burrunjor
iank
Genkimonk
Rawkuss
Boofer
DeadManRising
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Favourite Classic Who companions? 2nd March 2018, 5:11 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

For me it's a tie between Ace and Jamie McCrimmon. They're both incredibly likeable and capable companions who both complimented their respective Doctor's incredibly well. Loved the dynamic between the 2nd Doctor and Jamie, and Ace and seven had absolute bucketloads of chemistry between them.

Romana I also deserves an honourable mention. A very likeable character that complimented Tom Baker's Doctor extremely well. Plus, she was also rather easy on the eyes.

Boofer

Boofer

Sarah-Jane.

Brave, inquisitive and beautiful. Came into her own once Tom arrived on the scene, and was part of many of the best stories in the show's history.

The chemistry between her and Tom wasn't matched prior to his tenure or subsequently.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Jo and Sarah Jane and Romana, I think.

Oh and Vicki and Ian/Barbara (I count them as one cos they wouldn't have worked as well singularly. Though, that may be because of the rapport between the two actors).

Oddly, I wouldn't include Ace but McCoy's Doctor wouldn't have been as good without her, very much like Ian/Barbara. Some characters you just shouldn't split.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

I was thinking about Vicki the other day, and a thought occurred to me. Wouldn't it have been SO MUCH more shocking and poignant if Vicki was the one who died in The Dalek's Master Plan instead of Katarina?

The way Vicki was written out in The Myth Makers was stupid as hell, and it's kinda hard to feel sad over Katarina's death considering she only appeared in two episodes. (the first one she only had a total screen time of about five minutes) So imagine if Vicki sacrificed herself in The Dalek's Master Plan instead. That would have been one hell of a shocking moment... almost as shocking as Adric's death in Earthshock.

iank

iank

Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Leela and, top 3, The Brig, Romana 2, Ace.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

I just liked Liz and the 3rd Doctor. Equals...almost.

7Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 26th September 2018, 11:08 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ace, Vicki, Turlough, Ben, Polly, Steven and Zoe.

Last edited by Commander Maxil on 2nd November 2018, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 26th September 2018, 3:30 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Sarah Jane, Barbara, Ace, Romana (overall), Leela, and the Brig. Not sure who is the best out of that lot though.

9Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 26th September 2018, 3:35 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I actually quite like Nyssa as well. Tegan is OK; I have affection for the character. Sadly, the actress joined the other side...

10Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 26th September 2018, 4:32 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Maxil McCoy wrote:I actually quite like Nyssa as well. Tegan is OK; I have affection for the character. Sadly, the actress joined the other side...

Yeah with all her comments about sad Dinosaurs living in their basements and trashing the show that brought her fame, Janet Fielding sadly proved to a total arsehole.

Nyssa was okay. Great backstory, decent and likable actress, but kind of pushed to the background a bit much. Obviously you don't want the companion to take over, but there is a happy medium and Nyssa might have just been too much the other way.

11Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 26th September 2018, 9:29 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I forgot about Romana. I actually liked Lalla Ward a little bit more than Mary Tamm. That said, I thought both actresses were fabulous.

12Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 26th September 2018, 9:57 pm

iank

iank

I'm with Maxil. Smile

13Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 27th September 2018, 12:06 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Maxil McCoy wrote:I forgot about Romana. I actually liked Lalla Ward a little bit more than Mary Tamm. That said, I thought both actresses were fabulous.

Hard to say who was better. Romana 2 was a little bit of a female expy of the Doctor more than Romana 1, who was totally her own character.

However Lalla Ward's Romana had better chemistry with Tom. They were almost like an alien Steed and Mrs Peel. Lalla was also very funny and eccentric too, so much she was able to hold her own with Tom in his heyday, where as Romana 1 was a bit more of a straight man.

Both brilliant companions though. PS am I the only one that isn't too keen on Romana becoming President in the audios. I would have preferred to see her explore E-Space, a whole new universe, with different laws and planets to ours. Would have been an interesting spin off rather than more Gallifreyan politics. The Time Lords work better in moderation anyway.

14Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 27th September 2018, 12:41 am

iank

iank

I hate that shit and I consider it non-canonical. It's a total betrayal of the entire point and arc of her character in the original show. She's in E-Space AFAIC.

15Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 27th September 2018, 9:59 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:I hate that shit and I consider it non-canonical. It's a total betrayal of the entire point and arc of her character in the original show. She's in E-Space AFAIC.

Indeed, remember how depressed she is that she is supposed to be going back to Gallifrey because she wants to explore?

Now all of a sudden she is happy to not only be back there, but RULE it?

No surprise it was Paul Cornell who dreamed up that idea.

A spin off with Romana in E-Space could have been amazing. Its a whole other universe. Think of the creative possibilities.

16Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 15th October 2018, 8:50 pm

Rick Deckard 2.0

Rick Deckard 2.0

Tegannnnnnn but mainly because i'm on a fifth doctor thon

I tend to prefer those that challenge the doctor's intellect: Zoey, Liz, Romana, Nyssa

17Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 16th October 2018, 8:04 pm

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

Ace and Jamie for me.
Troughton & McCoy are my favorite Doctors.
The chemistry between Troughton & Hines/ McCoy & Aldred are the main reasons for that.

18Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 27th October 2018, 9:25 pm

Rick Deckard 2.0

Rick Deckard 2.0

19Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 27th October 2018, 10:03 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

For writing I prefer those that can make some resonance to the Doctor's cognition: I prefer it when he doesn't have to 'dumb down' too much for them, and by extension - the audience.

Also, that they are independently intriguing- with regards to backstory and character. Being only 'likeable' doesn't do too much for me.

With female companions, for mysterious reasons I find myself more inclined to those that are better looking.

Male companions more-so have to have quirks or, otherwise, invoking interesting character studies.

So, top 5:

Zoë, Romana (both), Peri.
The Brigadier, Jamie.

Peri is probably the odd one out, my defence: attractive, above-average intelligence, invites exotic dialogue options, droll background, and attractive.

20Favourite Classic Who companions?  Empty Re: Favourite Classic Who companions? 2nd November 2018, 11:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I have a great deal of fondness for Katarina. The decision to kill her off was extremely stupid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum