TheTimeTraveller
DeadManRising
Defeatment
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

burrunjor

burrunjor

For the Doctor?

His era was so shit, and he was given some of the cheesiest, most godawful bits of dialogue like "I'M AN IDIOT" as well as a toothless, beta, cucked characterisation who was actually ashamed of having genitals, whilst lusting after a woman young enough to be his daughter.

Naturally many people don't judge his performance as a result, as anyone would have been shit with all of those factors against them, even Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee.

Seriously name me one actor who could have saved Dark Water/Death in Heaven? That's what he got, whilst Tom got City of Death and Pyramids of Mars. Its not really fair to compare them with that in mind

So had Capaldi been given a good showrunner and stories and been allowed to play it his way, would you still want to see him as the Doctor?

I personally would say yes. He looked the part, he's not a conventional leading man, he's a brilliant actor overall, he seemed to know the character and drew influence in particular from Hartnell and Pertwee, and finally like Pertwee he brought quite an interesting physical aspect to the part despite his age which I really liked.

Its just a shame that these qualities were barely given a chance to come out. What do you think?

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Capaldi was an excellent fit for the role. He easily had the potential to be one of the greatest Doctors of all time, but shitty writing, cringe worthy dialogue and horrible characterisation completely ruined his potential.

I've always wondered. Since Capaldi has been a massive fanboy for the show since he was a child. Do you really think that deep down Peter Capaldi is genuinely happy with his Doctor's overall run? He may put on a pretty face for the media and praise Steven Moffat to the moon, but deep down there's just no fucking way he's happy with the quality of his stories and the way his Doctor was written. I reckon deep down, Peter is absolutely gutted at just how horrible his overall run is. He's just too polite and classy to say otherwise.

Defeatment

So much potential! He had the look, the mannerisms and the authority needed but just everything else went badly wrong.
If it turns out the public didn't like him instead of switching off due to the terrible ideas then that's me yet again misunderstanding the public mood.
Great actor, if only they had better stunt doubles we could have saved the talk. Talk. And more talk.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

The cringe. Good god, the cringe.

burrunjor

burrunjor

DeadManRising wrote:Capaldi was an excellent fit for the role. He easily had the potential to be one of the greatest Doctors of all time, but shitty writing, cringe worthy dialogue and horrible characterisation completely ruined his potential.

I've always wondered. Since Capaldi has been a massive fanboy for the show since he was a child. Do you really think that deep down Peter Capaldi is genuinely happy with his Doctor's overall run? He may put on a pretty face for the media and praise Steven Moffat to the moon, but deep down there's just no fucking way he's happy with the quality of his stories and the way his Doctor was written. I reckon deep down, Peter is absolutely gutted at just how horrible his overall run is. He's just too polite and classy to say otherwise.

Oh yes I think Peter is very bitter about his era. There have been rumours of him having screaming matches with Moffat from the start, also look at his remarks about "audiences just want to see the same thing" that he made just before he left, which IMO is probably him getting at the fact that he couldn't do something different with the role IE was forced to play it as Tennant lite as seen in that other clip you posted (and yes the cringe is really strong with that one, but I still say these moments are worse.)

I mean dear god can you imagine actually having to be in that! Its hilarious when you think Tom Baker used to squabble about bits in scripts commissioned by old pros like Philip Hinchcliff and Graham Williams.

What the fuck would his reaction have been if he had been given any of those three! I mean Tom would have thrown the script out of the window!

Then there is also the fact that Capaldi is on record as saying that he never wants to do conventions or play the character ever again, and he didn't even turn up for that many press conferences about his final episode either.

Who does that remind you of? Christopher Eccelston who also didn't have a bad word to say about the whole shitstorm in 2005, but now well that's a very different story. I reckon that Capaldi will be the same.

He has absolutely every right to of course. Its not just that his stories were shit. He was insulted as a leading man. Missy's appearance alone showed that Moff was more interested in setting up the next Doctor as a woman, instead of actually giving him an enemy that was right for him (which certainly isn't that joke of a character.)

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

The worst 12th Doctor moment of all time in my opinion would be when he hoped for an "all girl future" in The Doctor Falls.

I mean, holy fuck. Not only is that such a WILDY out of character thing for the Doctor to say, but it's also disgustingly insulting and discriminatory. Imagine how all these young boys must feel hearing the show prattle on about shit like "the male ego" and how they don't matter any more. Imagine how all these older men who have been watching the show loyally since the Classic era must feel. I can only imagine the deep sense of betrayal they must have felt when the Doctor hoped that the future will be "all girl".

Peter Capaldi well and truly got fucked over by the absolutely abysmal writing. I'm not even sure Tom Baker or William Hartnell could have done a good job in his shoes.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I thought he was a good choice back in 2014 and remember defending him heavily against the ageist mob. He should have quit at the end of the series and carried on making the Thick of It. He'll always be Malcolm fucking Tucker to me, never the Doctor.

burrunjor

burrunjor

DeadManRising wrote:The worst 12th Doctor moment of all time in my opinion would be when he hoped for an "all girl future" in The Doctor Falls.

I mean, holy fuck. Not only is that such a WILDY out of character thing for the Doctor to say, but it's also disgustingly insulting and discriminatory. Imagine how all these young boys must feel hearing the show prattle on about shit like "the male ego" and how they don't matter any more. Imagine how all these older men who have been watching the show loyally since the Classic era must feel. I can only imagine the deep sense of betrayal they must have felt when the Doctor hoped that the future will be "all girl".

Peter Capaldi well and truly got fucked over by the absolutely abysmal writing. I'm not even sure Tom Baker or William Hartnell could have done a good job in his shoes.

Yes that was an absolutely contemptible moment.

Its hilarious how bigoted these people are. Imagine if this shit happened in reverse where we had an iconic female hero actually say that she didn't want to be a woman anymore because women were all up themselves.

How embarrassing for Peter Capaldi as a man saying those lines. Its like a black actor in the 30s having to play a horrible, demeaning racist stereotype.

iank

iank

I'm not a fan. Maybe it wasn't his fault, maybe he secretly despises what he was made to do and be in, but I haven't seen any indication of it. Either way it doesn't change anything. He took the New Who shilling, and there's no way he didn't (unlike, say, Eccles) know what he's getting into by this point. I certainly didn't see him objecting to the repugnant bastardisation of the 1st Doctor. You're not telling me, if Crapoldie really was this much of a supposed fanboy, that he couldn't have done something about that, in his last story? They could hardly have sacked him.
I judge him as guilty as sin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

iank wrote:I'm not a fan. Maybe it wasn't his fault, maybe he secretly despises what he was made to do and be in, but I haven't seen any indication of it. Either way it doesn't change anything. He took the New Who shilling, and there's no way he didn't (unlike, say, Eccles) know what he's getting into by this point. I certainly didn't see him objecting to the repugnant bastardisation of the 1st Doctor. You're not telling me, if Crapoldie really was this much of a supposed fanboy, that he couldn't have done something about that, in his last story? They could hardly have sacked him.

I agree with you. I also have never got people who say he is so brilliant as an actor either, "wooden" might be nearer the mark despite his forced attempts to emote. Being a bug eyed drunk isn't exactly stellar material to work with but he could definitely have attempted to have a go at trimming back the offensive Moffisms.

With the new Doctor Who being basically a spinoff pushing far left diversity with another medium talent in the role Doctor Who really did die in the Capaldi era and he is heavily responsible for that just as equally untalented fellow "scot" "Sylvester McCoy" was a big part of why it died in the 1980s.

People gushing over Capaldi are like the fans who kidded themselves tha McCoy was playing some amazing multi-layered character. He really wasn't.

iank

iank

Yawn.
I really don't need McCoy bashers agreeing with me, so bite me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

burrunjor

burrunjor

I certainly didn't see him objecting to the repugnant bastardisation of the 1st Doctor. You're not telling me, if Crapoldie really was this much of a supposed fanboy, that he couldn't have done something about that, in his last story? They could hardly have sacked him.

Fair points, but maybe he was worried about being black listed. After all we know what bullying cunts the SJWs are, so maybe his hands were tied. We'll probably know in a few years what he thinks.

I forgot about the bastardization of the first Doctor. God there are just so many things to hate about 12's era you sometimes forget one.

Boofer

Boofer

iank wrote:Yawn.
I really don't need McCoy bashers agreeing with me, so bite me.

He was a bit crap though, wasn't he?

LOL

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

McCoy was awesome.

Capaldi was a good choice but it was naive to think his Doctor would have writing conducive to the sort of Doctor he was supposed to be. Even more naive was expecting the public to warm to a cold and alien Doctor post Tennant. Matt Smith only just about got away with being slightly eccentric in a very calculated and eventually laboured way. It seems doubtful whether an actor who looks genuinely odd or behaves in a genuinely alien way (unemotional and distant) will ever inhabit the role again.

Here's my summary of what the Capaldi era could and should have been:

Peter Capaldi has unfortunately been wasted during his time on the series. The style and tone of writing just isn't conducive to the kind of Doctor in essence he is and that is in the tradition of the first four Doctors particularly Hartnell, Pertwee and Tom Baker.

The problem is that the revived series is far too concerned with exploring emotions rather than idea driven plots where the emotional content is secondary. As well as this Capaldi's Doctor should have been allowed to have free reign to be an aloof and emotionally reserved unashamedly alien Doctor rather than apologetically softening him into a weak humanistic portrayal which stifled the character. I put the blame for this firmly on the tenth Doctor who has mandated that every subsequent Doctor has to toe the line between touchy-feely or comedic.

Capaldi's Doctor never felt at ease in this mould and so much time was wasted in his first two series' on his dreary relationship with Clara when what his Doctor was crying out for was dispassionate atmospheric yarns straight out of the Pertwee or early Tom Baker years which exist in a vacuum from modern culture (popular or otherwise).

Unfortunately and unsurprisingly these stories never came and what we're left with is a few mere tantalizing hints at what Capaldi's era could have been if only there had been a major shift in tone away from the constant extolling of humanity (it'd be nice to have a Doctor not enamoured by humans and who teaches us rather than the other way round). Capaldi's era was also blighted by cloying emotionalism, comedy sitcom banter, pointless topical dialogue and knotty storytelling which is far too clever for its own good. Not to mention the subtle as a sledgehammer social agendas which have been wrenched into the stories.

So in my opinion Capaldi's era will go down in history as what could and should have been rather than what was.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Kaled hygiene wrote:Capaldi was a good choice but it was naive to think his Doctor would have writing conducive to the sort of Doctor he was supposed to be. Even more naive was expecting the public to warm to a cold and alien Doctor post Tennant. Matt Smith only just about got away with being slightly eccentric in a very calculated and eventually laboured way. It seems doubtful whether an actor who looks genuinely odd or behaves in a genuinely alien way (unemotional and distant) will ever inhabit the role again.

Here's my summary of what the Capaldi era could and should have been:

Peter Capaldi has unfortunately been wasted during his time on the series. The style and tone of writing just isn't conducive to the kind of Doctor in essence he is and that is in the tradition of the first four Doctors particularly Hartnell, Pertwee and Tom Baker.

The problem is that the revived series is far too concerned with exploring emotions rather than idea driven plots where the emotional content is secondary. As well as this Capaldi's Doctor should have been allowed to have free reign to be an aloof and emotionally reserved unashamedly alien Doctor rather than apologetically softening him into a weak humanistic portrayal which stifled the character. I put the blame for this firmly on the tenth Doctor who has mandated that every subsequent Doctor has to toe the line between touchy-feely or comedic.

Capaldi's Doctor never felt at ease in this mould and so much time was wasted in his first two series' on his dreary relationship with Clara when what his Doctor was crying out for was dispassionate atmospheric yarns straight out of the Pertwee or early Tom Baker years which exist in a vacuum from modern culture (popular or otherwise).

Unfortunately and unsurprisingly these stories never came and what we're left with is a few mere tantalizing hints at what Capaldi's era could have been if only there had been a major shift in tone away from the constant extolling of humanity (it'd be nice to have a Doctor not enamoured by humans and who teaches us rather than the other way round). Capaldi's era was also blighted by cloying emotionalism, comedy sitcom banter, pointless topical dialogue and knotty storytelling which is far too clever for its own good. Not to mention the subtle as a sledgehammer social agendas which have been wrenched into the stories.

So in my opinion Capaldi's era will go down in history as what could and should have been rather than what was.

Welcome to the forum! That was a very well written piece and I agree with many of your points. For me, I always thought the Capaldi era might have been the turning point for new who. We were promised a darker atmosphere and that things would be more like the classic series. I was very excited that Doctor Who in the modern era might actually be good for a change. It was all lies. It ended up being WORSE than before.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I just wanted to wade in and say that I don't give a shit.

Moff fucked Peter's era so it doesn't matter. Woulda, coulda, shoulda... couldn't care less

Boofer

Boofer

Mr. Happy wrote:I just wanted to wade in and say that I don't give a shit.

Moff fucked Peter's era so it doesn't matter. Woulda, coulda, shoulda... couldn't care less

CommanderMaxil1983 wrote:
Welcome to the forum! That was a very well written piece and I agree with many of your points.

Thanks.
CommanderMaxil1983 wrote:For me, I always thought the Capaldi era might have been the turning point for new who. We were promised a darker atmosphere and that things would be more like the classic series. I was very excited that Doctor Who in the modern era might actually be good for a change. It was all lies. It ended up being WORSE than before.

For justice to be done to Capaldi I should think you'd have to throw out the entire nu who formula and start again from scratch. It was never going to happen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum