You are not connected. Please login or register

'Decolonising' Academia

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1'Decolonising' Academia Empty 'Decolonising' Academia 2nd November 2019, 9:45 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

So, I've heard a few mentions of this concept but I hadn't read much on the subject until just now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/30/cambridge-university-decolonisation-row-spreads-students-target/

I still can't decipher what exactly these people think they want.

'to examine whether courses are too dominated by white, male, Euro-centric perspectives'

So 'perspectives' are subjective, so I guess we should be ruling out hard science like Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry ... at least most of Biology, Geography, Medicine etc. - where 'perspective' is obviously irrelevant ... right?

''decolonising Physics reading group' is up and running'

What the fuck.

'The Geography Faculty is described as being “fairly far ahead” in its efforts to decolonise the curriculum'

'Chemistry, Medicine and Engineering are all featured on the list of subjects that have been earmarked for further campaigning'

What the utter fuck do these inquiries actually consist of.

Effectively the entirety of these subjects - in their current state - were developed by white/male/Europeans so are they going to what, dismiss the most essential subject material to the best of their ability in order to favour whatever other non-white/female/non-Europeans may have worked on?

That's literally the only way this could make sense and it's incredibly stupid. If this worked you would be actively harming people's education where it matters.

'(The movement was) predominantly borne out of the frustration of students of colour who have not seen their history reflected in their textbooks.'

If they're immigrants - what do they expect? If they're British, does your skin colour really have to define what your 'history' is?

I don't know man. This is so fucking stupid I don't even know how to argue with it. I don't even know what the fuck they're talking about - but they probably don't either tbh.

2'Decolonising' Academia Empty Re: 'Decolonising' Academia 2nd November 2019, 9:59 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

TiberiusDidNothingWrong wrote:Effectively the entirety of these subjects - in their current state - were developed by white/male/Europeans so are they going to what, dismiss the most essential subject material to the best of their ability in order to favour whatever other non-white/female/non-Europeans may have worked on?

Yep. That's exactly what they're suggesting. Shudder

3'Decolonising' Academia Empty Re: 'Decolonising' Academia 2nd November 2019, 10:07 pm

iank

iank

It's certainly time academia - like the media - was purged of these Commies.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum