You are not connected. Please login or register

Cringey moment of virtue signalling

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cringey moment of virtue signalling Empty Cringey moment of virtue signalling 12th February 2018, 8:20 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Its hilarious when you think of the scenes from New Who that the BBC uploads as their greatest hits.

You see this sums up why I hate New Who.

It never is consistent. It just goes wherever it can virtue signal.

Just earlier in this same episode the Doctor made out that 19th century England was more black than the history books make it out too be, and black people were shown to be living alongside white people no problem.

Here however this guy if anything was even more racist than your average white person would have been then?

When you have a black character go backwards in time to a period when they were second class citizens there are two things you can do.

1/ Make it like Xena and Hercules, IE so historically inaccurate that nobody will even notice, so you can have as many black characters as you want and it makes no difference.

2/ Make it accurate and address the racism in a subtle way, where it doesn't take over the plot, but you aren't covering up what the people went through like in Remembrance where Ace finds the sign hanging outside the door of a woman she thought was quite nice.

New Who however tries to have both so that it can score PC points with its Whovian Feminism audience.

Lets make it like Xena one minute, so we can have lots of black characters and score representation points. Then next minute lets have the Doctor punch a guy who again if anything is a caricature of people back then.

We saw the same shit with the first Doctor too. One minute Moff makes out that ALL Time Lords are non binary. Apparently they don't even notice gender differences to the point where Capaldi couldn't even remember if Hartnell was a woman or not. Moff throws in that ridiculous rewriting of the lore to pander to the feminists.

Then next week the first Doctor despite coming from a society with no gender differences and having always had the possibility of turning into a woman, is a raving sexist and implied racist and homophobe so that Moff can virtue signal by having his Doctor tell him off?

Its just further proof that this pandering shit has hurt the series, as the narrative and characterisation from one scene to the next can be disregarded as long as the writer has a chance to show how NOT racist and NOT sexist they are to a bunch of blue haired, self centered, spoiled brats.

2Cringey moment of virtue signalling Empty Re: Cringey moment of virtue signalling 12th February 2018, 12:55 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Ah, yes. The man who abhors violence. As you can see, NuWho really captured the essence of the Doctor's character brilliantly.

Can we go back to the good ol' days when Doctor Who was just a fun Sci-Fi adventure show which just focused on telling good stories rather than cringe worthy PC posturing? Is that really too much to ask for?

3Cringey moment of virtue signalling Empty Re: Cringey moment of virtue signalling 12th February 2018, 6:24 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Fuck me, I had forgotten all about this. I was truly amazed at how forced and stupid it was at the time No, I didn't cheer or find it very clever. The younger fans probably all clapped their hands together like demented seals. As I said, bring back Saward to write a couple of gritty bloodbaths with characters in actual danger. The modern crowd would be crying in their cereal LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum