You are not connected. Please login or register

Fathead and Moftwat Suck Each Other Off In This Month's Doctor Who Magazine

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Zarius

Zarius

SMUG ALERT

In the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine former showrunners, Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat, interview each other, discussing their best scripts, leaving the show, and much more!

We have an exclusive extract below, where you can read some of Russell and Steven’s conversation…

Doctor Who Magazine Issue #551 is on sale from Thursday 30 April 2020. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.

Doctor Who Magazine issue 551

STEVEN: What do you think is your single best script for the show? If it’s one that people don’t talk about much, great!

RUSSELL: Hmmm. Gridlock. But maybe today it’s Tooth and Claw. That script works so hard. It’s got my favourite line, where Queen Victoria tells the legend of the Koh-i-Noor, that anyone who owns it will surely die. And the Doctor says, “Well, that’s true of anything, if you wait long enough.” He just demolishes the whole of superstition in one line, pow! So what’s your best script?

STEVEN: Oh, I suppose it has to be Blink, doesn’t it? The script that rewrote my future. Got me offered the Who job, I would think.

RUSSELL: No, I think it was yours from the moment Draft 1 of The Empty Child slammed on the desk. Actually, it was yours before that. You’re Steven Moffat, for God’s sake. I just nipped in like a thief.

STEVEN: My oddball choice would be Listen. It came and went, and I don’t suppose it’s winning any polls – but I thought it had its moments, in its melancholy way.

Your choices: I absolutely love Tooth and Claw. I watched it quite recently – it’s a non-stop barnstormer. But I think Gridlock is a great choice for your best Who script. Love, love that one. My wife was moved to tears by it. This means we both peaked in Series 3 though. In 2007. Thirteen years ago.

RUSSELL: It’s always tempting to ask, what would you change? What monster would you change, what costume, what cast member, what set? But that doesn’t come out well in print, because it always looks like you’re criticising a department. So, OK, pinning it down to you and you alone… what one line of dialogue would you change? Not mine, yours – hands off.

STEVEN: Hmmm. A single line? Not sure. I think I was usually pretty good at papering over bad moments with good lines. I don’t think, in either of our cases, the dialogue was ever a problem. But how about a whole scene? I don’t like Amy coming on to the Doctor at the end of Flesh and Stone. I mean the idea is good and sound – young girl reaches out after hours of deranging terror. But I played it for Coupling-style sitcom laughs. And it doesn’t work. Brilliant episode up till that point. Love the Doctor’s coup de grâce, the scene on the beach with River – even the moment when we cut to Amy’s house feels grand and epic. And then I screw it up with sniggering sex comedy. Bah! Lindsey Alford (as she was then) called me out on it, and I disagreed and stuck to my guns. And I was wrong, damn it. When Brian came on as my co-exec I got him to bring Lindsey with him as script exec, to keep me right. He married well, that boy.

RUSSELL: Why didn’t I call Planet of the Dead, The Sands of Death? We went all the way to an actual desert. Why didn’t I have sands in the title? Sands at Easter, water in November. That genuinely mystifies me!

And to think, there's whole more pages of this.

I do agree with Moffat's regrets over the end of Flesh and Stone though, and I do think Tooth and Claw and Gridlock are good ones from RTD, or at the very least some of his more bearable ones (though I was on Victoria's side by the end of T&C)

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=exclusive-former-doctor-who-showrunners-interview-each-other

burrunjor

burrunjor

That wasn't the worst interview I've read with them tbh. They were both fair in some ways about their own scripts.

I agree with Moff about Flesh and Stone. That is an absolute smasher of an episode, but the silly ending does let it down. It doesn't ruin the whole story of course, but it stops it from being perfect, which it more or less was up until that misguided, cringey moment.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Fathead and Moftwat Suck Each Other Off In This Month's Doctor Who Magazine Giphy

iank

iank

I'm just... so indifferent to all of it at present.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Zarius

Zarius

I read the interview, well, portions of it, Moffat talks a bit about how the Doctor's last incarnation is the 45th, and at some earlier point in HER timestream, River uploads him to the datacore in the library, and that he was 'Doctor Moon' the whole tim

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum