Cancellation and reincarnation.

+4
Boofer
DeadManRising
Pepsi Maxil
DogStar2000
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 7:56 pm

Boofer

Boofer

At some point the show will have to take a break from our screens. It's not going to go on forever.

Given this inevitability, do you think it will be possible to resurrect the show and retain the current line of continuity, or has the show been sullied so much that the only option on the table is a genuine reboot of the entire Doctor Who concept?

My personal opinion on this would be a reboot, with a new First Doctor and new continuity keeping the essential elements of the show, but with totally new companions. Essentially, it'd be a modern take with the spirit of the old show, some key monsters, Police Box, regeneration, etc, but a whole new universe untainted by the New Who shit, and disengaged with the classic series in terms of immediate personnel.

Most importantly, the Doctor would return to being an alien with a penchant for humanity, and not a bawling, soap-opera-inspired Lothario wacky wally who saunters about fixing everything with a magic wand like an arrogant prick.

The show would also take itself seriously - with an apt injection of clever humour and pathos - but would not devolve into a character-focused blob of self-knowing cliches, intertextual back-references and preachiness.

2Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 8:12 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'd rather see a brand new family science fiction show fill in the slot. A Doctor Who reboot doesn't appeal to me personally.

3Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 8:25 pm

Boofer

Boofer

CommanderMaxil1983 wrote:I'd rather see a brand new family science fiction show fill in the slot. A Doctor Who reboot doesn't appeal to me personally.

I'm not so allergic to the idea.

What sort of shape would your replacement take? I don't mind family stuff, just as long as it doesn't utilise a glut of child actors as they are, in the main, terrible.

There aren't many original sci-fi concepts left that are particularly family friendly. Most current TV sci-fi is centred on glum dystopias featuring transhumanist concepts and the psychological miasma of inter-connectivity. Also, all the stuff I have a raging hard-on for like Dyson spheres, O'Neill cylinders, terraforming, continuous acceleration and machine life, would send most audiences into a heavy coma.

4Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 8:36 pm

DogStar2000

If it was up to me… It would be a semi-reboot along the lines of the new Halloween movie and what Neil Blomkamp's Alien movie would have done.

Maybe do a mini episode with a CGI recreated forth Doctor from season 18 regenerating into a new fifth Doctor and I don't mean Peter Davison.

It could be revealed that he was hooked up to some kind of machine that made him believe he had regenerating into a series of mincing dick heads, a bottle blond in a clown outfit and a bird in braces.

It is quite frankly the only way I would ever watch this show again.

https://theleisurehive.proboards.com/

5Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 9:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Boofer wrote:
CommanderMaxil1983 wrote:I'd rather see a brand new family science fiction show fill in the slot. A Doctor Who reboot doesn't appeal to me personally.

I'm not so allergic to the idea.

What sort of shape would your replacement take? I don't mind family stuff, just as long as it doesn't utilise a glut of child actors as they are, in the main, terrible.

There aren't many original sci-fi concepts left that are particularly family friendly. Most current TV sci-fi is centred on glum dystopias featuring transhumanist concepts and the psychological miasma of inter-connectivity. Also, all the stuff I have a raging hard-on for like Dyson spheres, O'Neill cylinders, terraforming, continuous acceleration and machine life, would send most audiences into a heavy coma.

The idea of "terraforming" was used in an episode of Red Dwarf and I believe it is considered one of the best episodes of the entire show so I think audiences do find that sort of stuff interesting. As for your question "what sort of shape would your replacement take?" I would say something that really challenges the viewer. Add some social commentary, satire and unique themes that make people really think about what's being presented. I think your reboot idea might work but as a series of books. I personally would love an alternate "what if" novel series where key events of existing stories are changed. Like what if Six actually killed Peri in the Twin Dilemma? The idea of a mentally unstable alien coping with the fact that he's just murdered his companion is an interesting one and how he could possibly defeat Mestor in such a terrible state and without that voice of reason by his side would make for a tense and unpredictable story. Just a suggestion but until someone actually listens we're going to be stuck with target novels for Nuwho stories. How exciting.

6Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 9:41 pm

Boofer

Boofer

DogStar2000 wrote:If it was up to me… It would be a semi-reboot along the lines of the new Halloween movie and what Neil Blomkamp's Alien movie would have done.

Maybe do a mini episode with a CGI recreated forth Doctor from season 18 regenerating into a new fifth Doctor and I don't mean Peter Davison.

It could be revealed that he was hooked up to some kind of machine that made him believe he had regenerating into a series of mincing dick heads, a bottle blond in a clown outfit and a bird in braces.

It is quite frankly the only way I would ever watch this show again.

Do you subscribe to the Sadako theory that DW should have ended in 1981?

It's a real shame Blomkamp's vision of Alien was cancelled. I really liked District 9.

As for a massive retcon, it would probably be worth it just to see NuWho fandom go completely nuclear. LOL

7Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 9:51 pm

Boofer

Boofer

CommanderMaxil1983 wrote:The idea of "terraforming" was used in an episode of Red Dwarf and I believe it is considered one of the best episodes of the entire show so I think audiences do find that sort of stuff interesting.

Ah, Rimmer's psychic moon! One of the funniest bits of sci-fi comedy I've ever seen. I suppose you're right, it's kind of dependent on the context these concepts are written into.

As for your question "what sort of shape would your replacement take?" I would say something that really challenges the viewer. Add some social commentary, satire and unique themes that make people really think about what's being presented.

Sure, but we're living in a time of declining attention spans and shallow mindsets. Is any intelligent drama with a meaningful message even worth bothering with these days? It would be quite difficult to pull of a family show in 2018 with those considered attributes. Sometimes I think TV channels would be better off showing executions post watershed, and pre watershed, international farting championships. That's basically the state we're devolving towards.

8Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 10:17 pm

iank

iank

It's dead Jim.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

9Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 10:18 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Not easy reading the bright yellow writing on a white screen, but I got the gist!

I think it's too ballsed (or de-balled) to be followed directly. I think a reboot would either wipe Hartnell et all or imitate each Doctor in turn. But equally likely would've a more action-based, satirical, Americanised version of the show with metaphors and allegories of ISIS, Putin, Trump etc, and less PC elements - tho it would be Sky or Amazon who would buy it once the beeb were given an offer they couldn't refuse.

10Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 10:25 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

I would love nothing more than to see a reboot of the show that starts all the way back at Coal Hill School with the 1st Doctor and Susan.

Ideally, it would include a few key characters from the classic series (Susan, Romana, the Master, the Rani, Davros, Borusa and Rassilon) as well the obvious iconic monsters such as the Daleks and Cybermen.

Aside from that, everything would be completely new. New Doctors, new stories, new companions and new villains.            

No gender bending Time Lords, no falling in love with 19 year old chavs, no crying about having to regenerate, no flying space Jesus, no skydiving through glass ceilings from 50,000 feet in the air, no Electro-Master, no blowing up the TARDIS console when regenerating, no defeating the Cybermen with the power of love and no turning the Daleks into complete laughing stocks by just flipping a few levers.    

That would be simply divine.

11Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 10:41 pm

iank

iank

I would rather see them pick up after Sylv. I see no need to wipe away the classic series. Just wipe away New Poo.

12Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 10:47 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Mott1 wrote:Not easy reading the bright yellow writing on a white screen, but I got the gist!

White background?

I guess you're viewing it on a mobile device or tablet?

Works well on the dark grey PC skin.

13Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 10:51 pm

Boofer

Boofer

iank wrote:I would rather see them pick up after Sylv. I see no need to wipe away the classic series. Just wipe away New Poo.

You wouldn't be wiping it, it'll always exist for your enjoyment.

I just don't see anyone carrying on from Sylv, sadly. Doesn't seem like a realistic option (at least not at the moment).

That said the people who have taken control of the show would probably never allow any of these options to happen.

Aye, the show's fucked, so it is.

Shoot me now.

14Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 8th April 2018, 11:04 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I don't want a full reboot from Hartnell. I understand why you guys would say that, but think about it. That makes New Who the legitimate sequel to the original. I do NOT want that.

What I want to happen, and what I think will happen is this.

New Who will thankfully finish. The Who brand will be dead for many years, but it will be brought back, and this version will be a direct sequel to Classic Who.

It won't have McGann obviously. What will happen is the Doctor will just show up, no continuity references or anything. It will seem like a straight reboot at first, but then somewhere along the line, maybe 1 year into the new Doctors season, the Doctor will casually say something like "I am on my 9th life". It won't be a big deal to new viewers, but it will establish that this is ignoring everything from Ecceslton on. Later when there is a montage of all the Doctors then it will just be the first 8 and these new guys.

New Who will be retconned as taking place in an alternate universe and this will be the true sequel. This Doctor will be like the old one. Smart, level headed, a bit distant and eccentric at times, but very much a fatherly figure to his young companions.

Mainstream audiences wouldn't care, and most fans would be happy to see New Who GONE from the canon at this point lets be honest. It might have brought some new fans to it in Tennant's time but they've mostly moved on. To most DW fans, New Who is absolutely toxic to its core.

TBH making them take place in alternate universes with similar histories but different in many key ways would explain so many of the discrepancies between old and new who.

It would explain why the Master's origins and relationship with the Doctor were completely different. Seriously why did Delgado never mention the drums? Why was the Doctor always willing to kill him in Old Who, but never in New Who? When did the Master suddenly fall in love with the Doctor? Why did this friendship go from being so insignificant that the first Doctor didn't even remember the Master, but now they are gay lovers and the Doctor is willing to sacrifice the entire human race for the Master?

It would also explain why the Daleks apparently have no concept of mercy in Genesis as a key character point, yet have it The Magicians Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar? How the fuck did Skaro come back when its sun blew up?

As for the Cybermen dear god! The Cybermen according to old who invaded the earth in 1986 and everyone became aware of them, yet no one in New Who knows who they are in the early 21st century. Also their origins are completely different. The Mondasian Cybermen became powerful enough to fly before they reached earth in new who. Also according to New Who the Cybermen evolved on millions of planets independently, yet that defeats the whole point of the Cybermen in old who.

In old who they are a unique race who will die if the last of them is wiped out. Added to that Capaldi's Doctor said they were created on Telos independently, whilst old who makes out that they moved there.

Also the Great Intelligence according to old who came from another universe, was operating in Tibet since the 1600 and was a cold logical creature, whilst according to new who, it was created in the 19th century, and was created from a human being's mind!

Also the earth itself is destroyed in two different ways in old and new who.

Okay yes there are some continuity blips in old who, but these are more minor, like datres being wrong, not whole characters histories being changed (also I have an explanation for the UNIT dating controversy too BTW.)

New Who takes place in an alternate universe and is NOT the sequel to Classic Who. PS if the second sequel isn't any good we can always ignore it too.

Classic Who could be like the Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes IE there are lots of sequels but only the original Conan Doyle novels are the canon.

Godzilla did the same thing. The second sequel series ignored the first one, the third ignored the second.

Dan Dare did the same too. There have been various sequels to the original Dan Dare, 2000 AD, the new Eagle, Grant Morrison, Virgin Comics version, Spaceship Away, and they all follow on from the original 50s-60s run, but ignore each other.

IMO that's what the future holds for DW. You can just pick which if any of the later sequels you like as the true continuation, but the only kind of official bit is the 1963-1989 run.

15Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 9th April 2018, 2:44 am

iank

iank

burrunjor wrote:I don't want a full reboot from Hartnell. I understand why you guys would say that, but think about it. That makes New Who the legitimate sequel to the original. I do NOT want that.

Classic Who could be like the Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes IE there are lots of sequels but only the original Conan Doyle novels are the canon.

While I doubt it will happen, I totally hold with both these sentiments. Classic Who should be - and is AFAIC - the bedrock around which everything else - the books, the audios, and New Who - pivots, and remains the only one that is truly canon.

16Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 10th April 2018, 8:11 am

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

I would issue a public apolology for the sheer waste of money and reboot the series to before the 2005 series. I'd wipe it out and burn the master tapes and would ban anyone associated with RTD and Co from working on it.

17Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 11th April 2018, 10:53 pm

Mott1

Mott1

McCoy could wake up directly after Survival, with Ace finding the Professor on the TARDIS floor. He bumped his head on the kettle whilst making the tea, having had the most horrible nightmare... then straight into s27.

18Cancellation and reincarnation. Empty Re: Cancellation and reincarnation. 11th April 2018, 10:55 pm

iank

iank

I'm down with that. Big Grin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum