bryanbraddock
iank
ClockworkOcean
Mott1
BillPatJonTom
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty How Would You Fix Doctor Who 21st January 2019, 6:57 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

This is the post that provoked all of those lovely responses on GB Big Grin

Last edited by burrunjor on 14th July 2019, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

2How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 21st January 2019, 8:40 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'd do naff all .There's no reason for it to continue anymore. It simply doesn't provide the entertainment that the show is duty bound to offer.

I honestly envy those that sat and watched "The War Machines" in the summer of 1966. Modern London, machines, action, hip companions, a mystery. That serial aired in a time when Doctor Who was made simply to entertain. I'm sure the audience would sit by their TV screens and wonder what kind of trouble the old man and his companions would get into in the upcoming episode. The series is so empty and worthless now. Even with the superior budget, you can't buy the magic that made the classic series so special.

Doctor Who will never be Doctor Who again.

3How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 21st January 2019, 9:32 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

Have zero faith in the current BBC being capable of producing anything even resembling the classic series quality. It's pure fantasy now the brand's been effectively poisoned by New Who and so difficult to imagine Doctor Who ever being fixed again.
Still it's interesting to speculate even if any such concept might be impossible. My own fantasy version of Who might star a Peter Cushing style Doctor I think - à la Hammer's Frankenstein character though rather than the Amicus Dalek films version! Of course yes bloody hard to cast any new actor convincing as a scientist, an adventurer with potential for being ruthless at times. He should be accompanied by a sexy intelligent companion with plenty of  jeopardy going on and occasional humour but emphasis very much on horror/science fiction and a variety of story lines and characters.
Crucially, key elements from original Who should be restored - including cliffhangers. Most of the 'New Who' formula could be discarded but surprisingly it might still be possible for a fresh series to avoid alienating the entirety of New Who fans (if any still exist!) because any reboot could after all be imagined as the result of RTD's 'Time War' generating different alternate universes!
That could indeed explain the original series continuing from a fresh starting point as an alternative time line, some point after the McGann Doctor perhaps. Anyway I quite like that idea because it avoids any further involvement with New Who altogether.
If only!

4How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 22nd January 2019, 10:51 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Sigh these responses are depressing. Not for the same reasons as GB LOL. That was depressing because of the stupidity on display, but in this case it does make me feel that DW is really dead as even its most die hard fans have given up on it ever being DW again.

Last edited by burrunjor on 14th July 2019, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

5How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 22nd January 2019, 1:08 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

Completely agree burrunjor - some thoughtful suggestions there for casting too.
You're right about how the old show was perceived in terms of horror content. Might sound an old cliché but it was indeed known back in the day as the show kids hid behind the sofa to watch!
There was always a certain eerie quality right from the very beginning with classic Who, and I think that was reflected in the way it captured kids' imagination.
I clearly remember the impact of stories in the 70s like Spearhead from Space with its homicidal rampaging shop window dummies and Terror of the Autons with its sinister carnival masks and deadly daffodils (showing me age a bit there lol).
In a show as long running as Who, horror elements tended to vary of course, being particularly prominent during the Hinchcliffe era which was by no mere coincidence when its popularity was soaring. The peak was probably stories like Morbius, Seeds, Deadly Assassin and Talons. When they tried to rein in the horror, after the gutless BBC caved in to Mary Whitehouse's complaints, I always felt the show risked losing what actually made it successful. They did still occasionally retain something of the horror factor, or at least the grotesque, even into the 80s - what you cited from Ghost Light being a good late example.
Incidentally I recall a scene from The Two Doctors when Jacqueline Pearce falls to the ground to lick up blood being more suggestive of a Jean Rollin movie than a kids' tv show! LOL
Any possibility of a Who revival must take advantage of this rich vein of horror that was part of the old show's substance.
No wonder we get so downhearted about Doctor Who now that its reputation feels lower than ever. But the current version of Who isn't really Who at all - it's just the product of a lunatic agenda that prevails for the time being. Maybe it's worth reminding proponents of New Who who like to espouse the virtues of change that nothing lasts forever. So there might still be hope that, as Tom's Doc suggests at the close of Genesis, out of evil must come something good.

6How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 22nd January 2019, 1:33 pm

Mott1

Mott1

No great shock from me sorry burronjor - I don't think it should come back until the current toxic culture gets its overdue backlash. Can you imagine a savage, cynical Colin Baker era now, or Hinchcliffe-era horror, or even early Jon-era moral grey areas?

The BBC wouldn't know what to do with it... and they won't sell it til the Jodie debacle is all but forgotten because it would admit it failed and make them not look very nice.

7How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 22nd January 2019, 3:14 pm

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

Doctor Who will never die.
Doctor Who on TV however needs a long,long rest.

Not saying another 15 years, but certainly more than 2 or 3.
Not only does the general public have to become interested in the show again, which requires a certain amount of nostalgia,we need the best part of a decade for the last few years of nuwho to fade from the memory, and also more importantly it's vital that society has returned to some kind of normalcy after the current far left woke era is finally over.

At the moment the industry is run by ideologues catering to the tastes of the toxic Millennial generation. Luckily Generation Z seems to be reacting against the current value systems of virtue signaling and diversity above all else mentality. The next generation seem on the whole to be more center, center right and are drawn towards meritocracy.

7 years to a decade in the wilderness and then a return to the traditional values of doctor who.

8How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 23rd January 2019, 8:39 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

An alternate sequel that disregards NuWho would be great, but I simply can’t imagine it happening at any point in the foreseeable future. It still seems like a pipe dream. The BBC aren’t going to sell their most lucrative property anytime soon, and even if they did, what’s to guarantee that the next lot to gain control of the brand won’t be yet another bunch of hateful, conceited postmodernist bigots? In today’s entertainment industry, the sci-fi franchises that haven’t been hijacked by these scumbags are the exception.

The only viable solution in the relative short-term is an Orville, by which I don’t mean a parody (we already have one of those), but something that’s Doctor Who in all but name. Similar enough to be the legitimate spiritual successor to Classic Who, but just different enough to avoid copyright lawsuits. A high-concept sci-fi horror show about an eccentric, mysterious, time travelling explorer and his companions, mostly serialised with the opportunity for occasional self-contained stories. No soap opera crap, no sexual elements, no political posturing. Just a well-written, unapologetic sci-fi/fantasy/horror adventure series that doesn’t water anything down or patronise its audience. An updated take on Classic Who with greater creative freedom and a respectable budget.

It could be a challenge copyright-wise, but someone who cared enough could surely find ways around it. For instance, instead of a police box, how about an old, battered-looking door that magically appears and vanishes? It could work, and there’d definitely be an audience for it – just not the sort of audience that thinks fetid trash like Series 11 is quality television.

9How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 23rd January 2019, 9:17 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

BillPatJonTom wrote:Completely agree burrunjor - some thoughtful suggestions there for casting too.

Thanks. Dana Delorenzo would make the best ever companion and you could NEVER do the sappy crap with her. She would necessitate a return to action.

Last edited by burrunjor on 14th July 2019, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

10How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 23rd January 2019, 9:55 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote: season 24 was also when they had to pander to her and its the worst of the Classic era.

Season 24 was great. Crazy comic book style adventures, better locations, colourful characters and a much clearer vision than the previous year. Season 23 is the real nadir of the classic series. The fact we got that instead of a third Tripods series is an absolute disgrace.

11How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 24th January 2019, 11:56 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Commander Maxil wrote:
burrunjor wrote: season 24 was also when they had to pander to her and its the worst of the Classic era.

Season 24 was great. Crazy comic book style adventures, better locations, colourful characters and a much clearer vision than the previous year. Season 23 is the real nadir of the classic series. The fact we got that instead of a third Tripods series is an absolute disgrace.

Sorry IMO the most embarrassing stuff is in season 24. Michael Grade forced them to make it more silly in an effort to kill the show. Having said that its still leaps and bounds above a good chunk of New Who.

12How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 25th January 2019, 12:47 am

iank

iank

Commander Maxil wrote:

Agree entirely. Trial is the bottom of the barrel for classic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

13How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 25th January 2019, 2:03 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

ClockworkOcean wrote:An alternate sequel that disregards NuWho would be great, but I simply can’t imagine it happening at any point in the foreseeable future. It still seems like a pipe dream. The BBC aren’t going to sell their most lucrative property anytime soon, and even if they did, what’s to guarantee that the next lot to gain control of the brand won’t be yet another bunch of hateful, conceited postmodernist bigots? In today’s entertainment industry, the sci-fi franchises that haven’t been hijacked by these scumbags are the exception.

The only viable solution in the relative short-term is an Orville, by which I don’t mean a parody (we already have one of those), but something that’s Doctor Who in all but name. Similar enough to be the legitimate spiritual successor to Classic Who, but just different enough to avoid copyright lawsuits. A high-concept sci-fi horror show about an eccentric, mysterious, time travelling explorer and his companions, mostly serialised with the opportunity for occasional self-contained stories. No soap opera crap, no sexual elements, no political posturing. Just a well-written, unapologetic sci-fi/fantasy/horror adventure series that doesn’t water anything down or patronise its audience. An updated take on Classic Who with greater creative freedom and a respectable budget.

It could be a challenge copyright-wise, but someone who cared enough could surely find ways around it. For instance, instead of a police box, how about an old, battered-looking door that magically appears and vanishes? It could work, and there’d definitely be an audience for it – just not the sort of audience that thinks fetid trash like Series 11 is quality television.

I'm doing two time travelling sequel series on my blog alongside an alternate sequel to Classic Who. I'll be starting all 3 next week.

One called The Circus Master will revolve around a time travelling circus made up of various supernatural creatures, from various different times, led by The Circus Master, a reformed, soul sucking Demon called a Vandal.

Another will be Professor Fang about a time travelling Vampire who flies through time and space in a giant bat shaped space ship.

Both serious are going to try and blend horror and sci fi. IMO it might be quite interesting to see how creatures like Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts etc could exist in the far future in a Metropolis, Star Trek style environment or on a far away planet. We can also explore ancient myths about Demons and monsters all over the world, as well more traditional modern day horror and supernatural stories.

All 3 will run in a serialised format, with one part per week.

I'm having to write the first series of all 3 out of necessity NOT choice, but I hope next year I can get more writers in.

If only someone with more talent and resources than I would try and do an alternate sequel or alternate time travel series, but ah well I might as well try.

Anyone know when the copyright runs out for the BBC? If Doctor Who became public domain then it would all be fixed. The Beeb really haven't ever deserved the brand lets be honest.

14How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 7th February 2019, 1:04 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I can't imagine any actor or writer wanting to be associated with the show.

Last edited by burrunjor on 14th July 2019, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

15How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 7th February 2019, 4:53 pm

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

burrunjor wrote:The thread I made of this topic on Gallifrey Base just got locked, after I was banned, and the moderators edited one of my posts to make it look like I was insulting Bowlestrek and Nerdrotic as horrible, pathetic people.

"The story is not acceptable. This is a very difficult, very delicate position. We must adjust the truth" - Borussa

This is a really disturbing development. This is Stalinist behavior.
Locking threads,removing posts and banning people is despicable cowardly behavior, but if the mods really are retroactively editing peoples posts to change their original meaning that is a new level of low. It really does go to prove just how sick and toxic that place has become, and how scared these people are about the state of the show.

16How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 3rd March 2019, 3:20 pm

Asexual Doctor
Celibate companions
Pure Historicals

Companions from different time periods e.g. a Eunuch from the Ottoman Empire.

The stories should exist in a vaccum from the contamination of modern day culture.

A universe where natural laws cannot be transcended through 'love conquers all' storylines. Being in love with a puddle cannot magically resurrect you from the dead.

Scientific accuracy or at the very least not blatant contempt for scientific realism.

Instead of a box ticking diversity quota let's have some genuinely diverse companions not anchored to modern day culture.

For all NuWho's ethnic diversity there appears to be a uniformity underlying the personality of the companions. Usually they are attractive, confident and outgoing young females. The classic series was much better at representing different sorts of people such as eccentrics like Binro and Tommy in Planet of the Spiders. Sympathetic male characters like those would never be allowed anywhere near a Doctor Who script now.

17How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 3rd March 2019, 4:50 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Season 22 format needs to come back. Have two fourty five minute episodes make up one story. Spend the first half of episode one world building, setting up the plot, introducing the key players and then have the Doctor and his companion arrive slap bang in the middle of it. Episode 2 will be where the action really ramps-up. The decision to make every single story only one episode long in Series 11 was a horrible, not to mention lazy, mistake.

18How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 4th March 2019, 10:45 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Welcome to the Hive I have enjoyed reading your posts so far.

I don't think a companion has to be celibate. I think a good compromise at first would be a romance between the companions.

Last edited by burrunjor on 14th July 2019, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

19How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 6th March 2019, 5:22 pm

burrunjor wrote:

I don't think a companion has to be celibate. I think a good compromise at first would be a romance between the companions.

We have to remember that a whole generation has grown up with New Who, and so we can't just ignore them (which is why I prefer the alternate universe approach, as that way New Who can be connected, but you still have a clean slate.)

Not all New Who fans are nasty, SJW morons. Indeed the fact that the majority of even New Who fans HATE Jodie, and that viewers went off a cliff after the introduction of Missy shows that the majority of actual New Who fans hate identity politics too.

I think a lot of them are people who just like the Doctor as more of a romantic, relatable superhero like Barry Allen or Peter Parker.

Making the Doctor romantic wasn't just appealing for fangirls, but fanboys too. He became a hero they could look up to, a kind of role model (which IMO he should never be. He should be distant, mysterious and more of a grandfather figure like in Tomb of the Cybermen when he's helping Victoria overcome her grief about her dad. That is the quintessential Doctor moment for me.)

Suddenly turning him into an old, distant alien again however would be quite jarring, but you can work round that. Have two companions, a male and a female and have a romance develop between them. Don't let it take over the show. Have the companions come from different times, so that there is no soap opera, revisiting their homes etc.

Make the male companion a strong character, not a cuck following her around. Do that and you can ease new viewers into the Doctor being the more alien, distant character again, by still having a romance, but not let it take over. You can then phase it out slowly to the point where its like Old Who again.

I do agree that Old Who was better at showing us more genuinely eccenrtic characters.

You only have to look at the actors who played the Doctor.

In old Who the actors who played the Doctor were already known for playing quite daring, bold, frightening, even controversial roles.

Look at William Hartnell. He not only often played villains, thugs and violent characters. (He was even referred to as Britain's leading screen menace at one point.) One of his favourite roles pre Doctor Who was in This Sporting Life where he played a closeted homosexual man.

Remember back then homosexuality was illegal! To even hint at a gay character in something was really risky. Similarly Partick Troughton often appeared in horror movies or in weird character parts both before and after like Jason and the Argonauts and Scars of Dracula, Jon Pertwee was an eccentric performer, who after Doctor Who went on to play a Scarecrow in a show so weird that it took him years to get it made.

Tom Baker meanwhile played villains and intense roles pre Who like Rasputin, whilst Colin similarly was known for playing villains, and McCoy is the definition of a quirky character actor, with his biggest non Who role being a crazy wizard who gets stoned off of mushrooms and talks to animals!

A lot of the New Who Doctors have been in comparison, ordinary leads, known for playing conventional roles like Jodie or Tennant. Jodie is best known for appearing in things like Broadchurch, a dime a dozen, dreary crime series of which there are bloody thousands. Hardly the same as Worzel Gummidge, or This Sporting Life or Rasputin!

This is another reason I prefer Julian Richings and Dana Delorenzo as my ideal cast. They too are unusual performers who are known for playing intense roles. One is an actress whose most famous role involves smashing people's heads in with hammers, and gouging their eyes out, whilst another is a guy whose best known role is playing the Grim Reaper!

You need to go for actors like that in order to really get the Doctor right IMO. Though I remember one New Who fan telling me that Julian Richings was a terrible choice because he looked like William Hartnell!

That IMO shows what a real uphill battle it is to take the character back to his roots, and why some compromise, like a more romantic companion would be needed at first to ease the transition.  

Thank you for the kind reply.

It's such a shame that a television programme especially one that comes under the umbrella of Sci-Fi can't be made without including romantic subplots. In a way the 'stiff upper lip' which pervaded the BBC when the classic series was being made ironically made Doctor Who far more progressive in terms of appealing to a gay and asexual audience. The modern series is much more family orientated, calculating and plain cynical about what it thinks the modern audience expects and panders to the lowest expectations of the restless prime-time audience. It would have been unthinkable to have allowed Capaldi free reign to be the cold, distant and alien Doctor his regeneration was crying out for and his portrayal was softened into an eccentric uncle with a typical NuWho infatuation with his companion.

20How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 7th March 2019, 6:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:

Sorry IMO the most embarrassing stuff is in season 24. Michael Grade forced them to make it more silly in an effort to kill the show. Having said that its still leaps and bounds above a good chunk of New Who.

I respect your opinion. I will say that Season 24 is probably my favourite season at the moment. I had an absolute whale of time when I watched it again a few weeks ago.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too harsh on Trial. I actually quite like Vervoids and Ultimate Foe. I just can't get over my initial disappointment of it when I first watched it. The second section really lets the whole thing down considerably.

21How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 7th March 2019, 9:12 pm

iank

iank

It's impossible to be too harsh on Trial.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

22How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 7th March 2019, 9:25 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

How Would You Fix Doctor Who Giphy

Why does there have to be a nadir? Trial was fine.

23How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 7th March 2019, 9:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I think fans at the time deserved something more than just fine. Some of it holds up well, but it just feels so disconnected to Season 22. It barely feels like the same era.

24How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 8th March 2019, 4:07 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Kaled Hygiene wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

We have to remember that a whole generation has grown up with New Who, and so we can't just ignore them (which is why I prefer the alternate universe approach, as that way New Who can be connected, but you still have a clean slate.)

Not all New Who fans are nasty, SJW morons. Indeed the fact that the majority of even New Who fans HATE Jodie, and that viewers went off a cliff after the introduction of Missy shows that the majority of actual New Who fans hate identity politics too.

I think a lot of them are people who just like the Doctor as more of a romantic, relatable superhero like Barry Allen or Peter Parker.

Making the Doctor romantic wasn't just appealing for fangirls, but fanboys too. He became a hero they could look up to, a kind of role model (which IMO he should never be. He should be distant, mysterious and more of a grandfather figure like in Tomb of the Cybermen when he's helping Victoria overcome her grief about her dad. That is the quintessential Doctor moment for me.)

Suddenly turning him into an old, distant alien again however would be quite jarring, but you can work round that. Have two companions, a male and a female and have a romance develop between them. Don't let it take over the show. Have the companions come from different times, so that there is no soap opera, revisiting their homes etc.

Make the male companion a strong character, not a cuck following her around. Do that and you can ease new viewers into the Doctor being the more alien, distant character again, by still having a romance, but not let it take over. You can then phase it out slowly to the point where its like Old Who again.

I do agree that Old Who was better at showing us more genuinely eccenrtic characters.

You only have to look at the actors who played the Doctor.

In old Who the actors who played the Doctor were already known for playing quite daring, bold, frightening, even controversial roles.

Look at William Hartnell. He not only often played villains, thugs and violent characters. (He was even referred to as Britain's leading screen menace at one point.) One of his favourite roles pre Doctor Who was in This Sporting Life where he played a closeted homosexual man.

Remember back then homosexuality was illegal! To even hint at a gay character in something was really risky. Similarly Partick Troughton often appeared in horror movies or in weird character parts both before and after like Jason and the Argonauts and Scars of Dracula, Jon Pertwee was an eccentric performer, who after Doctor Who went on to play a Scarecrow in a show so weird that it took him years to get it made.

Tom Baker meanwhile played villains and intense roles pre Who like Rasputin, whilst Colin similarly was known for playing villains, and McCoy is the definition of a quirky character actor, with his biggest non Who role being a crazy wizard who gets stoned off of mushrooms and talks to animals!

A lot of the New Who Doctors have been in comparison, ordinary leads, known for playing conventional roles like Jodie or Tennant. Jodie is best known for appearing in things like Broadchurch, a dime a dozen, dreary crime series of which there are bloody thousands. Hardly the same as Worzel Gummidge, or This Sporting Life or Rasputin!

This is another reason I prefer Julian Richings and Dana Delorenzo as my ideal cast. They too are unusual performers who are known for playing intense roles. One is an actress whose most famous role involves smashing people's heads in with hammers, and gouging their eyes out, whilst another is a guy whose best known role is playing the Grim Reaper!

You need to go for actors like that in order to really get the Doctor right IMO. Though I remember one New Who fan telling me that Julian Richings was a terrible choice because he looked like William Hartnell!

That IMO shows what a real uphill battle it is to take the character back to his roots, and why some compromise, like a more romantic companion would be needed at first to ease the transition.  

Thank you for the kind reply.

It's such a shame that a television programme especially one that comes under the umbrella of Sci-Fi can't be made without including romantic subplots. In a way the 'stiff upper lip' which pervaded the BBC when the classic series was being made ironically made Doctor Who far more progressive in terms of appealing to a gay and asexual audience. The modern series is much more family orientated, calculating and plain cynical about what it thinks the modern audience expects and panders to the lowest expectations of the restless prime-time audience. It would have been unthinkable to have allowed Capaldi free reign to be the cold, distant and alien Doctor his regeneration was crying out for and his portrayal was softened into an eccentric uncle with a typical NuWho infatuation with his companion.  

I too get annoyed at romance having to be brought into every sci fi series and dominating it.

Not saying you can't have any romance, but I do feel that sci fi is the only genre that has to be compromised all the time. Romance, westerns, crime thrillers are allowed to be what they are unashamedly.

When its sci fi however you get people like RTD, Paul Cornell and Jon Blum demanding that it be compromised in order to get people who don't like sci fi into it, like making it a soap, focusing more on having a romance than sci fi, or setting it on earth constantly.

I think it stems from the fact that Sci fi fans are self loathing fanboys a lot of the time who desperately run with the cool kids (or who they think the cool kids are.)

I think that the modern Doctor would have to be someone that you simply could not have ANY romance with. At this stage I wouldn't even cast a Matt Smith or a Peter Davison. Even Peter Capaldi, though he was older, he was known for playing mad, bad and dangerous to know characters, so you can see how they might try and tailor him to being a romantic lead that way, which they did.

You'd need to go for an actor who was a good bit older, than even Capaldi, known for playing really weird parts and who would bring a lot of edge to the part.

Again this is why I favour Julian Richings, as he is like William Hartnell in that there is no way you could ever make him romantic.

How Would You Fix Doctor Who William-Hartnell

How Would You Fix Doctor Who 6x11-Appointment-in-Samarra-death-supernatural-27524953-1280-720

After him you could have a Matt Smith or a Peter Davison as the template would be set for a more alien Doctor. At first however you'd need a Richings/Hartnell style actor for the Doctor.

25How Would You Fix Doctor Who Empty Re: How Would You Fix Doctor Who 25th August 2019, 9:26 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'd use Super Glue. That always works.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum