+6
Zarius
Bernard Marx
Pepsi Maxil
Ludders
stengos
Tanmann
10 posters

Which of these season openers is the absolute worst?

Worst New Who season opener I_vote_lcap8%Worst New Who season opener I_vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Worst New Who season opener I_vote_lcap15%Worst New Who season opener I_vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Worst New Who season opener I_vote_lcap0%Worst New Who season opener I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Worst New Who season opener I_vote_lcap8%Worst New Who season opener I_vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Worst New Who season opener I_vote_lcap0%Worst New Who season opener I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Worst New Who season opener I_vote_lcap46%Worst New Who season opener I_vote_rcap 46% [ 6 ]
Worst New Who season opener I_vote_lcap15%Worst New Who season opener I_vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Worst New Who season opener Empty Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 10:38 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Some truly awful stories here (though I do rather like the openers of series 5 and 6), but which is the absolute worst?

2Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 10:47 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

No contest.

It's gotta be Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar.

I fucking hated that story so much. The Doctor going into yet *another* self-imposed medieval recluse. The pointless tank scene that drags like mud. The cheap shock tactics and fake-outs. The utter impotence of the Daleks. The pointless retconning of Davros' childhood and his creation of the Daleks allowing them to understand mercy, thereby ruining Genesis of the Daleks and everything that made the Daleks what they are. The downright nasty, pointless and sadistic way Capaldi's taken for a mug by Missy and nearly goaded into killing Clara whilst she's helpless to be heard by him.

Seriously, it makes New Earth look like The Godfather by comparison.

3Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 10:52 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Tanmann wrote:No contest.

It's gotta be Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar.

I fucking hated that story so much. The Doctor going into yet *another* self-imposed medieval recluse. The pointless tank scene that drags like mud. The cheap shock tactics and fake-outs. The utter impotence of the Daleks. The pointless retconning of Davros' childhood and his creation of the Daleks allowing them to understand mercy, thereby ruining Genesis of the Daleks and everything that made the Daleks what they are. The downright nasty, pointless and sadistic way Capaldi's taken for a mug by Missy and nearly goaded into killing Clara whilst she's helpless to be heard by him.

Seriously, it makes New Earth look like The Godfather by comparison.
I’d also argue that it makes Partners in Crime look like a fucking Dostoyevsky novel. LOL

I completely agree- it is a truly shite piece of work that only exists to piss all over Genesis Of The Daleks and the entire legacy of the Daleks themselves. The only thing I’m unsure of is whether it exceeds Death In Heaven in terms of awfulness.

4Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 11:11 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Bernard Marx wrote:The only thing I’m unsure of is whether it exceeds Death In Heaven in terms of awfulness.

Oh boy...

Certainly at the time it felt like nothing could be worse than Death in Heaven, and there's no way Moffat could ever pull off at least something that *shocking* again.

But it certainly felt afterwards like The Witch's Familiar had achieved the impossible.

5Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 12:22 pm

stengos

stengos

Magician' Apprentice / Witch's Familiar.

6Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 1:23 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Partners in Crime.

7Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 1:43 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Urgh, Partners in Crime is truly dire. I started to lose interest in Doctor Who shortly after that. The stuff I was watching on Nickelodeon at the time was more intelligent and engaging than that crap.

8Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 1:54 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

It is profoundly shit on so many levels- it’s crass, moronic and celebratory of mediocrity. All things Doctor Who should never be.

9Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 5:38 pm

Zarius

Zarius

New Earth.

I was a massive bell-end cheerleader apologist for the RTD era at the time, but even then I had standards. Wink

10Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 5:47 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Asylum of the Daleks. Complete fucking shite from start to finish. If that is supposed to be the scariest Dalek story, then it massively failed. New Earth is pretty bad as well.

11Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 8:27 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

As much as I resent voting for anything not written by Chibnall, it's got to be The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar, for reasons already outlined by Tanmann.

12Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 15th August 2019, 10:29 pm

iank

iank

I enjoy the 5/6/8/10 openers, but the rest suck. I'm going for New Earth since it was my first real moment of "This is fucking shit" with New Who, only to be utterly flabbergasted by all the zombies proclaiming it a comedy masterpiece on Outpost Dickheads.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

13Worst New Who season opener Empty Re: Worst New Who season opener 16th August 2019, 10:09 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I voted for the Capaldi dalek double-parter dud. On a par with Death In Heaven, frankly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum