edgelord
stengos
Kaijuko
burrunjor
Defeatment
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1How good is Blake's 7? Empty How good is Blake's 7? 12th February 2018, 6:31 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Proper intelligent show with some incredibly witty dialogue and engaging story arcs. I prefer the later seasons with Avon in command of the Liberator and Scorpio although series 1 and 2 had the awesome "Travis vs Blake" stuff that kept me on the edge of my seat.

A series not afraid to show the consequences of violence and foolishness. Constant lapses of judgement and the inability to trust one another lead the crew into real danger on many occasions. With some talented writers, scores by the late Dudley Simpson and fairly good acting from the main stars make Blake's 7 a science fiction classic that everyone should give a go.

2How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 12th February 2018, 7:46 pm

Defeatment

I'm grateful we had the series. I rolled with the punches when comedians would take pot shots at the show.
Not really listened to Big Finish but then I don't really like what they're doing but a couple of other thousand do.
We clearly won't see it's like again. But if people can't see past the costumes etc, then shows like The Orville are tailor made for people like that!

3How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 12th February 2018, 8:40 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Love Blake's 7. It was a favourite show of mine growing up and Avon is a brilliant character.

4How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 12th February 2018, 8:56 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:Love Blake's 7. It was a favourite show of mine growing up and Avon is a brilliant character.

He sure is. My favourites were Tarrant and Soolin. I remember you saying you liked Cally quite a bit as well.

Blake, Sand, Sarcophagus (which I think you rated quite highly when we originally spoke the about the show) Duel, Terminal and Gambit are my favourite episodes.

5How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 12th February 2018, 9:11 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I prefer Sand over Sarcophagus. Tanith Lee is highly rated but I think neither were her best. Blakes 7 is seriously underrated and forgotten about. It's a fucking crime!

6How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 12th February 2018, 9:12 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

One of the things that annoys me about Gareth Thomas leaving because he was getting teased by his Royal Shakespeare mates is that he did Star Maidens, FFS!

7How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 12th February 2018, 9:38 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Mr. Happy wrote:I prefer Sand over Sarcophagus. Tanith Lee is highly rated but I think neither were her best. Blakes 7 is seriously underrated and forgotten about. It's a fucking crime!

Many people do. I think both are underrated and unique. Both episodes are superbly directed also. Yeah, and the people that do have vague memories of it trash it completely. It all holds up remarkably well and, unlike most shows, never really went downhill. It started out strong and ended even stronger.

8How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 20th June 2019, 12:03 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

9How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 20th June 2019, 9:17 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Rawkuss wrote:One of the things that annoys me about Gareth Thomas leaving because he was getting teased by his Royal Shakespeare mates is that he did Star Maidens, FFS!

I have a guilty pleasure/fondness for 'Star Maidens'.  It looks like a cheapo version of Season 2 Space 1999 with added silliness and extra space babes.

How good is Blake's 7? Aaa_st11

10How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 20th June 2019, 9:52 am

stengos

stengos

Rawkuss wrote:One of the things that annoys me about Gareth Thomas leaving because he was getting teased by his Royal Shakespeare mates is that he did Star Maidens, FFS!

In fairness Star Maidens preceeded B7 - 1976 as opposed to 1978. So its not like Gareth left B7 and then did Star Maidens.

I read that one of the key reasons Gareth left B7 was because he wanted to do more behind the scenes work on the series - e.g., direct a few episodes - but the production team said "no". So i guess if they had been more willing to compromise Gareth may still have been on board the Liberator in season 3.

11How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 20th June 2019, 12:42 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

stengos wrote:

In fairness Star Maidens preceeded B7 - 1976 as opposed to 1978. So its not like Gareth left B7 and then did Star Maidens.

Never said it was that. My whole point was that is previous actions undermined his later reasoning.

If he did want more behind the scenes work then I am not surprised the production team said no. Although, I haven't heard that before.

12How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 20th June 2019, 12:56 pm

edgelord

The series improved infinitely after Thomas left so........

13How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 20th June 2019, 1:06 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Does anyone reckon we will see this on Blu Ray anytime soon? Very Happy

14How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th October 2019, 7:07 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Blakes 7 at the Open University LOL

15How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th October 2019, 7:08 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

16How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th October 2019, 9:47 pm

REDACTED

Just finished seeing the first series for the first time since transmission. Quite great so far!

Gonna start the second series soon....

17How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 31st October 2019, 8:38 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I really need to watch this again. I got the rare "Avon" novel from my local charity shop for only £1. Sellers on Amazon are charging more than £38 for a copy. Fair to say I got a bit of a bargain Big Grin

18How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 31st October 2019, 8:39 am

iank

iank

Could never get into it, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

19How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 16th January 2020, 7:32 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Kind of interesting

https://splanky.livejournal.com/271895.html

Still say Sarcophagus was her best script and she should have written for DW

20How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 16th January 2020, 7:52 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

I like Sarcophagus. It's kind of an odd one though. Taken by itself, I think it's probably one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen, but as a Blakes 7 episode it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the series - almost like it took the B7 characters out of Blakes 7 and put them down in a different show entirely.

21How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th February 2020, 11:56 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Every episode ranked:

The Way Back 9/10
Spacefall 6/10
Cygnus Alpha 7/10
Time Squad 7/10
The Web 5/10
Seek-Locate-Destroy 9/10
Mission to Destiny 6/10
Duel 10/10
Project Avalon 8/10
Breakdown 6/10
Bounty 5/10
Deliverance 7/10
Orac 8/10
Redemption 6/10
Shadow 7/10
Weapon 7/10
Horizon 6/10
Pressure Point 10/10
Trial 8/10
Killer 7/10
Hostage 7/10
Countdown 8/10
Voice from the Past 1/10
Gambit 8/10
The Keeper 7/10
Star One 9/10
Aftermath 8/10
Powerplay 10/10
Volcano 6/10
Dawn of the Gods 5/10
Harvest of Kairos 6/10
The City at the Edge of the World 7/10
Children of Auron 6/10
Rumours of Death 8/10
Sarcophagus 10/10
Ultraworld 6/10
Moloch 5/10
Death-Watch 8/10
Terminal 9/10
Rescue 10/10
Power 7/10
Traitor 7/10
Stardrive 8/10
Animals 9/10
Headhunter 7/10
Assassin 6/10
Games 7/10
Sand 10/10
Gold 9/10
Orbit 8/10
Warlord 7/10
Blake 10/10

22How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th February 2020, 12:07 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Power is a 7/10? I would rate it minus 7 out of 10. One of the single worst pieces of television I've ever seen. It exceeds most of New Who.

My fave episodes would have to be Spacefall, Duel, Orac, Pressure Point, Trial, Countdown, Star One, Aftermath, Powerplay, Sarchophagus, Terminal, Rescue, Orbit, Sand and Blake.

Those episodes represent some of the best sci fi ever put to tv.

Incidentally I've started another Terry Nation series Survivors. I've almost finished the first series, and so far I'd say its been excellent. Easily up to the standard of his best work elsewhere.

It baffles me that so many New Who fans can look down on his writing. The man was one of the greatest tv writers of the 20th century.

23How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th February 2020, 12:12 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:Power is a 7/10? I would rate it minus 7 out of 10. One of the single worst pieces of television I've ever seen. It exceeds most of New Who.

My fave episodes would have to be Spacefall, Duel, Orac, Pressure Point, Trial, Countdown, Star One, Aftermath, Powerplay, Sarchophagus, Terminal, Rescue, Orbit, Sand (barring the excrutiating girl next door convo between Tarrant and Servalan, though I'd move in with Jacqueline Pearce in a heartbeat.) and Blake.

Those episodes represent some of the best sci fi ever put to tv.

Incidentally I've started another Terry Nation series Survivors. I've almost finished the first series, and so far I'd say its been excellent. Easily up to the standard of his best work elsewhere.

It baffles me that so many New Who fans can look down on his writing. The man was one of the greatest tv writers of the 20th century.

The only problem I have with Power is the fact that Soolin is nowhere to be seen until the end. It's actually quite a funny script despite the usual Ben Steed sexism. Moloch is his worst because the stuff with Doran is a tad dodgy.

"Ahh, my problem was always women."

"You like them?"

"No."

24How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th February 2020, 12:18 pm

REDACTED

Finished the last season in January. Not as great as the first two and slightly weaker than three but there was still a lot in there I liked despite being many more clunkers than the past three seasons. The last three episodes were lush. Classic television that we'll never see the likes of again.

25How good is Blake's 7? Empty Re: How good is Blake's 7? 14th February 2020, 12:20 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:Finished the last season in January. Not as great as the first two and slightly weaker than three but there was still a lot in there I liked despite being many more clunkers than the past three seasons. The last three episodes were lush. Classic television that we'll never see the likes of again.

Series 4 rules. I would love for Soolin to jump my bone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum