You are not connected. Please login or register

Would Doctor Who work as an animated series?

+6
iank
stengos
burrunjor
ClockworkOcean
Pepsi Maxil
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhziu5Vp7xI&t=148s

I recently watched this insightful video, and I absolutely believe that Doctor Who would work as an animated series. In fact, I would prefer Doctor Who to go the animation route, whether it is for mature audiences or not. There's so much potential and imaginative concepts that animation could bring ideas forward. I know that there are some people who object to the idea of animation because some people would say that the stories would be too childish but personally, I actually think animation can make subjects more mature yet subtle.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:
there are some people who object to the idea of animation because some people would say that the stories would be too childish

Have they seen some of the live action stories recently?

I'd definitely get behind an animated series if it was set during the classic series.

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

If it were well-written and set during the classic series with no NuWho references, I see no reason why it couldn't work. Given that not even Big Finish is safe these days, I wouldn't trust anyone to do it right now, but in the distant future, it could be a good way of getting ambitious stories on screen without the commercial pressure of a massive budget. Ideally, I'd like to see better animation than the cheap, soulless, generic-looking crap seen in Scream of the Shalka, The Infinite Quest, and the missing episode reconstructions. The BBC can surely do better than that.

burrunjor

burrunjor

I've been suggesting this for years. I believe I may have made a previous thread here about it? A DW animated series is the perfect solution.

It wouldn't be held back by the larger budget, it could be an alternate sequel with a new 9-13th Doctors, you could cast actors who might be too old otherwise to play the role.

Also being aimed at a more niche audience it could focus back on sci, take time to tell its stories and generally be a return to Classic Who.

stengos

stengos

Licensed by the BBC it would most likely follow on from NuWho. The BBC consider that to have been a commercial success - at least re the RTD years. I just can't imagine them going back to the McCoy years and following on from that. Why would they?

So i don't really see how it could be better than what we get now. Indeed if it costs less to produce than the live action series they'd be more likely to continue the SJW agenda with either Whittaker or another actress and, because its a cartoon, dump it on CBBC or CBeebies.

In theory it is a nice idea but i think its realisation would probably be a nightmare.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The Dalek Empire spin-off audios would've made a fantastic anime-style TV series.

So would a lot of the McGann audios.

iank

iank

I agree with stengos. It'd be shite.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Commander Maxil wrote:
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:
there are some people who object to the idea of animation because some people would say that the stories would be too childish

Have they seen some of the live action stories recently?

I'd definitely get behind an animated series if it was set during the classic series.

When I say that some people object to the idea of an animated series, I'm more talking about the people who object to the basic core of animation as a whole, calling animation childish, regardless of the stories being mature. It's actually one of my personal pet peeves whenever someone I come across to says something like this (I might have to create a new topic talking about my love for animation).

I also absolutely understand ClockworkOcean's and Stengos' concerns with this approach, considering of the BBC's current status and their work ethics. Ideally, I would like the animated Doctor Who series to be done by a separate IP altogether like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim or Netflix as they would have much better resources and not be bound back by the BBC's politics and strict budget. God, a Doctor Who story in the animation style and fluidity of Castlevania or Gravity Falls/Steven Universe would be a dream come true for me. But like the Whovian Chaser has stated (the creator of the video that I posted as a link), chances of that happening are unfortunately minuscule.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

In regards Adult Swim, I certainly felt like Rick and Morty (at least its first two seasons) filled the void left by Doctor Who of late for me. I daresay it almost seemed to pick up where Season 15 left off.

So a cartoon Doctor Who in that style would be something I'd definitely welcome.

Khalid

Khalid

Sharaz, sharaz tumal. Balor, balor. Sharaz, sharaz tumal balor balor.

Eddie Hitler

Eddie Hitler

Yarp.

Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein

My father likes that show. He prefers the ones with the curly haired man who always wears a scarf. I remember seeing an episode and thinking "wow, this is heavy!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum