You are not connected. Please login or register

Greetings - new here

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Greetings - new here Empty Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 11:20 am

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

Hello all - yes, there was actually an incarnation of the Doctor that Fox/BBC experimented with who lead a double life as an awkward Harvard student and spent most of his time listening to The Beach Boys or dating Japanese women.

Dunno why they didn't run with it.

Anyway.

Ok, now the real me.

I've been a fan of Doctor Who since a very young age (circa six years old - bless my Dad for getting me into it).

Born in 1990 (yes, a millennial but not one of those ones) and grew up renting the VHS tapes from these things called "video libraries".

I've been lurking this forum for a while but finally decided to join as it's come to my attention that the show is in fact truly dead. I'm convinced that nothing which has transpired in this current era can be retconned, reversed or entirely written out of canon. It's done.

Therefore, i'm declaring my allegiance here to the (mostly) sane good (mostly) folk of this forum, especially given the morass i've had to endure at GB.

I'm going to dive right in, but thought i'd best introduce myself so you're not wondering why:

1) Some weird asshat with the persona of a has-been rocker is suddenly posting

AND/OR

2) Whether the aforementioned has-been rocker is actually Rivers Cuomo since he clearly has no spare time lately due to the lockdown procedures along with the fact that his upcoming record has been shelved or delayed

2Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 11:29 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I wish you a very warm welcome to the forum!

3Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 11:31 am

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

Cheers - nice signature!

4Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 11:36 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Greetings. That's a few people we've had come from Gallifreybase in the last few days LOL.

It's almost as though it's a weird, cultish, cliquey place that nobody wants to go near anymore? Big Grin

Welcome to the Hive, I'm pretty much the same as you in terms of how I was introduced to the show via VHS in the 90s. (Ah good times. People called it a wilderness, but I loved it. DW was the old classic you had respect for and enjoyed, but you also had plenty of new good series to enjoy like Xena and Buffy, rather than basterdisation's of old classics like Picard, STD, and Jodie era Who.)

Unlike you I hold out hope that one day this shit fest will be retconned. I think t's possible we just need to make a stand for the dear old Doctor.

5Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 11:40 am

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

Thank you.

Oh, I have hope that the ailments can be corrected.

But how?

It was all a dream?

I should also confess: i stopped watching the show once Capaldi left the show. I have not seen ANY of the Whittaker era but i've read up on it. So, I kind of don't have the capacity to complain.

Though:

- Despite Chibnall saying there would be no social agenda, we were greeted to a glass ceiling trailer along with Whittaker prattling on about her feminism

- Companions no longer being called companions

- The Timeless Child (again, i haven't actually seen it but....my god.....)

- Paul Cornell's recent contributions (and I loved the Tennant two partner. LOVED IT)

The show just isn't interested in having me as a fan. Fine.

But that is a lot of damage to undo.

6Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 11:41 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

TheCuomoDoctor wrote:Cheers - nice signature!

Thanks! I like your posting style. I'm sure you're going to fit in nicely here.

7Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 11:56 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheCuomoDoctor wrote:Thank you.

But how?

It was all a dream?

I should also confess: i stopped watching the show once Capaldi left the show. I have not seen ANY of the Whittaker era but i've read up on it. So, I kind of don't have the capacity to complain.

Though:

- Despite Chibnall saying there would be no social agenda, we were greeted to a glass ceiling trailer along with Whittaker prattling on about her feminism

- Paul Cornell's recent contributions (and I loved the Tennant two partner. LOVED IT)

Well my theory, it's not ideal is just to split Classic Who, New Who and Jodie Who into three alternate universes.

It's not ideal, as you don't want to keep chopping things up into alternate universes, but it is the only way forward.

Give the show a rest for a few years, bring it back with a MALE Doctor, and then once he is established have him casually mention "I'm on my 9th life."

Then later do a story where a Doctor from another universe crosses over into this one, and have it be Capaldi, who can't regenerate anymore after he refused to in The Doctor Falls.

Then have another alternate universe character called The Timeless Child and bam, DW is freed from the shackles of the Fitzroy Crowd.

The Timeless Child would be the last Timelord from an alternate universe that was sent through to another universe, with an unlimited ability to regenerate and a Matirx in her head. (With her job being to find a primitive society and turn them into the new Time Lords to ensure their society goes on.)

However she was found by Tecteun first who experimented on her and extracted regeneration for her people, and the knowledge of the Time Lords from her brain. They later brainwashed the Timeless Child into being the Doctor (who they knew from the Matrix records.)

Again it's not perfect but it can write out this shit fest. Also it frees the show from many restraints. The next version of DW can actually end when he reaches his 13th life, then the next can follow another 9th Doctor in another universe, and again you can link it to the third DW, by having one of it's Doctors cross over from another universe.

That way Classic Who can be safe from any potential sequel. The original series can stand on its own, whilst you as a viewer are free to choose which if any of the sequels take place in the same universe as Classic Who, or if Classic Who is just another universe with a same history.

This way we can also canonise Shalka, even the Cushing movies as being other universes. It's the only way forward in my opinion. TBH I think DW would have had to have done this eventually. It couldn't keep going on in the one story forever, but ideally the switch to another universe should have happened after the 13th Doctors death, but well New Who has caused us to jump universes after either McCoy or McGann.

8Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 12:02 pm

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

burrunjor wrote:

But how?

It was all a dream?

Though:

Well my theory, it's not ideal is just to split Classic Who, New Who and Jodie Who into three alternate universes.

It's not ideal, as you don't want to keep chopping things up into alternate universes, but it is the only way forward.

Actually, this is the ideal situation - this has my vote.

But we all know it won't happen, no matter how logical.

It's a shame because Capaldi's finale works fine as an overall finale for the series because it has the perfectly fitting themes: age, acceptance, answering to your sins. I'm actually shopping around: if there's a version of this episode where it is cropped just before Whittaker materialises, i'll watch that one.

Oh yes - just give us a McGann series. I even have some of his Doctor's books.

9Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 12:05 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheCuomoDoctor wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

But how?

It was all a dream?

Though:

Actually, this is the ideal situation - this has my vote.

But we all know it won't happen, no matter how logical.

It's a shame because Capaldi's finale works fine as an overall finale for the series because it has the perfectly fitting themes: age, acceptance, answering to your sins. I'm actually shopping around: if there's a version of this episode where it is cropped just before Whittaker materialises, i'll watch that one.

Oh yes - just give us a McGann series. I even have some of his Doctor's books.

It might happen. Look at Ghostbusters. That was similarly ruined, but is now going back to the original canon.

I think our best bet is an animated series that does this, is popular and therefore sets the template for the next live action sequel to do this. That is more likely as the Beeb would want the animated series to be separate. We could even get McGann back for a few animated series before he changes into the 9th Doctor whoever HE is.

10Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 12:10 pm

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

I'm a fan of NuWho (until Whittaker that is), so i'm not wanting a recast for Nine.

But, to play devil's advocate:

Greetings - new here 450?cb=20160317014715

And why the hell not?

Eccleston doesn't want to come back while Hurt "effectively" filled his space.

Plus, it allows the Ninth Doctor to have a complete arc rather than having to rob the Doctor of an actual arc and just insert one for mere convenience.

11Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 12:25 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheCuomoDoctor wrote:I'm a fan of NuWho (until Whittaker that is), so i'm not wanting a recast for Nine.

But, to play devil's advocate:

Greetings - new here 450?cb=20160317014715

And why the hell not?

Eccleston doesn't want to come back while Hurt "effectively" filled his space.

Plus, it allows the Ninth Doctor to have a complete arc rather than having to rob the Doctor of an actual arc and just insert one for mere convenience.

Sadly John Hurt passed away in 2017. He was one of my fave actors. I was devastated. He did do a few audios before his death which I'm told were quite good.

I don't think that this insults New Who pre Jodie per say. Like I said we were always going to have to change universes at some point. It couldn't reach the year 2050 and we were still following canon from 1963. You'd have to junk the canon sooner or later.

(Also it just get's boring after a while. Characters like The Master, Davros, the Daleks etc, all eventually reach their natural end and you have to keep undoing their endings for the sake of having them back.)

Had New Who been a faithful sequel, then the ending would have come at Doctor 13. He is only supposed to live 13 lives, so end it there and wrap up Davros, the Master, the Daleks etc. Then jump to a new universe, with a new story for all of them.

New Who however like I said has forced us to jump universes by not ever being faithful.

This way however it's not just simply forgotten about. It is still canon, just in a different universe. You can have characters cross over from the New Who universe, or alternate versions of New Who characters. Like for instance maybe Martha in the new universe could be the head of UNIT?

Also this way like I said you can still think of New Who as taking place in the same universe as Classic Who if you want, and the new sequel or any new sequels are alternate realities.

IMO everybody wins. Though at least we are all agree that the Timeless Children needs severed from all universes LOL.

12Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 1:09 pm

#BeKind

#BeKind

GRAET ANOHTER STR8 WHITE MALE PEICE OF SHIT WHO TIHNKS HIS OPINIENS MATTER JUST WHAT THIS PLACE NEEDS

https://doctorwhofeministfront.tumblr.com

13Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 2:36 pm

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

Weezer do have a song about a transvestite?

14Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 30th April 2020, 10:10 pm

iank

iank

Welcome to the Happiest Place on Earth! Wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

15Greetings - new here Empty Re: Greetings - new here 1st May 2020, 12:21 am

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

Oh no doubt that it is, Ian K!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: