You are not connected. Please login or register

Who else is fed up with hearing about how representation matters?

+4
burrunjor
DeadManRising
Mott1
Genkimonk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

burrunjor

burrunjor

Representation did matter back in the 50s and 60s. Back then our society was genuinely racist, sexist and homophobic. So when a black child saw something like Dan Dare and Star Trek where black people were treated as equals, and even figures of authority, then that would help to counteract the racist propaganda they were forced to endure around them.

However in the modern world whilst I'm not saying our society is perfect, it isn't racist, sexist or homophobic. Everyone DOES have equal rights, and if you were to say something racist, or sexist at your work, then yo'd be fired and made a social pariah.

So no representation is no longer needed. I'm not saying don't make anything with black, female, LGBT heroes. Make as many as you want. If they are good I'll judge them on their own merits, like I did with Red Dwarf, Blade and Xena, all of which I adore.

However don't force representation into everything. You don't get to decide how other people tell their stories, and you don't have a right to change other people's characters to your liking.

Some characters might be set as one gender or race, even just because that's their look, and some shows work best with a less diverse cast (and yes that applies both ways. Xena is female dominated, Doctor Who WAS male dominated. Bottom is male centric, Ab Fab is female centric. None of those 4 shows are helped by artificially making them more diverse. You just mess with their winning formulas.)

Also whenever there IS a black, female character, stop making out its unusual. Its a shame that in the 90s we were more progressive because this shit wasn't everywhere. Hence why nobody even commented on Blade and Red Dwarf starring black guys, but this bullshit Black Panther movie has been nothing but race baiting.

Furthermore if you are someone who still needs representation then I think you are pathetic quite frankly.

To start with what, you can't enjoy a character unless they are EXACTLY like you? Second why bother defining yourself by a part of your personality to the point where apparently you are completely represented by that?

All these twats that go on about how they want to see a gay character because then they will see themselves? What if this gay character has completely the opposite political beliefs to you? What if they are deeply religious and you are an Atheist? What if they are a huge Stones fan and you are more of a Beatles guy? What if they support the opposite football team to you? What if they are a shallow airhead who thinks science is boring, and you are a science geek?

Will this character still represent you despite being the total opposite of you, just because you both like to fuck the same type of people? Even then, they might have a totally different taste in men to you. You might like skinny nerdy guys, they might be a chubby chaser, or someone who likes Chad type guys.

Its ridiculous and narcissistic and at this stage is just putting labels on people and is dragging us back to the fucking 50s.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:All these twats that go on about how they want to see a gay character because then they will see themselves? What if this gay character has completely the opposite political beliefs to you? What if they are deeply religious and you are an Atheist? What if they are a huge Stones fan and you are more of a Beatles guy? What if they support the opposite football team to you? What if they are a shallow airhead who thinks science is boring, and you are a science geek?

Will this character still represent you despite being the total opposite of you, just because you both like to fuck the same type of people? Even then, they might have a totally different taste in men to you. You might like skinny nerdy guys, they might be a chubby chaser, or someone who likes Chad type guys.

If the character is well written it shouldn't matter what race, gender, sexuality they are. You'll like them regardless.

Last edited by CommanderMaxil1983 on 5th March 2018, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a diverse cast of characters in TV shows or movies. However when you start to mess around with iconic and established character roles just to score PC points or place a higher priority on filling arbitrary and pointless diversity quotas rather than simply selecting the best actors/actresses for the job, then that's when things start to become problematic.

iank

iank

One of the most "diverse" casts I've ever seen was on DS9 in the 90s. And they didn't go on about it, and nobody gave a stuff.
We've actually regressed in almost every area since the 90s, it's so sad. And pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

We've degressed. And may I just add that the most neglected community, the disabled, still get the least representation. Probably why no one seems to hate the Tories have killed thousands of them.

Boofer

Boofer

Genkimonk wrote:We've degressed. And may I just add that the most neglected community, the disabled, still get the least  representation. Probably why no one seems to hate the Tories have killed thousands of them.

Quite right, Monk.

One day we'll look back at what they've done in the same way we look at the holocaust now.

That's not hyperbole either. The facts demonstrate a systematic purge of the disabled by dint of legislation.

They know exactly what they are doing to people.

Mott1

Mott1

burrunjor

burrunjor

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a diverse cast of characters in TV shows or movies. However when you start to mess around with iconic and established character roles just to score PC points or place a higher priority on filling arbitrary and pointless diversity quotas rather than simply selecting the best actors/actresses for the job, then that's when things start to become problematic.

Quite agree, though only thing I will add is that sometimes you can't ignore a characters gender when casting them.

Some characters are set as men, and some as women too. Sometimes you can change the gender and it will work, but even then you will still be changing the dynamic.

Like look at Elementary. Its a good series, but Watson and Holmes in that show aren't the Watson and Holmes from the book. To start with there is the sexual tension, where Holmes gets a bit jealous of her and Mycroft sleeping together, which obviously isn't the Holmes from the novel. Granted people since Conan Doyle have added a gay subtext, but even then that's not the same as the Holmes and Watson from Elementary's relationship.

Ditto the female Moriarity. Its obviously impossible to imagine her as being the same villain as Eric Porter.

Now whether audiences will accept those changes is another thing. In regards to a female Doctor, I'd say they won't because this is meant to be the same character. It would be like if Eric Porter did actually change into Jamie Moriarty.

It makes me laugh though the way that SJWs claim that the gender of an actor playing a role doesn't matter one bit, yet the race and nationality do?

After all uber cucks like Mr Tardis Reviews always bitch about white washing, and things like Tiger Lily not being played by an actual Native American actress, yet they are okay with a female Doctor and a female Ghostbusters?

Similarly a lot of these female Doctor advocates are against an American Doctor like in this article here. The Depressing Disappointing Maleness of Doctor Who

By people like Mr Tardis Reviews "logic" then Milo Yiannopolous is a better choice for Xena the Warrior Princess than Lucy Lawless was.

After all gender doesn't matter when casting a character, but race and nationality do. Milo is Greek and Xena's Greek, whilst Lucy was a New Zealander who played it in an American accent, and Milo's LGBT and Xena's LGBT, whilst Lucy was straight.

So yes all of their moronic arguments say Milo was the better choice as hey, its one of the few times there's been a Greek female hero that's become popular around the world so it should be played by a Greek. That's just Hollywood making everything Americanized, and obviously only an actual LGBT person could play an LGBT character, and anyone who says that there are differences between men and women is a sexist who thinks women should never be allowed to play any leading roles, because he is a sad man baby.

burrunjor

burrunjor

We've degressed. And may I just add that the most neglected community, the disabled, still get the least representation. Probably why no one seems to hate the Tories have killed thousands of them.

Identity politics and SJW crap is the biggest weapon against actual left wing politics there has ever been.

Its designed by those at the top to keep those at the bottom fighting among themselves for stupid reasons. That's why people like George Soros funds divisive crap like BLM and the woman's march.

Its not out of the goodness of his former Nazi heart.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Genkimonk wrote:We've degressed. And may I just add that the most neglected community, the disabled, still get the least  representation. Probably why no one seems to hate the Tories have killed thousands of them.

I was watching an early 90s film called "Street Crimes" in which the main character's girlfriend is a blind woman. She uses her senses and hearing to snuff out an intruder in her house and she constantly tells her boyfriend not to treat her like fragile glass because she is still a person despite her disability.

And that was in the 90s! I actually find stuff from that era to be far more progressive. I could list a dozen action movies from that time that I own where the female is the cool as ice action star.

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

Fuck, they had more representation in the 60s. Danger Man has an episode where they use a blind persons incredible adaptation to their surrounds into tricking a criminal into the belief that the blind person could see and wittnessed the crime in order to lure them into a trap. Powerful stuff.

burrunjor

burrunjor

You got to hand it to the old carpet bagging, racist, war mongering, violent, crooked, lying, mentally unstable sociopath. She really doesn't give up trying to to be relevant, regardless of how humiliating it is for her, like blaming everyone but herself for her humiliating defeat, revealing that she bought a mansion next to the White House, watching her lecherous, perverted husband Bill oggle Iavanka, and Melanie Trump and Michelle Obama on tv, whilst she's right there, or even appearing in a cringey Grammy's skit.

This just further proves what I am saying about so many SJWs being money grubbing, lying, cunts who don't give a damn about the trivial bullshit they supposedly champion.

Remember when Hillary in the 90s demonzed black youths by calling them super predators?

I know its unusual for a politician to keep his or her promises, but can Trump please just get this bitch thrown in jail for all her crooked deals and crimes against humanity.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Similarly a lot of these female Doctor advocates are against an American Doctor like in this article here.

Personally, I've always found the whole "the Doctor MUST be played by a Brit" rule to be rather silly and arbitrary. So long as the actor in question suits the character really well then who the hell cares if he's not from the UK? British culture has never really been a huge part of the Doctor's character anyway, so it's not like it would feel particularly jarring or out of place in any way.

Anyone who says an American playing the Doctor is bad, but then says there's absolutely nothing wrong with a female Doctor is more full of shit than an old diaper.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

DeadManRising wrote:
Similarly a lot of these female Doctor advocates are against an American Doctor like in this article here.

Personally, I've always found the whole "the Doctor MUST be played by a Brit" rule to be rather silly and arbitrary. So long as the actor in question suits the character really well then who the hell cares if he's not from the UK? British culture has never really been a huge part of the Doctor's character anyway, so it's not like it would feel particularly jarring or out of place in any way.

Anyone who says an American playing the Doctor is bad, but then says there's absolutely nothing wrong with a female Doctor is more full of shit than an old diaper.

Agreed. Tom Hanks turned it down because he felt an American playing the role would not do the show's legacy any justice. He's talking bollocks. Having an American Doctor wouldn't be a detriment to the mythos at all. A female Doctor DOES hurt the show's legacy because the entire focus of the show in the public eye has changed dramatically to the point where long term fans aren't able to recognise their favourite show anymore.

burrunjor

burrunjor

So true, there are a few Americans I think would be great Doctors.

Bruce Campbell always struck me as being a brilliant potential Doctor. I'd imagine that far fewer people would have been annoyed had he pulled that hood down that Jodie Whittaker. "Aw Bwilliant".

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:

So true, there are a few Americans I think would be great Doctors.

Bruce Campbell always struck me as being a brilliant potential Doctor. I'd imagine that far fewer people would have been annoyed had he pulled that hood down that Jodie Whittaker. "Aw Bwilliant".

Who else is fed up with hearing about how representation matters? Scared11

Apparently we're all terrified by the fact that Jodie is a woman. Funny how we're the ones that get mocked but she's adored despite saying daft shit like this.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Ugh... How patronising.

We're not SCARED of a female Doctor, Jodie. We just don't fucking want one because it's impossible to take seriously and it completely breaks the show's history and lore with a sickening crack.

burrunjor

burrunjor

DeadManRising wrote:Ugh... How patronising.

We're not SCARED of a female Doctor, Jodie. We just don't fucking want one because it's impossible to take seriously and it completely breaks the show's history and lore with a sickening crack.      

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jodie is an amazing, Bwilliant actress who totally didn't get the part through a combo of nepotism and pandering.

There is nothing even remotely out of place with turning the Doctor into a woman. William Hartnell always played him as gender fluid.

And what about Missy. Even you can't deny that she channelled Delgado so superbly and you could imagine Delgado, Ainley and Roberts saying any of her lines and there would be no difference.

I for one am glad that people like Whovian Feminism finally have someone to look up to. It brings a tear to my eye that little girls when playing Doctor Who will no longer have to imagine themselves as the companions.

(PS this is actual shit I've had cucks say to me online.)

iank

iank

The more I see of her, the less I like her. Unbelievable arrogant dumbassery.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

I've always been utterly bewildered by all the people saying that Missy "channelled Delgado".

Missy was the absolute WORST incarnation of the Master in the show's history. And it's not just because turning the Master into a woman feels extremely out of place. Her actual portrayal of the character itself was awful and impossible to take seriously. Everything from the way she dressed, to the way she acted. She was like a twisted version of Mary Poppins. It was simply cringe worthy.

There's not an ounce of Delgado in her.

burrunjor

burrunjor

DeadManRising wrote:I've always been utterly bewildered by all the people saying that Missy "channelled Delgado".

Missy was the absolute WORST incarnation of the Master in the show's history. And it's not just because turning the Master into a woman feels extremely out of place. Her actual portrayal of the character itself was awful and impossible to take seriously. Everything from the way she dressed, to the way she acted. She was like a twisted version of Mary Poppins. It was simply cringe worthy.

There's not an ounce of Delgado in her.

Indeed, but you have no idea how many people say she channelled Delgado but got angry when I said that was crap. There was one guy, Phasershift on the Doctor Who Forum, who called me a lunatic for not seeing it, followed me to other forums (I stupidly tried to deny I was on the other forum when it was obvious it was me, but still shows you how creepy the guy is)

He even followed me to other non DW forums and tried to give me life lessons to be a better person.

Creepy behaviour for anyone, but its hilarious when what started it was me saying that Missy was not like Delgado!

TBH that just goes to show that Feminism is like Drugs. It not only lowers your IQ points but makes you divorced from any kind of objective reality. Only a moron or someone who was on drugs could even begin to say that Missy was like ANY previous Master, even Simm.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Sandra Bullock is getting in on the virtue signalling.

Sandra Bullock Cried When She Met Black Panther Cast

Isn't it funny how its always the celebs whose careers are over that suddenly care about representation?

Did she cry when Blade (an immeasurably better film) was made?

iank

iank

lol
If "diversity" is of great such import, how come there wasn't a single white heterosexual male in Class?

I think we all know the answer.

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:lol
If "diversity" is of great such import, how come there wasn't a single white heterosexual male in Class?

I think we all know the answer.

LOL remember this gem from Class.

TANYA: White people.
APRIL: White people what?
TANYA: Always so optimistic. Always so certain things are going to work out for you. Oh, well, because they usually do.
APRIL: My dad tried to kill me when I was eight.
TANYA: But you got your mum up walking again. Typical white-person happy ending.

Its funny that SJWs still go on about Tomb of the Cybermen being racist, whilst praising this crap.

Its also sad to see how far the Doctor Who franchise has fallen. Hey remember in 2010 when they did a very nuanced, sympathetic portrayal of Van Gogh?

I guess now the writers response to that would be "fuck Vincent he should check his white male privilege."

From this

From this to the above in 6 years. SJWs truly are a cancer to everything they latch onto.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum