Rank the New Who Companions

+4
Genkimonk
iank
burrunjor
Mr Spadge
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rank the New Who Companions Empty Rank the New Who Companions 12th June 2017, 10:36 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Go.

1/ Captain Jack Harkness: The most likable, and also had the best story arc too. John Barrowman also really made the role his own. I'd go as far as to say John Barrowman is a modern sci fi icon, not just for this role but also his part on Arrow who is as different as you can imagine from Jack. Torchwood was a bit meh, but still great character. I'm just sad he wasn't with 11.

2/ Martha Jones: The most straight forward and likable of the main women. No big last minute super powers to make her the most important person in all of creation. She was just a strong, capable, and brave person who saved the world through her own wits, and we also got to see her grow properly as a person too. I wasn't too keen on her luuuurve for the Doctor, but other than that great character and Freema much like John Barrowman has gone on to have an amazing career since.

3/ Amy and Rory: Some aspects of their story arc were a bit lame, but overall two great characters. I loved the actors chemistry not only with each other, but with Matt too. They were as good a trio as Tom, Ian Marter and Lis Sladen IMO.

4/ Mickey: I liked his story arc and his relationship with the Doctor improving. Noel Clarke is also very likable, but at times he could be a bit too whiney.

5/ Osgood and Kate: Kate is a bit wet, and Osgood though by far and away the cutest character in the history of DW has also sadly been in some of the worst stories on tv ever made. Still I do like the idea of a new UNIT family and they have been much better utilised in the audios.

6/ The Paternoster Gang: I liked them at first, and they are a good idea, but they kind of became a bit cringey in later episodes, like their 5 min conversation with Clara about flirting!

7/ Wilfred Mott: I felt his relationship with 10 was a bit OTT, but still you got to love Bernard Cribbins.

8/ Rose: I liked her at first, but she did become a creators pet, and her relationship with 10 was awful. Also she set a bad precedent in a number of ways of the companions home life having to take over the show, the companion having to be the chosen one, the companion wanting to fuck the Doctor etc.

9/ Donna: An okay if completely overrated companion. I knock points off for the dreadful way her story arc ended with the Doctor Donna nonsense.

10/ Bill Potts: A very bland character. At this stage she might seem better than she is because of Clara. I don't mind Pearl Mackie as an actress, and Bill does have her moments, but we've seen it all before with Bill.

11/ Clara: I did like Clara in season 7 as Jenna and Matt's chemistry was among the best. However she completely undermined the Doctor, took over the show and became more obnoxious as time went on, slapping him, being intolerably smug etc.

2Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 12th June 2017, 10:55 am

iank

iank

Amy
Rory
Rose series 1
Martha
Jack (if he really counts)
Donna/Bill
Rose Mark 2/Clara

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 13th June 2017, 6:45 am

Mr Spadge

Mr Spadge

As an ageing sexist from a time when companions were evaluated on their TA&L appeal (Zoe, Jo, Liz, Perrie, yum, slurp, arghhhh), my old chap hasn't been too enthusiastic about most of the latter day bunch.

But Clara, hmmmm …. yeah I'd happily wreck that.

4Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 13th June 2017, 10:30 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mr Spadge wrote:As an ageing sexist from a time when companions were evaluated on their TA&L appeal (Zoe, Jo, Liz, Perrie, yum, slurp, arghhhh), my old chap hasn't been too enthusiastic about most of the latter day bunch.

But Clara, hmmmm …. yeah I'd happily wreck that.

Osgood and Martha are way above Clara IMO.

I can't decide what look suits Osgood the most though?

Tomboy?

Cute, shy geek?

Or blonde valley girl?

She can rock any look. I don't know why she isn't in more things though?

5Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 13th June 2017, 10:49 am

iank

iank

Kazza's the most attractive New Who girl by miles IMO. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

6Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 16th June 2017, 1:52 pm

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

Wilf was the best because he was actually played by someone who had talent..

7Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 26th September 2018, 12:42 pm

shan164

I will just say again that I thought Freema got the short end of the stick. After what I thought was a very good 1-2 start for a new companion, first with Smith and Jones and then The Shakespeare Code -

(... and as a side note, to the show's eternal credit in relation to that episode, at no point did they ever even allude to ... "Three Witches, did you see what we did here, did you?" - instead they just trusted the audience to work it out with that one.)

- things sort of went on to slide downhill for her character overtime and I absolutely hated it that they had her character mooning over the Doctor while he kept moaning about Rose without even noticing (I loathed it when they did the compressed version to Sarah Jane of all people). Then, only really getting a season in total (plus a bit kind of later) left her with a very choppy and truncated story.

The less said about Martha and Mickey's final scene (I don't remember them having any more, did they?) the better. That really came out of nowhere and did both their character's a disservice.

What I would like - obviously not if Freema's not interested - would be to bring her back - preferably for a full season because both characters in universe can grow as people as well as the actors who play them in real life. I thought it would be interesting to see - also to mix up the fact that otherwise the Doctor on TV seems to be remarkably compartmentalised into discrete blocks - you could almost date and order it by companion eras as one example. So, mixing it up with the history of the show and bringing someone back from relatively before would be nice too.

8Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 15th February 2020, 8:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

1.Clara

2. Martha
3. Amy & Rory
4. Rose (Series 1)
5. Mickey
6. Bill
7. Captain Jack
8. Nardole
9. Donna
10. Rose (Series 2)

9Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 15th February 2020, 8:25 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
5/ Osgood and Kate: Kate is a bit wet

Probably because she hangs around with Osgood a lot Wink

10Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 15th February 2020, 8:29 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

1. Donna
2. Rory
3. Martha
4. Nardole
5. Bill
6. Amy
7. Rose
8. Clara

11Rank the New Who Companions Empty Re: Rank the New Who Companions 15th February 2020, 8:45 pm

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

1. Donna
2. Rory
3. Jack
4. Martha
5. Mickey
6. Clara
7. Amy
8. Bill
9. Handles
10. Rose