just after they very nearly murdered a massive chunk of the Earth's population. Is the 10th Doctor REALLY so naive to assume that the Sycorax wouldn't invade anyone else after they left Earth?

iank

iank

He wasn't inconsistent, he was a giant CUNT.
His popularity remains deafeningly depressing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

It was because the writing was inconsistent. As if I'm going to watch any one of those clips again for evidence LOL

5Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor Empty Re: Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor 17th July 2018, 10:43 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

And don't forget in the Christmas Invasion when he deposed Harriet Jones for merely doing her job when she blew up the Sycorax just after they very nearly murdered a massive chunk of the Earth's population. Is the 10th Doctor REALLY so naive to assume that the Sycorax wouldn't invade anyone else after they left Earth?

Oh good god yes that was terrible. He also prevented the golden age of Britain from happening, and allowed the Master a chance to become PM and bring about his plan which still led to the deaths of innocent people, even before it was reversed, including the President of the US and that Torchwood woman he sliced and diced!

Compare that to Jon Pertwee's reaction at the end of The Silurians. The Brig's actions at the end of the Silurians were more genuinely dubious, but the Doctor didn't get him fired or anything because he was mature enough to realise that the rest of the world needed the Brig, who was the best man for that job.

Tenth Doctor however? An immature jackass who deposes possibly the best Prime Minister we ever had just for MUH feelings.

PS what Harriet Jones did to the Sycrocrax was no different to what the Doctor tries to do to the Master at the end of The Mind of Evil, or what he does to the Daleks in Remembrance. Hypocrite to the end.

6Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor Empty Re: Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor 17th July 2018, 11:26 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

I've noticed that if you watch individual episodes like say Blink and Utopia there is a cartoon level of continuity with a superficial veneer created by namechecking stuf that already happened. The much vaunted "arcs" which are really dumb and badly done.

Other than that each episode or two-parter really is like its own little superficially similar but actually standalone world.

Fan fiction, in other words. This whole NuWho was more or less just the Virgin books clique scratching their itch.

And now it's done.

7Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor Empty Re: Inconsistency of the Tennant Doctor 17th July 2018, 7:52 pm

Mott1

Mott1

And having brought down Harriet Jones with 6 words "That anti-wrinkle cream's not you, darling!" he then lets her sacrifice herself for him later on. But it's alright because he feels 'so, so sorry' about it...

With the hindsight of having seen the Tennant era, when I go back to watch Tom in The Robots Of Death (my first Who story) I can't help feel it would have been far more 'leading man' of him to punish Uvanov by disarming him and locking him in the control room with the Vocs, in anger at him defending himself. Then he could come back for his corpse later saying how remorseful he is : true heroism.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum