Least favourite movie from each decade

+4
ClockworkOcean
iank
Tanmann
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Least favourite movie from each decade 3rd October 2019, 5:54 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The worst I've seen from the 60s onwards.

1960s: Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)
1970s: Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)
1980s: Perfect (1985)
1990s: To The Limit (1995)
2000s: Home Alone 4 (2002)
2010s: I Feel Pretty (2018)

2Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 3rd October 2019, 6:49 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

1970's: Caligula
1980's: Superman 4: The Quest For Peace
1990's: Showgirls
2000's: The Wicker Man
2010's: Batman Vs. Superman or The Last Airbender or The Last Jedi.

3Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 3rd October 2019, 8:57 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

1970s: Coffe
1980s: Red Dawn
1990s: An America Werewolf in Paris
2000s: American Wedding
2010s: The Last Jedi

4Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 3rd October 2019, 9:45 pm

iank

iank

I dunno. There's tons of shit I just avoid altogether, and I tend to either turn off or just forget the crap ones I do watch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

5Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 8th October 2019, 1:59 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:
1980's: Superman 4: The Quest For Peace

That movie had some great music:

I love Lacy so much Embarassed

6Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 30th October 2019, 3:00 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

The worst I’ve seen this decade is unquestionably The Last Jedi. One of the most insultingly moronic and smug films I have seen in recent memory, and one where all of the logistics in the script are completely non-existent. Each character from the original films is belittled covertly or overtly, the tone is all over the fucking place, and the acting is almost entirely dreadful (Gleeson is hammy as fuck, Daisy Ridley is about as bland and vacuous as it gets, Isaac and Boyega are stuck playing idiotic caricatures, and Driver’s character is so schizophrenic that it hinders his performance considerably). It’s a film that I would cite as a clear endorsement of the postmodernist philosophy that seems to influence so much of modern media (the contrived sentiment of “letting the past die”, which Kylo, Luke and Yoda all accept for no discernible narrative reason, is exemplary of this). There may be more technically inept films made this decade, but none are smug, self-congratulatory yet simultaneously anti-intellectual as The Last Jedi.

I can’t really say concerning the rest of the decades. I might need to think about those for now.

7Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 30th October 2019, 5:21 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Bernard Marx wrote:The worst I’ve seen this decade is unquestionably The Last Jedi. One of the most insultingly moronic and smug films I have seen in recent memory, and one where all of the logistics in the script are completely non-existent. Each character from the original films is belittled covertly or overtly, the tone is all over the fucking place, and the acting is almost entirely dreadful (Gleeson is hammy as fuck, Daisy Ridley is about as bland and vacuous as it gets, Isaac and Boyega are stuck playing idiotic caricatures, and Driver’s character is so schizophrenic that it hinders his performance considerably). It’s a film that I would cite as a clear endorsement of the postmodernist philosophy that seems to influence so much of modern media (the contrived sentiment of “letting the past die”, which Kylo, Luke and Yoda all accept for no discernible narrative reason, is exemplary of this). There may be more technically inept films made this decade, but none are  smug, self-congratulatory yet simultaneously anti-intellectual as The Last Jedi.

I've already said everything there is to say about that atrocity, but I will add that it was even more disappointing to me because I was actually a big fan of Johnson's previous work. I knew him as the exceptionally gifted director behind Breaking Bad's Ozymandias, quite possibly the finest hour of television this decade has produced. I had no reason to suspect he'd turn out to be such a horrendous storyteller or such a disgusting human being, so it was a bitter pill to swallow.

8Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 30th October 2019, 5:26 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

ClockworkOcean wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:The worst I’ve seen this decade is unquestionably The Last Jedi. One of the most insultingly moronic and smug films I have seen in recent memory, and one where all of the logistics in the script are completely non-existent. Each character from the original films is belittled covertly or overtly, the tone is all over the fucking place, and the acting is almost entirely dreadful (Gleeson is hammy as fuck, Daisy Ridley is about as bland and vacuous as it gets, Isaac and Boyega are stuck playing idiotic caricatures, and Driver’s character is so schizophrenic that it hinders his performance considerably). It’s a film that I would cite as a clear endorsement of the postmodernist philosophy that seems to influence so much of modern media (the contrived sentiment of “letting the past die”, which Kylo, Luke and Yoda all accept for no discernible narrative reason, is exemplary of this). There may be more technically inept films made this decade, but none are  smug, self-congratulatory yet simultaneously anti-intellectual as The Last Jedi.

I've already said everything there is to say about that atrocity, but I will add that it was even more disappointing to me because I was actually a big fan of Johnson's previous work. I knew him as the exceptionally gifted director behind Breaking Bad's Ozymandias, quite possibly the finest hour of television this decade has produced. I had no reason to suspect he'd turn out to be such a horrendous storyteller or such a disgusting human being, so it was a bitter pill to swallow.
Seconded. Ozymandias is a work of fucking beauty and a genuinely harrowing and brilliantly constructed piece of TV, and I was stunned by the gulf in quality. Mind you, I am now convinced that the reason it was so well directed is likely because Gilligan kept Johnson’s ego in check and brought out the best in him. I thought Looper was tremendously overrated, and he both wrote and directed it similar to The Last Jedi. He’s probably a very good visual director when restrained by others around him, but he’s a fucking awful writer, and his moronic, hyperbolic and frankly immature Twitter responses to criticism of the film just highlight how deluded he really is about his ability in that field.

9Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 7th January 2020, 7:02 pm

Mott1

Mott1

1960s - The Italian Job. Jingoistic, dated romp that's badly directed.

1970s - A Clockwork Orange. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Malcolm McDowell is far better in stuff like "If".

1980s - Spaceballs. Saw it again recently - perhaps Mel Brooks' least inspired movie (even more than the Robin Hood parody).

1990s - Batman And Robin. How George Clooney's career survived this is a mystery: it makes Batman Forever look understated.

2000s - No Country For Old Men. I don't care all the critics shot their loads over it - it's rambling, has a ridiculous bad guy and has no ending at all.

2010s - Hot Tub Time Machine. Woefully crude comedy with horrible characters - the modern cinematic curse.

10Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 7th January 2020, 7:41 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

There are several movies on these lists that I did like: the 1979 Caligula, Spaceballs, Hot Tub Time Machine (one of the few movies from the 2010s that didn't suck). Hot Tub Time Machine II was awful though.

1990s - Strictly Ballroom (Worst movie I've ever seen)

11Least favourite movie from each decade Empty Re: Least favourite movie from each decade 7th January 2020, 7:45 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Batman & Robin is a visual masterpiece. The world needs more neon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum